Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Movie Mythinformation

49 posts in this topic

On 6/12/2018 at 8:20 AM, Sepiatone said:

This is no biggie, but it bothered me at  the time(and still).....

In the movie THE DOORS('91) it shows VAL KILMER as JIM MORRISON jumping towards the camera with a smart-azz smile on his face as he sings the word "higher" in the song "Light My Fire" on the Ed Sullivan show( and singing it extra loud).  When in fact, he actually simply sang the word normally explaining afterwards that the band sang that song so much before getting on Sullivan's show that he sang it automatically, and honestly forgetting to change the word as he DID really promise to.  And his sincere apology to Ed was regrettably ignored.

Oh, and with Darg bringing up TV mythology, I'll add that it's been long debunked that when Arnold Palmer's wife was on Johnny Carson's old "Who do you trust" daytime game show, there never was an exchange in which Johnny asked her if she did anything related to superstition before Arnold had an important tournament, and supposedly she said, "I kiss his balls", and Johnny reportedly replied, "Well, THAT would make his putter flutter!"   But it too, ever really happened. And too, over the years it's been attributed to JACK NICKLAUS'S wife as well.

Sepiatone 

Those possibly apocryphal stories do entertain and that must be why they persist.

I agree with your exegesis of the Jim Morrison story, and have it on dvd in a boxed set to watch and enjoy. I do believe that someone from Ed's staff later entered the dressing room and said something to the effect that the Doors would never do the Sullivan show again, and the group said something like "We've already done the Sullivan show." A similar incident would be Bo Diddley appearing on Ed's program and also being told to sing one song, but he ended up doing the other song instead, which irked Ed. Poor old Bo, had a boo boo but he sure sounded good.

The most notable story about Ed was the bit about him demanding that all performers singing, do it live, until of course he heard Gary Lewis of the Playboys in rehearsal and apparently allowed him to lip sync, being that his voice was not so appealing.

Thanks for the memories of Carson stories and there's also the one about Eva or Zsa Zsa being asked about her kitten by Johnny, but we won't go there.

On 6/12/2018 at 1:07 PM, Hoganman1 said:

There are many movies based on historical people and/or events that have altered the facts to make the film more interesting. One of my favorite flicks is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I've read everything I could find about them and like the phrase on the screen said "most of what follows is true". Historical movies tend to romanticize the events. Movies about sports seem to exaggerate the most. Rudy, Brian's Song, and Hoosiers all took some literary liberties. Whenever I watch a movie "based on a true story", I do some research to make sure I know what really happened. Luckily, that does detract from my enjoyment of the film.

I'm just like you, Hoganman. I like to know the true story but can suspend belief if necessary. I will say, the real Sundance was one attractive dude and better looking than Redford, so no wonder Etta Place dug him!

On 6/12/2018 at 1:33 PM, jimmymac71 said:

It was the first thing to enter my mind regarding the word myth. That gag shows up twice in the movie. "Myth, Myth. Yes!" Most of the time, CaveGirl is way over my head. I could ignore her threads, or have a wee bit of fun.

Pulleeeeze, Jimmy! Always have a "wee bit of fun" with my threads no matter how obtuse they are, since your input is appreciated.

On 6/13/2018 at 8:16 AM, Sepiatone said:

I was beginning to think someone was TYPING with a lisp.  

And, how come THAT word isn't spelled L-I-T-H-P?  ;)

Or why of course, the word PHONETIC isn't spelled "fonetik" or(if you will) phonetically?  

Sepiatone

Didn't some ancient king in Spain lisp, and to cover it, he made everyone in the country pronounce things with a lisp? I'm sure some history major can post what king that might have been, since I've forgotten.

On 6/13/2018 at 1:42 PM, Klaatu said:

Here's a piece of trivia that I've heard for years that I think it is questionable. I've seen it online and in print. It's about the 1932 movie, "Freaks." The cited passage is from IMDB's trivia page on the film:

A woman who attended a 1932 test screening for the film claimed later that she suffered a miscarriage resulting from the film's shocking nature, and threatened to sue MGM.

