Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT

34 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I didn't see any references that Cimino was ever married, but that could mean anything. He lived in Paris for awhile but died in Beverly Hills.

I think there is a girlfriend mentioned in that great book about the making of "Heaven's Gate".

• Thanks 1

Just now, jaragon said:

I think there is a girlfriend mentioned in that great book about the making of "Heaven's Gate".

Maybe he was bisexual. I think it's kind of revealing that Clint Eastwood originally planned to direct THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT but then decided to let Cimino do it. Probably because he realized he didn't know the subject matter as well as Cimino, if the idea was to do a buddy film with a strong homosexual subtext.

Could we say Cimino was closer to the subject? Especially since he wrote the script and chose what its subject and themes would be. So it's interesting to me that Eastwood backed off from directing and put it into Cimino's capable hands.

• Like 3

I did not find anything about Cimino's sexuality but he did have a drastic change in looks from an dark hair male into an androgynous blonde.  His movies do explore the close relationship between men like the bromance between Robert DeNiro and Christopher Walken in " The Deer Hunter".  In his final film "The Sunchaser" we have another bromance between an uptight doctor and a teenage criminal. John Seda might be dying but he is photographed like a sex object

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I did not find anything about Cimino's sexuality but he did have a drastic change in looks from an dark hair male into an androgynous blonde.  His movies do explore the close relationship between men like the bromance between Robert DeNiro and Christopher Walken in " The Deer Hunter".  In his final film "The Sunchaser" we have another bromance between an uptight doctor and a teenage criminal. John Seda might be dying but he is photographed like a sex object

I don't think he was a heterosexual male. He might have been transitioning like Bruce Jenner. It doesn't matter to me. I still think he was a fantastic writer/director.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2018 at 7:28 PM, rayban said:

I only saw the cut version of "Heaven's Gate", but it was a very impressive film. 

Visually is a very impressive but it's just too long and self indulgent

On 6/11/2018 at 9:22 AM, TopBilled said:

I have to admit I am not familiar with all of Clint Eastwood's films of the 1970s. THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT was recently added to Starz. Interestingly there's no picture when the title lists on the Starz movies page. So I clicked on it thinking it was going to be a western, since it seemed like a good title for a western. Boy was I wrong!

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 6.15.46 AM.jpg

Instead THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT is an action/road comedy with Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges. It was made in 1973 and released in 1974 by United Artists (the last film Eastwood ever did for the independent studio). I did something different when I watched this film. I did not watch it with the sound. I put it on mute because I could tell with the opening credits it was filmed on location somewhere in the Pacific Northwest and I wanted to focus on the visuals.

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 6.17.03 AM.jpg

This also gave me a chance to study the body language of the two leads. While the movie was playing, I read some user reviews on the IMDb. One person, whose father is now apparently deceased, loves the film but says his father hated it because of its homoerotic undercurrent. Another person, in another write-up, called it a precursor to THELMA & LOUISE, which if you recall had a lesbian undercurrent. 

So are these buddy movies really movies about LGBT characters? Or are they mostly straight but made in a way that can be read in other ways by different audiences?

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 6.18.42 AM.jpg

I just saw it  and it's quite obvious that Clint and Jeff are couple not just as written but the way the cute Mr Bridges plays Lightfoot. Clint's Thunderbolt is clearly smitten with the young man in or out of drag.  They never kiss but they do exchange those phallic cigars.  It's interesting how the George Kennedy character really hates Jeff- is he he jealous of his bromance with Clint?  This is very exciting heist movie with a terrific chase scene climax.  The bittersweet fade out is very 1970's

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I just saw it  and it's quite obvious that Clint and Jeff are couple not just as written but the way the cute Mr Bridges plays Lightfoot. Clint's Thunderbolt is clearly smitten with the young man in or out of drag.  They never kiss but they do exchange those phallic cigars.  It's interesting how the George Kennedy character really hates Jeff- is he he jealous of his bromance with Clint?  This is very exciting heist movie with a terrific chase scene climax.  The bittersweet fade out is very 1970's

Glad you enjoyed it. Your write-up makes me want to watch it again! :) 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 6:22 AM, TopBilled said:

I have to admit I am not familiar with all of Clint Eastwood's films of the 1970s. THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT was recently added to Starz. Interestingly there's no picture when the title lists on the Starz movies page. So I clicked on it thinking it was going to be a western, since it seemed like a good title for a western. Boy was I wrong!

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 6.15.46 AM.jpg

Instead THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT is an action/road comedy with Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges. It was made in 1973 and released in 1974 by United Artists (the last film Eastwood ever did for the independent studio). I did something different when I watched this film. I did not watch it with the sound. I put it on mute because I could tell with the opening credits it was filmed on location somewhere in the Pacific Northwest and I wanted to focus on the visuals.

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 6.17.03 AM.jpg

This also gave me a chance to study the body language of the two leads. While the movie was playing, I read some user reviews on the IMDb. One person, whose father is now apparently deceased, loves the film but says his father hated it because of its homoerotic undercurrent. Another person, in another write-up, called it a precursor to THELMA & LOUISE, which if you recall had a lesbian undercurrent. 

So are these buddy movies really movies about LGBT characters? Or are they mostly straight but made in a way that can be read in other ways by different audiences?

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 6.18.42 AM.jpg

If you’ve never seen Clint Eastwood in the 1970s, you’ve missed some AWESOME entertainment. He was and still is the man.

• Like 3