Sign in to follow this  
drednm

Marion Davies & Leslie Howard

31 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, drednm said:

The licensing agreement may have expired.....

That could be it since Stand-In's production company was United Artist and the producer was Walter Wagner Productions.  (verses Warners where Bogie made the most of his films before forming his own production company, Santana in the late 40s).

37 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

That could be it since Stand-In's production company was United Artist and the producer was Walter Wagner Productions.  (verses Warners where Bogie made the most of his films before forming his own production company, Santana in the late 40s).

If the film was shown before via a licensing agreement, the agreement likely was in force for 5-7 years. And yes it would have been a good Howard film to show.

On 6/26/2018 at 12:12 AM, NewYorkGuy said:

I don't see any other threads on SOTM Leslie Howard, so I'll just chime in here to say I'm a bit surprised the comedy "Stand-in" wasn't programmed as part of this month's series...  

TCM has shown this film every 2-3 years...

No, not quite that often. In fact according to MovieCollectorOH's master listing of everything ever shown on TCM, STAND-IN has been shown on TCM only 5 times, ever, most recently in July 2012.

http://moviecollector.us/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm

I too was disappointed STAND-IN wasn't shown this month, nor even mentioned in the otherwise excellent documentary on Leslie Howard (although I do understand that they can't always mention every film in these kinds of documentaries).

2 hours ago, musicalnovelty said:

No, not quite that often. In fact according to MovieCollectorOH's master listing of everything ever shown on TCM, STAND-IN has been shown on TCM only 5 times, ever, most recently in July 2012.

http://moviecollector.us/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm

I too was disappointed STAND-IN wasn't shown this month, nor even mentioned in the otherwise excellent documentary on Leslie Howard (although I do understand that they can't always mention every film in these kinds of documentaries).

Perhaps they can make up for this by doing a double feature one evening with THE PETRIFIED FOREST and STAND-IN.

George Bernard Shaw was a Marion Davies fan and wanted her to play Eliza Doolittle in Pygmalion, which Leslie Howard filmed in 1938 as an independent production released thru MGM. Would have been another great teaming of Davies and Howard. By the time Howard and Shaw got around to filming, Davies had retired.

4a1234ee12044f06edc9f72d8959b156.thumb.jpg.fb30bbe9c19e214e4b4da67841462ca3.jpg

Davies and Shaw in March of 1933 with some guy named Chaplin in tow.

• Like 3

51CZPrTyt0L._SY300_.jpg

(Light bulb goes on)
Oh I get it....Hirschfeld drew Shaw as God in this illustration of Pygmalion. Never knew that.