Did this really happen? Who was she? Who was her lawyer? When did she screen it? The story is fragrant with the air of a PR department. In those days even adverse news like stars feuding on sets or unhappy shoots could be fodder for a studio hungry for any way to stand apart from the competition.

Does anyone know any more about this?

Hey, Michael Re...I mean Klaatu, Man of my Dreams, I've heard that tale too since I love reading about the production of "Freaks". Now I first heard that from my grandmother who saw the film when it came out, and told of some of the objections. She also said she had attended many sideshows that would travel the country and had seen most of the performers in the flick, like Johnny Eck, The Snow girls, Prince Randian, Schlitzie and particularly the Hilton Twins. So that tale of a miscarriage was even legendary before it went into print, but whether true or not I don't know, but will enjoy researching. I have a book at home that I will check and thanks for bringing this up. It seems rather silly but did make the grapevine apparently. And you are right, one wonders if the PR department cooked it up themselves for some home grown publicity. I love Schlitzie by the way and there's some fine mythinformation, since movies dressed him as a girl but Schlitzie was really a boy, as if he even looked like a girl!

On 6/13/2018 at 2:38 PM, Dargo said:

Yes, Klaatu. I know.

In Autumn of 1932, one Mrs. Ida Shudastaydhom (I think that's Swedish) of Massapequa NY contacted her lawyer Malachi Howe(of the law firm Dewey, Screwem and Howe) after attending a screening of the aforementioned Tod Browning film at the old Rialto movie house in Manhattan, and with the intent of filing a lawsuit against the producers of said film because she claimed it caused her to miscarriage.

However upon further investigation, it was determined that Mrs. Ida Shudastaydhom (yeah, I'm pretty sure that IS Swedish) was never pregnant at all and had merely been suffering from an acute case of indigestion as a result of eating the overpriced Rialto snack bar's popcorn that had been covered with rancid butter.

(...see?!...some things never change, huh...I'm talkin' about the lousy overpriced popcorn ya get at movie theaters, not how litigious we Americans are...although I suppose that kind'a thing would apply here too, huh) 

This post is also a miscarriage of justice...and humor, mostly stolen from one Julius Henry Marx.

For shame, Dargo!

Wow! I'd never heard that story before now. It kind of reminds me of the Orson Wells radio show of "War of the Worlds" on Halloween back in the late 30s. People went nuts. Many actually thought the Martians were actually attacking us. 

• Like 1

The miscarriage is dubious but I do know that some people got a bit carried away while viewing horror movies. My grandmother, who wasn't exactly a poster child for mental health, viewed the 1931 Frankenstein. When the creature's hand started to tremble, possibly aided and abetted by Dr. Frankenstein's cries of "It's alive!" grandma sprang from her seat, pointed at the screen and screamed, "Oh my God! He's coming to life." At that point she went into a dead faint.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Wow! I'd never heard that story before now. It kind of reminds me of the Orson Wells radio show of "War of the Worlds" on Halloween back in the late 30s. People went nuts. Many actually thought the Martians were actually attacking us. 

That wouldn't fall under misinformation / mythinformation but people tuning in late not hearing the introduction. (time conflict with another radio show) Wells convincing radio acting also help to fuel the panic. 

The "panic" was localized and overblown by the media (duh how things haven't change)

Find it a bit funny because people should have known the Sunday schedule of the Mercury Theater on The Air which broadcast at 8:00 PM  (recently moved from 9:00 PM)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hamradio said:

That wouldn't fall under misinformation / mythinformation but people tuning in late not hearing the introduction. (time conflict with another radio show) Wells convincing radio acting also help to fuel the panic. 

The "panic" was localized and overblown by the media (duh how things haven't change)

Find it a bit funny because people should have known the Sunday schedule of the Mercury Theater on The Air which broadcast at 8:00 PM  (recently moved from 9:00 PM)

And so, thus, the MYTHinformation.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

A few weeks back and during TCM's Memorial Day weekend programming of war films, nasally Ben mentioned during his wraparound for the movie The Battle of The Bulge that former President Dwight D. Eisenhower was so incensed over all the "mythinformation" he found contained within it that he was prompted to hold a press conference and denounce the film.

