Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Movie Mythinformation

52 posts in this topic

For many years, I had read in about eight million [okay, maybe really about three] movie books of mine that Fidel Castro was an extra, as a dancer, in a few Hollywood films of the 1940's, namely "Two Girls and a Sailor", "Holiday in Mexico" and "Easy to Wed".

Now due to this tantalizing bit of mythinformation, I have watched those films too many times, when once would have been enough, trying to spot good old Fidel dancing around merrily. I watch, and I watch yet never see anyone who looks like him and I wonder why.

Well, that burning question was answered a few years ago when I read a book discounting this rumor, saying that Fidel was not in any of the films as he was a student in Havana at the time and that this gossip got started way back when Xavier Cugat, made references in an interview, to hiring a certain famous personage, who was maybe something like a "South American general" to be a dancer, for music segments in films. Cugie's air of mystery about exactly who this was, stirred up interest and soon people began stating that it probably was Fidel Castro.

So now it seems this was just movie mythinformation, at its highest level. Of course, due to correction sometimes being then recorrected, perhaps someone has info that says Castro left his Havana school to visit the US and really was in Hollywood and the latest correction is incorrect, and if so I am happy to be given this for the dossier. Whatever the final result, I think this type of mythinformation goes round and round and no one ever knows where it will end up. So I am asking you, if you can rebut any famous or infamous movie mythinformation, please do so here and share with your fellow film buffs, so they will be saved, in similar circumstances, the time I wasted looking for Fidel for eons.

The mythinformation you choose does not have to just be about the movies per se, but can rebut gossip like the old rumor that John Kerr was really the illegitimate son of Franchot Tone. Now with the IMDB online, a person can easily look Kerr up to find his true parentage, but things like the Castro rumor are still being reported on the IMDB to this day surprisingly.

Thanks for any additions to this thread of legend corrections!

• Like 1

I have the perfect reply to this, but I also have troubles getting YouTube videos to work. What I am not doing right, or what I'm doing wrong?

Well CG, seeing as how you said "The mythinformation you choose does not have to just be about the movies per se". I'll now contribute the following to your thread:

"And I like my cigar too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while!"...

groucho+marx+you+bet+your+life.jpg

...and supposedly said by the one the only Groucho, and in response to a woman who as a contestant on his You Bet Your Life radio and then later television quiz show had replied to his query about why she had nineteen children...never happened. And, although such a risque comment would of course have fit his public image.

(...the best guess by the "Groucho cognoscenti" out there today is that Groucho DID once reply with the following response to another and younger lady who while also a contestant on his program had offered up the information that she was one of seventeen children in her immediate family, and then when later pressed by Groucho about how her father felt about having so many children and her reply back of, "Oh, my daddy loves children", Groucho quickly replied "Well, I like pancakes, but I don't have closets full of them!", that over the ensuing years THIS line had been "risqued up" with the "cigar" reference within the general lexicon)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There is a movie that had a mythical book within the plot..."Patton" (1970).

George Patton was reading a book titled The Tank in Battle.  There is no such book but Rommel did wrote one about tactics called Infantry Attacks (German: Infanterie greift an0)

51XA3H7TG9L._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 2

This is no biggie, but it bothered me at  the time(and still).....

In the movie THE DOORS('91) it shows VAL KILMER as JIM MORRISON jumping towards the camera with a smart-azz smile on his face as he sings the word "higher" in the song "Light My Fire" on the Ed Sullivan show( and singing it extra loud).  When in fact, he actually simply sang the word normally explaining afterwards that the band sang that song so much before getting on Sullivan's show that he sang it automatically, and honestly forgetting to change the word as he DID really promise to.  And his sincere apology to Ed was regrettably ignored.

Oh, and with Darg bringing up TV mythology, I'll add that it's been long debunked that when Arnold Palmer's wife was on Johnny Carson's old "Who do you trust" daytime game show, there never was an exchange in which Johnny asked her if she did anything related to superstition before Arnold had an important tournament, and supposedly she said, "I kiss his balls", and Johnny reportedly replied, "Well, THAT would make his putter flutter!"   But it too, ever really happened. And too, over the years it's been attributed to JACK NICKLAUS'S wife as well.

