Walt3rd

Cabin the Sky - whatever Lena wants...

18 posts in this topic

In today’s lecture, cabin in the sky was compared to other supernatural films of the time, as in Here comes Mr. Jordan, etc.   I think a better example, especially thematically, would be the 1950’s musical Damn Yankees, in which the Devil tries to lure a basically decent man with a good, loving, caring wife away with the help of a temptress.   

walt3rd

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Walt3rd said:

In today’s lecture, cabin in the sky was compared to other supernatural films of the time, as in Here comes Mr. Jordan, etc.   I think a better example, especially thematically, would be the 1950’s musical Damn Yankees, in which the Devil tries to lure a basically decent man with a good, loving, caring wife away with the help of a temptress.   

walt3rd

I always took umbrage with the title of that movie...?

The upcoming film, Cabin in the Sky is a great chance to see some wonderful, singing, dancing and ofc acting. But perhaps the best thing about it is being able to soak in John W. “Bubbles” Sublett. Bubbles is one of my favorite tap dancers after Fred Astaire but so few ppl know of him today. When I was young, it was still possible to see him on, The Lucy Show, a Barbra Streisand special, with Judy Garland in her 1967 Palace Theater Show, touring with the USO during the Vietnam War or on the Jerry Lewis weekly variety show.

But that was a long time ago and you hardly hear him talked of today. And that’s unfortunate and why I was so happy to hear Drs. Ament and Edwards talk about him today and his terrific dance scene with Duke Ellington and his band in Cabin in the Sky. But he was famous even before this movie. Performing as the original Sportin’ Life in George Gershwin’s, Porgy and Bess, teaming with Ford “Buck” Washington as the duo Buck and Bubbles headlining the Vaudeville stage with the likes of Eddie Cantor and Al Jolson. Buck and Bubbles were the first black artists to play Radio City Music Hall and the first black artists to appear on television in the world when recorded by the BBC.

He is considered the, Father of Rhythm Tap and taught rhythm tap to many famous dancers including Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell. In fact, Astaire wears blackface and wears the costume of Sportin’ Life in the number, Bojangles in Swing Time. Though it was Bill Robinson Astaire was paying homage to it was John Bubbles he based his dancing on and John Bubbles whom he called to assist him in the number.

So check out Mr. John W. Bubbles Sublett on YouTube and enjoy him in, Cabin in the Sky.

“Shoot the liquor to me, John Boy”

491595A8-326F-42A5-AF61-E1B6065AFA0F.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Cabin in the Sky movie 1943

Addressing the moonwalk clip

I had noticed the moonwalk before in old movies (Probably this movie) then called backsliding the info said...I instantly thought of M Jackson of course as everyone would who follows pop music...I knew when I saw it years ago that it was the same as moonwalk...I was surprised though to see it in the old movies...it has adapted very well to pop looks like...I wonder how many people know it is not original to modern times & pop music?

I'm looking forward to re-watching Cabin in the Sky & hope I'm not asleep :) when it comes on tomorrow night

NOTE:   I may drop back in here to reply to the cinematography that Dr.s Ament & Edwards were discussing in their lecture video concerning the style of V Minnelli...light, shadow, silhouette...I'll have to re-watch the movie for that :)

• Like 2

I have seen Cabin in the Sky many times. It is a joy to watch. Ethel Waters is wonderful. She is the heart and soul of the film. Her singing is joyful and hopeful when her relationship with Little Joe is good and mournful and tragic when it is bad. What a performance!  Lena Horne is all sugar and spice and a temptress.  She adds these qualities to her singing in the picture.  But Ethel Waters is the star. She is the emotional heart of the film. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Was glad to finally be able to view Cabin In The Sky.  I knew two of the songs, "Taking A Chance On Love" and "Happiness Is A Thing Called Joe" but never knew it from the musical.  Heard Ethel Waters on tv in her later years but am glad to now hear younger self.  A Fan Is Born!  

I could feel and relate to the emotion she exuded singing "Happiness Is A Thing Called Joe"

• Like 2

Ethel was terrific in Cabin in the Sky...I especially love her performance in Member of the Wedding also. That woman can break your heart.   Multi-talented.  

If you have the DVD of Cabin in the Sky, listen to the audio commentary.  Very interesting. 

Oh, mercy. How did I live all of this time without watching Cabin in the Sky? It was gorgeous to the point of being overwhelming, and Ethel Waters was luminescent in it. She has always been something of a revelation in terms of her person and her talents, but she took her character portrayal in this film to a place few actors go...she was so relatable. Cabin in the Sky has a quality few films possess—its characters exude humanity, even though the story is allegory. 

• Like 1

I was surprised that the song Sweet Georgia Brown 

was not sung in the movie even tho the songs are

great. I read somewhere that there was static 

between Lena and Ethel does anyone know anything

about that???

On 6/11/2018 at 9:44 PM, arpirose said:

Why didn't you use STORMY WEATHER STARRING LENA HORN?

If Stormy Weather had been used not only do we get to see Lena, but also Bill "Bo Jangles" Robinson, Fats Waller, and the world famous Katherine Dunham and her dance troupe. Go figure.

You are so right about the superlative cast. This too is a missed opportunity by the network. The network can get these films easily.  They do not cost much.  It is free advertising for Fox.

Here is CAB CALLAWAY, NICHOLAS BROTHERS AND BILL BOJANGLES ROBINSON: