Dr. Vanessa Theme Ament

DAILY DOSE OF DELIGHT #6 (From TWO JUDY GARLAND FILMS)

357 posts in this topic

1.What was the first Judy Garland film you recall watching? What was your impression of her? I'm sure it was the Wizard of Oz. I loved her pure vocal quality

2.How do you view her differently after viewing these clips than you might have viewed her previously? I didn't realize that she was such a talented dancer. She certainly kept up with Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly.

3. What films in her later career come to mind as examples of her increasing ability to capture an audience's imagination as a storyteller when she sings a lyric? She was amazing in A Star is Born.

My first recollection of Judy Garland is, like so many others, in Wizard of O, which we watched every time it was broadcast.  I don't recall her in later films as much as I do on her TV show.  I just loved to watch her put herself into a song.  In that respect, I guess I'm now focusing more on her acting and noticing that she a great talent in that area as well.

13 hours ago, Dr. Vanessa Theme Ament said:

1.What was the first Judy Garland film you recall watching? What was your impression of her?

The first film was Wizard of Oz.  I was born in 1960...the tv generation. I have been told I stayed awake thru the film and I was about 6 months old. There's no question that I loved her.  No matter where I live or how I change she will always be a huge influence on my life. I'm alone, I have troubles, so did she.  She rose above every barrier until the day she died.  In my little kid eyes I thought she had be part of my family. She was so true.

2.How do you view her differently after viewing these clips than you might have viewed her previously?

I don't see her differently.  I see the baggy pants tramp dancing w all the silliness of Judy's own raw sense of humor.  As for the dance w Gene...her hair falling over her face is so natural.  Love that.

3. What films in her later career come to mind as examples of her increasing ability to capture an audience's imagination as a storyteller when she sings a lyric?

A Star is Born and I Could Go On Singing. Star is Judy's story.. she tells her life in song.  Singing strictly for one scene..when she speaks of how she can perform, when she wants to.  And the concert performances when she literally rips her guts out and sings for the world to see.  I often think Judy died of giving too much.

I don't remember what the first Judy Garland movie was I've seen. Probably the Wizard of Oz. When I was little, it used to come on TV every year and I liked it until the flying monkey's swooped in, then I was done. So it was years before I saw the movie all the way through. What made me fall in love with Judy was her voice. I couldn't understand how a girl that young could have such an amazing grown-up voice. I love all of her movies and I'm a big fan of her TV show too.

I have seen the movies these clips are from and it hasn't changed my opinion of Judy. She will always be one of my favorites and nobody can sing like she did. I do feel sad that the studios took advantage of her and worked her so hard. They had her taking drugs to get more work out of her and she struggled with her health for the rest of her life. It's a miracle she lived as long as she did. 

She was wonderful in "The Good Old Summertime" with Van Johnson. I loved the "Harvey Girls" too--that film doesn't get enough attention as it should. I've seen all of her films and she always lights up the screen. Sheer perfection. And she is an excellent storyteller, I used to watch her on talk shows and she could tell such great stories--such an entertaining talk show guest too.

Like most, the first I remember seeing Judy Garland was Wizard of Oz.  I would think that I was glad that I was not Dorothy because of all she went through.

It was good to see her leading in adult roles.

1. The first Judy Garland film I recall watching, like most, is The Wizard of Oz. I was immediately taken with her; she just had this presence that demands your attention, even if you aren't necessarily old enough to analytically understand that or comprehend why at the time. Every scene she was in, your eyes automatically went to her.

2. I view Judy Garland with even more respect and admiration than I did before watching these clips. I was familiar with the clip from For Me and My Gal, by I had not seen the one from Easter Parade. Having the two side by side really helped me to compare how she could be funny, but also sweet and continue to demand your attention no matter how small an action she was performing. She also shows more of that adult maturity in her emotions that we are on the cusp of in The Wizard of Oz, where she is still a kid playing a kid, but in these roles, she is a young adult playing and portraying the complexity of a young adult. It's really amazing how she can do it all, and do it all so well.

3. The biggest example that pops to my mind as an example of her increasing ability to capture the audience's attention is her performance of "Get Happy" in Summer Stock. That is such a visually simple scene, but she makes it everything. The way she dances, the way she sings, and the way she reacts to the things going on around her without every losing her flow makes it all look so effortless and impossible to tear your eyes off of.

