Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

Willard Scott

5 posts in this topic

No, not about the convivial TODAY show weatherman, but the name......

This morning I watched an old episode of PERRY MASON in which the actual  murderer(of course, not discovered until near the end of the episode) was a guy named WILLARD SCOTT(played by actor Arthur Space).  In fact, I recollect the name being used on the program in several episodes and played by a wide variety of actors.  Either as(in this case) the murderer, a suspect or otherwise vital witness.  And I got to wondering....

Was the REAL Willard Scott a close friend of the writers, and possibly received some recompense for his name being used, or what was it about the name that fascinated the writers that they would use it several times over the years?  And what DID the real Willard think of this, assuming he was aware of it?

Sepiatone( Latin for: Too much time on hands)  ;) 

I don't have any specific answers, sorry, but Scott worked in radio and television in the Washington, D.C. area for almost 20 years from the mid-'50s to the early '70s. It certainly seems possible he made friends in the industry, although I assume all the shows you're talking about were shot in Los Angeles, so I don't know how much interaction he would have had with the people making them.

The weatherman Willard Scott only used a stage name, inspired by a garden gnome his next door neighbor had at his childhood home (probably TMI).  Not so sure about the movie script.

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

The weatherman Willard Scott only used a stage name, inspired by a garden gnome his next door neighbor had at his childhood home (probably TMI).  Not so sure about the movie script.

And even then, in the 50's was barely known as the first Ronald McDonald:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO8-A396Lt4

Mickey Rooney's character in Strike up the Band (on tonight) is, if memory serves, Jimmy Connors.  He may be a brat, but not a tennis player.

• Haha 1