Sepiatone 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Don't blame the message board. I never have trouble posting YouTube videos.

I use Windows 10 and Google Chrome. I use the link tab in the message board and paste the YouTube link. Once in a while it works. Many times it is just a link. With photos, I drag and drop them, and it works. I was told to paste the link into the text window and press enter, which didn't work in my case. Somewhere is a compatibility issue, is my best guess. Anyway "Myth" at its best with Kermie, and a movie packed with stars. 

19 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

I use Windows 10 and Google Chrome. I use the link tab in the message board and paste the YouTube link. Once in a while it works. Many times it is just a link. With photos, I drag and drop them, and it works. I was told to paste the link into the text window and press enter, which didn't work in my case. Somewhere is a compatibility issue, is my best guess. Anyway "Myth" at its best with Kermie, and a movie packed with stars. 

I also use Windows 10 and Google Chrome. However, I don't use the link tab. I just copy and paste the url directly into the message box, and the video appears.

1 hour ago, jimmymac71 said:

Also make a point to hit the Enter key on your keyboard immediately after pasting the video link into this message area.  That will force it to embed the video clip.  That is something that takes place on your browser (at least on this forum).  I think some posters inadvertently do this without thinking about it, and still don't understand how it works.

2 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Also make a point to hit the Enter key on your keyboard immediately after pasting the video link into this message area.  That will force it to embed the video clip.  That is something that takes place on your browser (at least on this forum).  I think some posters inadvertently do this without thinking about it, and still don't understand how it works.

You gave me that advice before, and it didn't always work. When it does work, the process isn't automatic. I am asked between displaying as embedded or link in the text window. So, this will all be better when I switch to Linux? 

13 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

You gave me that advice before, and it didn't always work. When it does work, the process isn't automatic. I am asked between displaying as embedded or link in the text window. So, this will all be better when I switch to Linux? 

Never mind that message.  If you want, click on the "x" at the right to make it go away.  If you click on the middle of that message, where it says "click here to convert this to a link instead", then it will convert it to a link instead.

It has nothing to do with whatever operating system you use.  It is a standardized browser feature that (presumably) all browsers use.  I use the latest version of Firefox (it works exactly the same across different operating systems).  I presume Chrome isn't any different in those regards.

I only switched to Linux Mint for an operating system because I got fed up with Microsoft's broken automatic updates and forced upgrades.  I don't like reloading everyone's machines all the time, and Linux Mint is more laid back that way.

Yeah, well, gotta say I'm still trying to figure out what Jimmy's posting of that Muppet Movie bar scene with all the cameo appearances in it has to do with the subject of "Mythinformation"???

(...so Jimmy, please explain to me why you felt this would be a "perfect reply" to CG's thread premise, if you would)

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

This is no biggie, but it bothered me at  the time(and still).....

In the movie THE DOORS('91) it shows VAL KILMER as JIM MORRISON jumping towards the camera with a smart-azz smile on his face as he sings the word "higher" in the song "Light My Fire" on the Ed Sullivan show( and singing it extra loud).  When in fact, he actually simply sang the word normally explaining afterwards that the band sang that song so much before getting on Sullivan's show that he sang it automatically, and honestly forgetting to change the word as he DID really promise to.  And his sincere apology to Ed was regrettably ignored.

Oh, and with Darg bringing up TV mythology, I'll add that it's been long debunked that when Arnold Palmer's wife was on Johnny Carson's old "Who do you trust" daytime game show, there never was an exchange in which Johnny asked her if she did anything related to superstition before Arnold had an important tournament, and supposedly she said, "I kiss his balls", and Johnny reportedly replied, "Well, THAT would make his putter flutter!"   But it too, ever really happened. And too, over the years it's been attributed to JACK NICKLAUS'S wife as well.

Sepiatone 

Yep, and as you also probably know Sepia, Johnny also never told Zsa Zsa that he'd take her up on her offer if only she'd "move that damn cat off her lap", either.

• Haha 1

There are many movies based on historical people and/or events that have altered the facts to make the film more interesting. One of my favorite flicks is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I've read everything I could find about them and like the phrase on the screen said "most of what follows is true". Historical movies tend to romanticize the events. Movies about sports seem to exaggerate the most. Rudy, Brian's Song, and Hoosiers all took some literary liberties. Whenever I watch a movie "based on a true story", I do some research to make sure I know what really happened. Luckily, that does detract from my enjoyment of the film.