Oh man....I could go on for HOURS about Judy....I completely adore her in every way!! Thank you for focusing on her!

1. What was the first Judy Garland film you recall watching? What was your first impression of her?

My first Judy film (I think) and my first ever time seeing color TV!!! was the Wizard of Oz. I was over-the-moon in every way. My parents loved film and music so she was playing in our house quite a bit.

1. How do you view her differently after viewing these clips than you might have viewed her previously?

Watching these clips - movies I have seen hundreds of time - was great with a little more information from our instructors. I watched more closely - and realized Judy actually danced BETTER than Astaire in this number for Easter Parade! 

1. What films in her later career come to mind as examples of her increasing ability to capture an audience’s imagination as a storyteller when she sings a lyric?

A Star Is Born - no contest. "The Man that Got Away" will break your heart. It is my all time favorite Garland classic.

If you want a real comparison and treat - Listen to Judy's rendition of Ethel Water's "My Little Joe"  from Cabin in the Sky. Have Tissues Handy.

14 hours ago, Dr. Vanessa Theme Ament said:

1.What was the first Judy Garland film you recall watching? What was your impression of her?

I was going to say The Wizard of Oz was the first Judy Garland movie I saw, but then I remembered watching the Andy Hardy movies on Sunday after church with my mom. Ms. Garland always seemed so cheerful and fun in those movies. 

2.How do you view her differently after viewing these clips than you might have viewed her previously?

After watching these clips, my original impression remains. She had an aura about her that exuded cheerfulness (regardless of what may have actually been true). It proves that she was a master at conveying what her audience sought. 

3. What films in her later career come to mind as examples of her increasing ability to capture an audience's imagination as a storyteller when she sings a lyric?  I don't recall seeing much of her outside of the Andy Hardy movies and Wizard except television appearances. So, to comment appropriately would require watching more of her movies (of which 2 are queued up and ready when I get time). 

My first Judy Garland film was the Wizard of Oz. It was on TV and in black and white because that's what we had for a TV. I absolutely believed in Dorothy, but now, so many years later, re-watching Wizard, I expected to feel a sense of corn around Over the Rainbow. It isn't there. I suppose I thought that now, so much older and more jaded, I might see behind the sincerity and find show biz. No. Judy still sings Over the Rainbow as she did when I was young and seeing her for the first time.

My next Judy Garland experience was her TV show and, unlike so many of you, I wasn't a fan. I didn't like the way she looked and I didn't like her music or her voice. I think that at that time in her life she was struggling so with her addictions and emotional problems and may have even taken on the TV show due to being swindled and in debt. So I didn't find her relatable at all. Thanks to TCM, I have since seen many of her movies, from Andy Hardy films to Easter Parade. I find her very funny in most of her movies. Such a subtle kind of comedy. And, I enjoy her voice much more as an adult than I did when I was younger. However, I still don't find her attractive and the hairstyles they put on her, many times, only emphasized that for me. 

I saw the Harvey Girls for the first time today and I think the scene where she takes 2 six-guns into the Alhambra to retrieve the steak is hilarious. As for songs, Get Happy is a favorite. I heard her sing it with Barbra Streisand on a Barbra Streisand TV special. Judy sang Get Happy and Barbra sand Happy Days Are Here Again at the same time. It was great to hear those two voices together. 

I suppose I can't think of any "later" films of hers besides a Star is Born and I've only seen bits of it. I've never seen Meet Me In St. Louis, either, so thanks, TCM for showing them with this class!

• Haha 1

1.     What was the first Judy Garland film you recall watching? What was your first impression of her?

To be honest, prior to this course, the only Judy Garland film I was familiar with was The Wizard of Oz, which I have been watching since my childhood (too many times to count and more years that I want to mention).  In fact, this is one of the reasons I took the TCM course this summer.  I was more “well-versed” in the films of Alfred Hitchcock for last year’s course, but I wanted to learn more about the history of musicals, which is why I took this course as well.  But when I saw Garland in Oz, I noted her initial innocence and vulnerability.  However, I have a theory that, arguably, The Wizard of Oz could be viewed as the archetypal hero story.  Dorothy unwillingly leaves home (even if it is just a dream) to embark on a journey of discovery as she learns more about who she truly is and what she can accomplish when necessary, as she is forced to overcome her nemesis with the aid of her mentors.  She learns that she does have brains; she does have “heart”; she does have courage, all lurking beneath her vulnerability and naivete.  Garland was able to bring a young, sweet, and charming innocence to the role, yet she also ultimately showed strength and fortitude, refusing to back down from her quest, just as any archetypal hero or heroine would do.