(...some of you folks around here might remember ol' Ike, I'm sure...he was a President back in a day when unlike presently, Presidents actually acted presidential...yeah yeah, I JUST couldn't resist saying this last part, again...oh, and also of course that thing up there I said about "nasally Ben", and 'cause THAT'S no "mythinformation" EITHER!!!)

LOL

I'd like to address this "nasally" obsession you have concerning Ben Mankiewicz Darg.

He doesn't sound all that "nasally" to ME, especially compared to many people I know.  ;)  

And also...compared to DUSTIN HOFFMANN, Ben's practically a JOHN GIELGUD!  :D 

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I'd like to address this "nasally" obsession you have concerning Ben Mankiewicz Darg.

He doesn't sound all that "nasally" to ME, especially compared to many people I know.  ;)  

And also...compared to DUSTIN HOFFMANN, Ben's practically a JOHN GIELGUD!  :D 

Sepiatone

Hmmmm, did you say "obsession" here, Sepia? Hmmmm, ya know you might just be right in calling this thing that.

You see, I've even noticed myself lately getting to the point with this whole thing of actually vocally mimicking Ben every time I hear him say the word "actor" or "actress" on my TV, and phonetically in HIS case of course sounding like he's saying "ACK-tor" and "ACK-tress". Yep, I do this right out loud!

YOU know, it's kind'a like how Gilbert Gottfried sounded when he was doing those voice-overs for that CGI animated duck in those insurance company commercials and said that company's name.

So yeah, perhaps this whole thing HAS turned into some sort of an "obsession" with me here, huh.

Do ya have any suggestions about how I might be able to get over this?

(...you see, other than whenever Ben utters THOSE two words, well primarily anyway, I don't seem to mimic him at all and will just sit quietly and take in the info he imparts to us) 

;)

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dargo said:

A few weeks back and during TCM's Memorial Day weekend programming of war films, nasally Ben mentioned during his wraparound for the movie The Battle of The Bulge that former President Dwight D. Eisenhower was so incensed over all the "mythinformation" he found contained within it that he was prompted to hold a press conference and denounce the film.

(...some of you folks around here might remember ol' Ike, I'm sure...he was a President back in a day when unlike presently, Presidents actually acted presidential...yeah yeah, I JUST couldn't resist saying this last part, again...oh, and also of course that thing up there I said about "nasally Ben", and 'cause THAT'S no "mythinformation" EITHER!!!)

LOL

If Colonel Tom Parker had been Ike's campaign manager, he would have made a mint by printing up "I Hate Ike" buttons along with the "I Like Ike" ones, as he did for Elvis, thus making money off both sides and then Mamie would have had more money to buy new curtains for the White House as she redecorated.

Speaking of mythinformation please don't follow up your post with any lies and prevarications about Estes Kefauver, Dargo who also was a bit nasally sounding!

31 minutes ago, Dargo said:

YOU know, it's kind'a like how Gilbert Gottfried sounded when he was doing those voice-overs for that CGI animated duck in those insurance company commercials and said that company's name.

Mentioning Gottfried and Ben in the same post.   Man,  you fight dirty! 

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Mentioning Gottfried and Ben in the same post.   Man,  you fight dirty! 

I heard Dargo sounds a lot like Foghorn Leghorn!

And have I mentioned, Dargo that I think Foghorn Leghorn has a lovely speaking voice.

3 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I heard Dargo sounds a lot like Foghorn Leghorn!

And have I mentioned, Dargo that I think Foghorn Leghorn has a lovely speaking voice.

I didn't realize he had a name. I had to look up Foghorn Leghorn. I have to agree with Dargo, as there are a terrible number of TV voices that drive me up a wall. I am not a Noir Alley kinda guy, but he is the best sounding host.

10 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

I didn't realize he had a name. I had to look up Foghorn Leghorn. I have to agree with Dargo, as there are a terrible number of TV voices that drive me up a wall. I am not a Noir Alley kinda guy, but he is the best sounding host.

Dargo is the "best sounding host" you say, Jimmy?