34 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, well, gotta say I'm still trying to figure out what Jimmy's posting of that Muppet Movie bar scene with all the cameo appearances in it has to do with the subject of "Mythinformation"???

(...so Jimmy, please explain to me why you felt this would be a "perfect reply" to CG's thread premise, if you would)

It was the first thing to enter my mind regarding the word myth. That gag shows up twice in the movie. "Myth, Myth. Yes!" Most of the time, CaveGirl is way over my head. I could ignore her threads, or have a wee bit of fun.

1 minute ago, jimmymac71 said:

It was the first thing to enter my mind regarding the word myth. That gag shows up twice in the movie. "Myth, Myth. Yes!" Most of the time, CaveGirl is way over my head. I could ignore her threads, or have a wee bit of fun.

Aaaah...of course! NOW I get it! Thanks, Jimmy.

And yeah, I'd say that that was a pretty clever use of that clip in this case, too.

(...can't believe this went right over my head here)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

And yeah, I'd say that that was a pretty clever use of that clip in this case, too.

It is sad that Disney owns all this content. The Muppet Movie would play as a wonderful 'classic' on TCM.

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

"Good grief, a running gag."  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

Love the puns, vaudeville, gags, and tunes in this movie.  I go "Gaga! Gaga!" for it.

• Like 1

I was beginning to think someone was TYPING with a lisp.  

And, how come THAT word isn't spelled L-I-T-H-P?  ;)

Or why of course, the word PHONETIC isn't spelled "fonetik" or(if you will) phonetically?  

Sepiatone

Here's a piece of trivia that I've heard for years that I think it is questionable. I've seen it online and in print. It's about the 1932 movie, "Freaks." The cited passage is from IMDB's trivia page on the film:

A woman who attended a 1932 test screening for the film claimed later that she suffered a miscarriage resulting from the film's shocking nature, and threatened to sue MGM.

Did this really happen? Who was she? Who was her lawyer? When did she screen it? The story is fragrant with the air of a PR department. In those days even adverse news like stars feuding on sets or unhappy shoots could be fodder for a studio hungry for any way to stand apart from the competition.

Does anyone know any more about this?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Klaatu said:

Here's a piece of trivia that I've heard for years that I think it is questionable. I've seen it online and in print. It's about the 1932 movie, "Freaks." The cited passage is from IMDB's trivia page on the film:

A woman who attended a 1932 test screening for the film claimed later that she suffered a miscarriage resulting from the film's shocking nature, and threatened to sue MGM.

Did this really happen? Who was she? Who was her lawyer? When did she screen it? The story is fragrant with the air of a PR department. In those days even adverse news like stars feuding on sets or unhappy shoots could be fodder for a studio hungry for any way to stand apart from the competition.

Does anyone know any more about this?

Yes, Klaatu. I know.

In Autumn of 1932, one Mrs. Ida Shudastaydhom (I think that's Swedish) of Massapequa NY contacted her lawyer Malachi Howe(of the law firm Dewey, Screwem and Howe) after attending a screening of the aforementioned Tod Browning film at the old Rialto movie house in Manhattan, and with the intent of filing a lawsuit against the producers of said film because she claimed it caused her to miscarriage.

However upon further investigation, it was determined that Mrs. Ida Shudastaydhom (yeah, I'm pretty sure that IS Swedish) was never pregnant at all and had merely been suffering from an acute case of indigestion as a result of eating the overpriced Rialto snack bar's popcorn that had been covered with rancid butter.

(...see?!...some things never change, huh...I'm talkin' about the lousy overpriced popcorn ya get at movie theaters, not how litigious we Americans are...although I suppose that kind'a thing would apply here too, huh) 

• Haha 2

On 6/11/2018 at 9:27 PM, jimmymac71 said:

I have the perfect reply to this, but I also have troubles getting YouTube videos to work. What I am not doing right, or what I'm doing wrong?

Hmmm, perhaps you didn't pay the electric bill, Jimmy?