2.     How do you view her differently after viewing these clips than you might have viewed her previously?

Both of these clips showcase Garland’s very playful side with the songs and choreography, a playfulness that she first displays as she danced down a yellow brick road in 1939. The first clip displays her grace and fluidity with the rolling cityscape backdrop as she and Astaire simulate skating and walking along the avenue as the backdrop rolls behind them.  The first number is also more up-tempo and “comedic,” especially at the end as each dancer vies to be the last one off the stage.  Whereas the second—while still upbeat—is a bit more traditional with the typical tap and ballroom steps, and the second was clearly intended to be more romantic than the first (which focused on two “male” bums singing about how successful they claimed to be and how much richer they wanted to be).  As mentioned in the introduction to the clips, “Garland was noted for her generosity at sharing the scene with her fellow actors. Never a focus stealer, she is able to show her authentic warmth and humor.”  And she does just that in both of these clips.  There is a sense of equality as each performer feeds off of the other in both numbers, which is necessary for comedy in the former (and romance in the latter) to succeed.  Also, as Dr. Ament noted in the video discussion today, Garland brings such a warmth and so much of herself to each role and each song that you seem to know her on a personal level.

3.     What films in her later career come to mind as examples of her increasing ability to capture an audience’s imagination as a storyteller when she sings a lyric?

As I noted earlier, I’ve not seen enough of her films to fully or fairly answer this question.  However, I did notice that even if it doesn’t necessarily tell a story, the song from Easter Parade at least does a nice job of establishing the character of the persona Garland assumed as the bum.  Her words and actions complement each other in “telling” the bum’s “story.”

Well, first I must say that I love Judy Garland, her voice conveys such emotion that I will sometimes cry just watching her sing, I think the first movie I saw her in was Wizard of Oz. When I was growing up, the movie was on once a year, and we would all watch it as a family. When the movie went from black and white to color...wow, that was pure movie magic! I think the scene where she realizes that she is home in Kansas again and looks around her room at her loved ones shows just what a wonderful (and subtle) actress she was. 

3. What films in her later career come to mind as examples of her increasing ability to capture an audience's imagination as a storyteller when she sings a lyric?

More than her later film roles, I remember seeing her on television shows, when she sang with Barbara Striesand, more magic to be seen, and heard.

Her voice is strong and clear in this clip, even though she was suffering in her personal life at this time, she was the same wonderful, full throated performer as always. You can also see how she looked at Barbara each time during their call and response, giving her full attention. 

I must also respond to something that was said during today's lecture, I am enjoying this class so much, not only because I love musicals, but also because it gives me something to focus on besides what is going on in our world today, that is the great thing about the movies, they are the perfect escape! 

I first saw Judy Garland at the age of three or four in the Wizard of Oz, and every year after that until I was 20 and went to study in Europe.  How disappointed I was that they did not show it there!  No one I talked to had ever heard of the film.

Growing up in tornado country, I really related to the fear Judy depicted on screen.  There was nothing phony about it.  I liked her singing voice in the movie, but as a child, I did not like her adult voice on TV.  The clip that was so kindly embedded showed me why.  It was clear in that heartfelt performance that all the problems throughout her life had taken a toll.  I wanted her to remain Dorothy.

I was very impressed with her and Gene Kelly in that clip.  They made it look easy!  They were true professionals.

Judy Garland was terrific in A Star is Born.  I believe that was her best adult performance, combining her musical talent and acting skills. 

I truly can't remember the first movie in which I saw Judy, though I'm pretty sure it was NOT The Wizard of Oz.  Could have been In the Good Old Summertime, or an Andy Hardy or even A Star Is Born.  Doesn't matter, I love her in all of them. 

I'd like to say 'thank you' for a truly delightful Daily Dose today, containing as it did two of my favourite numbers.

What was the first Judy Garland film you recall watching? What was your first impression of her?