I gotta agree. And Dargo looks the best too since his lookalike, James Coburn is much more attractive than Eddie Muller, and Dar probably knows more about wine too.

And pardon me, Jimmy for mentioning that this is a serious gap in your education if you had to look up Foghorn Leghorn. Why were you not watching cartoons during your formative years and destroying your mind like the rest of us. By the way, Foghorn was based on a radio character from the Fred Allen show, called Senator Claghorn, in case you are interested. Fred is way before my time, but my grandpa had some old radio broadcasts of him and company so I know the characters.

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

Dargo is the "best sounding host" you say, Jimmy?

I gotta agree. And Dargo looks the best too since his lookalike, James Coburn is much more attractive than Eddie Muller, and Dar probably knows more about wine too.

And pardon me, Jimmy for mentioning that this is a serious gap in your education if you had to look up Foghorn Leghorn. Why were you not watching cartoons during your formative years and destroying your mind like the rest of us. By the way, Foghorn was based on a radio character from the Fred Allen show, called Senator Claghorn, in case you are interested. Fred is way before my time, but my grandpa had some old radio broadcasts of him and company so I know the characters.

I lived in the boonies as a kid. We had an 'aerial' up in a tree, and had what was called twin lead wire to the house. This was before coaxial cable. Do you remember the flat antenna wire? We didn't get a lot of TV channels, but I did watch cartoons. I didn't pay attention to the names of the characters.

So, my dear, who is Sweetums?

2 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

I lived in the boonies as a kid. We had an 'aerial' up in a tree, and had what was called twin lead wire to the house. This was before coaxial cable. Do you remember the flat antenna wire? We didn't get a lot of TV channels, but I did watch cartoons. I didn't pay attention to the names of the characters.

So, my dear, who is Sweetums?

Frankly my dear, I don't do Muppet trivia but I do know of a Snooky, namely Snooky Lanson who my granny loved on "Your Hit Parade". She once said putting a slice of baloney [bologna] on your rabbit ears could improve reception.

2 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Frankly my dear, I don't do Muppet trivia but I do know of a Snooky, namely Snooky Lanson who my granny loved on "Your Hit Parade". She once said putting a slice of baloney [bologna] on your rabbit ears could improve reception.

Someday you will watch The Muppet Movie and thank me. Sweetums is bigger than Dolly Parton. Okay, way taller. From experience with family closer to the big stick transmitting TV signals, it was tin foil.

So, that's no fun, you won't cave to my trivia?

Wait, what is this thread about again?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

Someday you will watch The Muppet Movie and thank me. Sweetums is bigger than Dolly Parton. Okay, way taller. From experience with family closer to the big stick transmitting TV signals, it was tin foil.

So, that's no fun, you won't cave to my trivia?

Wait, what is this thread about again?

Uh, yeah...what is this thread about? Beach Boys? Gone With the Wind? Have you even noticed the Muppets have wrap around mouths like Alanis Morrisette? Not a pretty picture...

20 hours ago, Dargo said:

Hmmmm, did you say "obsession" here, Sepia? Hmmmm, ya know you might just be right in calling this thing that.

You see, I've even noticed myself lately getting to the point with this whole thing of actually vocally mimicking Ben every time I hear him say the word "actor" or "actress" on my TV, and phonetically in HIS case of course sounding like he's saying "ACK-tor" and "ACK-tress". Yep, I do this right out loud!

So yeah, perhaps this whole thing HAS turned into some sort of an "obsession" with me here, huh.

Do ya have any suggestions about how I might be able to get over this?

(...you see, other than whenever Ben utters THOSE two words, well primarily anyway, I don't seem to mimic him at all and will just sit quietly and take in the info he imparts to us) 

;)

:D

Well, Darg, most people I talk to, and whenever they say those same two words ALSO put the accent (emphasis) on the first syllable, as do most people who might on occasion say both or either one of those two words.  And to the best of my memory, I've NEVER heard Ben say either and sound anything LIKE that insurance duck. 

And especially after living nine years in the Barrio (or, Bar-r-r-io) Ben's enunciation is kinda refreshing.  ;)

Sepiatone