Like most the first film I recall watching was 'The Wizard of OZ'. Even as a 9 year old (or so) kid I was mesmerized by the song 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' The rest of the film had many distractions such as Toto, Scarecrow, Tinman, Cowardly Lion, a witch and flying monkeys. Now that for me was around 1967. I had no idea the girl I was watching on film had been through an entire career and was already gone. 

How do you view her differently after viewing these clips than you might have viewed her previously?

Now this is another story altogether. My dad loved watching old films including Judy Garland movies. I watched 'For Me and My Gal' with my dad on late night TV in NYC. When I returned to live with him after being away at a Catholic Convent run by Dominican Nuns. Watching these films with my dad was a sort of binding experience. I loved the old films and musicals as much as he did.

So watching this clips brings back great memories of my dad. 

As for making the connection to the little girl in OZ when I first watched 'For Me and My Gal' I can't say that I made any distinct recognition. I simply enjoyed the musical for what it was and fell in love with Judy Garland the more I saw the classic films. Each time I saw more of her films watching OZ and the young girl Judy I think I felt more like 'There's Juidy!  God she was so young in this film'. 

What films in her later career come to mind as examples of her increasing ability to capture an audience’s imagination as a storyteller when she sings a lyric?

Judy could capture the heartache of a female character in love. In 'Easter Parade' one of the songs that always pulls me in is 'Better Luck Next Time' that she sings to Mike the bartender. Judy had that way of showing vulnerability so naturally that you really believe it. 

Judy fit in well in period pieces. In 'Meet Me In St. Louis' I always get lost on the trolley car in the 'Trolley Song'. Riding the trolley car is always fun when you visit places that still have them like in New Orleans. We are taken back to a time when this form of transport was in its heyday but its magnified by the direction of Vincent Minnelli and Judy's punch of a delivery. We get to use our imagination and its topped off with whipped cream and a cherry. 

The ultimate is her overall performance in 'A Star is Born' in which she takes on the roller coaster ride of love and endurance with her difficult marriage. The 'Man That Got Away' is a number that continues to freeze me solid. The emotion put into that song is genuine. Put in context with the rest of the film you come to feel for the character's anguish. Its possibly Judy's most single powerful musical performance. 

Like everyone else my first Judy Garland film was Wizard of Oz. What’s interesting g to me is that although I’ve seen this movie many times, it wasn’t until this class that I really considered it a musical! I’m not sure why that is, since there is singing and dancing in it!

After watching the clips and listening to the podcast, I really noticed the joy that Judy Garland brought to her performances. She is fully involved with each scene and her singing and acting seem believable because it appears so effortless, as if she is not acting at all. Another thing I notice$ is how she captures the focus of the audience, no matter who her co-star is. Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire were legendary dancers even at this point in their careers yet the eye is repeatedly drawn to Judy!

1. What was the first Judy Garland film you recall watching? What was your first impression of her?  Probably like most, I saw her in Wizard of Oz, and of course loved her and the movie!  She has such a strong and sweet voice and is playful and funny and so expressive with her face.  A delight.  It is so sad to know how the industry pushed her to stay thin and that is what caused her to become addicted to meds.
  2. How do you view her differently after viewing these clips than you might have viewed her previously?  I guess I didn't know how versatile she was and how she was able to do vaudeville and dance with ease with Gene Kelly.  Wonderful!
  3. What films in her later career come to mind as examples of her increasing ability to capture an audience’s imagination as a storyteller when she sings a lyric?  The Christmas song was always too sad to listen to on the radio, I never knew that it came from Meet Me in St. Louis.  Now it has a deeper meaning and I see it in a different light.  

The Wizard of Oz was the first Judy Garland movie I seen and it was on VHS. I thought she was beautiful and had a great singing voice. After watching both clips, I still think she is beautiful and talented. A Star is Born was the movie I've seen that really shown her mature. I mean these clips shown her grow up, but A Star is Born really showed her as a mature performer.

I first saw Judy like all of us in the wizard of Oz. And as she grew up we watched her grow on screen with each movie she did. Meet me in St Louis, Easter parade, in the good old summertime, and with each movie she did you could see the enjoyment in her face. It's sad we lost her so early.

I first saw Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz and then in the Andy Hardy movies, but loved her more in the movies Meet Me in St. Louis, Easter Parade, The Harvey Girls, and Summer Stock. 

1. My first memory of Judy Garland is as a child watching as Doryhy in the “Wizard of Oz”. Iremember her as a believable character. I believe her affection for Toto was the thing that made her believable. I was only 7 or 8 when I first saw the movie and her love for that dog and fear of the witch really impressed me.

2. After viewing the clips and listening to the course’s discussion of Ms. Garland, I am so impressed with her talent not only as a singer, but her actress and dancer.

3. Of course her later movies such as Meet Me in St. Louis, portrays as a young woman. She portrays her moods and moves the story along with such songs as the trolley song and her wonderful Christmas song. I look forward watching her grow as she matures in her later movies.

If it wasn't The Wizard of Oz, it had to have been Meet Me in St. Louis. I remember watching Meet Me in St. Louis for the first time while visiting cousins, and I made them watch every time I visited until my mother finally bought me my own copy. I was more focused on Tootie than Esther and thought Rose had prettier clothes. (Except for Judy's red dress at Christmas, of course.) But my impression of Judy was always how beautiful and captivating her voice was. She's excellent in all her songs in the film, but I'm partial to "The Boy Next Door." I believe it's the first time her character is alone in the chaotic household, and Judy is absolutely mesmerizing. You can't take your eyes off her, and the camera can't either.  

2. How do you view her differently after viewing these clips than you might have viewed her previously?

My view hasn't changed, but that's because I have a mother who started me on later Judy Garland films where you really saw her comedy and performance shine.

"A Star is Born." I used to think "The Trolley Song" was her best performance in a movie until I watched "A Star is Born" for the first time a few years ago. Her performance of "The Man That Got Away" is iconic. It comes early in the movie when she's hanging out with her band, and the piano player tells her to "take it from the top." In four minutes she manages to tell so complete a story that you almost forget what movie you're watching. I especially love her interaction and give and take with the band during the number, like the moment when she silences the horns and dismisses them with her hand at "Good riddance, goodbye." But it's really her eyes that draw me in. So many lost looks. I can't watch this scene without crying.

As it were for many others here, the first film of Judy Garland's that I can remember seeing, is The Wizard of Oz. It's probably the number one film that people think of when you mention her name. It's a movie that I've always loved. She's so humble, yet somewhat naive as Dorothy. It makes her feel so relatable to the young children who see the movie for the first time. But with seeing the clips in today's Daily Dose, I've come to realize that she was definitely a very versatile actor. She shared the screen with her costars excellently and seems to have had impeccable comedic timing. I'm definitely going to viewing plenty more of her films in the upcoming weeks of the course. :)

I have to say my first Judy Garland movie was probably Oz, and all I can recall of my childhood memories if being terrified of those stupid monkeys! That being said, see how brave Dorothy was made me feel I could be brave too! Easter Parade is one of my favorite films of hers and one that I watch over and over. The she interacts with both Astaire and Kelly in the two clips is similar to me. I don't see much difference in her interpretation of the characters. 

Summer Stock to me is one of the films where she actually creates a world in which we as the viewing could possibly live, quite happily! Although, I am quite partial to her story telling in the Trolley song!

My first Judy Garland movie was The Wizard of Oz, just as it was for most of my contemporaries. Through the years I have seen several of her movies, and my favorites were Meet Me in St. Louis and In The Good Old Summertime. My original perception of her was a wide-eyed wholesome girl next door with a voice beyond her years and that didn't change much until I learned her back story, all the troubles she faced and how she dealt with her life. But it just made me admire her all the more, the way her screen persona never betrayed what was going on behind the scenes.

I never noticed an increasing ability to capture her audience, as she never failed to do so from the beginning. But she certainly never lost her appeal and charisma, and the audiences never seemed to get tired of watching her sing, dance, and act.

Ive seen and been obsessed with The Wizard of Oz ever since i can remember. I have all kinds of Oz stuff. My second favorite of hers is of course The Easter Parade i have wonderful fond memories of watching that with my grandfather. I was a tap dancer and every time after Ann Miller dod her tap number he would turn to me and ask if i could do that i would always chuckle and say no pop and he would reply with why not youre just as good as her. There was always something about Judy that just drew me to her no matter what she was in. Ive seen the pirate numerous times but i dont like that movie at all but ill watch it just because of her. I always viewed her as something incredible i was heartbroken when someone told me that she was dead being born in the 90s she was long gone by then and i just couldnt believe that the world could go on without this bright star.