spence

Should GWTW be banned fropm movie theaters?

187 posts in this topic

I had just wrote only a bit on this, some may already be ware that our despicable current & mainly still wet behind the ears college kids  i.e. millennials have now apparently influenced the way & fashion in which all must & or should talk, walk, speak & behave.  Adults should lay down the example & lead first, not allow this culture of whom has yet to experience life dictate to the rest of us how to conduct our self & that of course brings us all to our favorite thing THE MOVIES. As all are aware many yrs ago what was cinemas very first big event picture D.W. Griffith's 1915 BIRTH OF A NATION He quickly followed that up in 1916 with the even superior achievement in INTOLERANCE-(next time you see where they hold the *Oscars, for now anyway "Dolby Theatre"/"Hollywood & Highland" not the huge Elephants, of course directly lifted from it's Babylon scene. I see the rascist side of BIRTH of course, however 1 must separate art from reality, whats next burning books & paintings that may offend somebody? & of course Uncle Remus-(*James Baskett) of whom nobody even stopped to check out was awarded a special *Oscar statue for his work in Disney 1947 "SONG OF THE SOUTH"-(also banned & from tv)  That brings me to the more then legendary 1939 GWTW & this only started far as I know within the last few yrs at best. They are hell bent on picking at this epic & many theaters, even the movie palaces still-standing insist they will never show it again. Even THE TAMPA THEATERE down here in Tampa Bay, Fl where I got to go & see KANE, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER & a couple others, they are at the fortefront is making it clear GWTW will never be shown there again. Which is even more sad because this theatre-(though I loath FL) is even greater-interior) then GRAUMAN'S.  Last time TCM air it I wondered how long it will be for this to hit home?

THANK YOU 

lets see tcm bring it back to the big screen for a limited engagement.

:lol:

• Like 1

tcm hasn't stood up for colorizing or SOTS so why would they start with GWTW?

• Like 1

Added to about item  D.W. Griffith-(l874-l948)-(this may make many happy actually) ended up terribly.  After the sound era broke through like so many great & talented artists found themselves out of work

Most -(not including you grand folks) folks that call themselves moviebuffs most likely don't even realize that silent pictures were an art form, pantomime for the most part & only someone like *CHAPLIN could always re-invent himself, sadly most fell by the wayside

As just 1 nasty example Griffith was out GRAUMAN'S at the 1938 premiere of *DeMille's "The Buccanneer"  hugely crowded outside on H. Blvd-(when it was something special by the way) & some nasty cop saw him of course never even recognize one of Hollywoods leading founders & knocked DW to the ground shouting "Get out of the way old man, or I'll kick you in the teeth" unquote & in 1946 he quietly passed away in another alledgely still haunted hotel THE KNICKERBOCKER in it's lobby of a heart attack, alone & forgotten.

No movie should be "banned."

But the "Millennials are ruining everything" mantra is BS. The Millennials aren't running the show, not yet anyway. It's the boomers and Gen-X making the big decisions. 

I mean, really, what does "millennials have now apparently influenced the way & fashion in which all must & or should talk, walk, speak & behave" even mean? Who are these Millennials that are telling you how to walk? And why are you listening to them?

And if a privately-held company decides not to show Gone with the Wind or any other movie, that's their decision. Nothing is being banned.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

lets see tcm bring it back to the big screen for a limited engagement.

:lol:

Which one?   Personally I can't remember TCM ever airing BIRTH though & I know it still does not have the rights to broadcast *UNCLE WALT'S full animated-features

Just now, LawrenceA said:

But the "Millennials are ruining everything" mantra is BS. The Millennials aren't running the show, not yet anyway. It's the boomers and Gen-X making the big decisions. 

I mean, really, what does "millennials have now apparently influenced the way & fashion in which all must & or should talk, walk, speak & behave" even mean? Who are these Millennials that are telling you how to walk? And why are you listening to them?

And if a privately-held company decides not to show Gone with the Wind or any other movie, that's their decision. Nothing is being banned.

On the contrary Lawrence, GWTW has already been banned in a few nation wide theaters. I not only saw this on television a couple of times & online, plus in EW magazine. & you know the rest on BIRTH & SONG

Heck, there is even a theatre-(hopefully only1 for now) & I already confirmed this online on a couple sites, these jerks actually are now saying TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD was rascist???   Again, this garbage started at a University & spread to it's local theatre-(4 get the name, look it up online I did) upon hearing this I contacted MADONNA-(I know tons hate her) because that's her favorite movie & told her about it.

I don't use or need google, other search engines just as good, but search also for THE TAMPA THEATERE & GWTW?

& Babyboomers still might be running things, but it's constantly under siege buddy & I AM SO FED-UP!

10 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Don't blame us GenXers.   We are not responsible for the BS.  Believe me, we are as mortified and chagrined as the rest at what is and isn't considered safe to take about, show, do, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

NO WAY LAWRENCE, not this old fashioned IRISHMAN   I & others always insist I belonged in the 1940 7 1950's vs. this pathetic era.   If I was even suggested by some young punk straight out of college as to how to do anything I'd do the opposite  These are said to be this countrys future & must have quiet rooms & even a pitch tent in a room, with something that's soft like a teddy bear & even cocoa to block out any negativity that's going on in the actual world. This really popped up on inauguration day at colleges & professors separated those weaklings from even hearing,. seeing or reading anything about Trump being sworn in   IT WAS & IS RIDICULOUS!!!, 

Just now, MotherofZeus said:

Don't blame us GenXers.   We are not responsible for the BS.  Believe me, we are as mortified and chagrined as the rest at what is and isn't considered safe to take about, show, do, etc. 

Hey Mother, reckon' I'm somewhat a GenXers, though I hate labels on people. Born in late '64

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spence said:

NO WAY LAWRENCE, not this old fashioned IRISHMAN   I & others always insist I belonged in the 1940 7 1950's vs. this pathetic era.   If I was even suggested by some young punk straight out of college as to how to do anything I'd do the opposite  These are said to be this countrys future & must have quiet rooms & even a pitch tent in a room, with something that's soft like a teddy bear & even cocoa to block out any negativity that's going on in the actual world. This really popped up on inauguration day at colleges & professors separated those weaklings from even hearing,. seeing or reading anything about Trump being sworn in   IT WAS & IS RIDICULOUS!!!, 

Actually, I think it is extremists on both sides of the spectrum ruining it for all of us who can stand and reason with a sentient mind able to endure challenges to one's way of thinking. Folks who won't allow dissenting voices are the problem -- not those who welcome debate as a way to explore differences, commonalities, and opportunities to learn. I have had quite a few of my conservative friends be as equally squeamish as progressives when someone comments negatively about their beliefs. I tend to side with Groucho and Twain in their general disdain for humankind's gullibility and inability to think critically.  Thinking differently or acting differently shouldn't threaten people, but it does, and that is when goofballs on either side of the aisle loose their cheese. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, spence said:

On the contrary Lawrence, GWTW has already been banned in a few nation wide theaters. I not only saw this on television a couple of times & online, plus in EW magazine. & you know the rest on BIRTH & SONG

Heck, there is even a theatre-(hopefully only1 for now) & I already confirmed this online on a couple sites, these jerks actually are now saying TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD was rascist???   Again, this garbage started at a University & spread to it's local theatre-(4 get the name, look it up online I did) upon hearing this I contacted MADONNA-(I know tons hate her) because that's her favorite movie & told her about it.

I don't use or need google, other search engines just as good, but search also for THE TAMPA THEATERE & GWTW?

& Babyboomers still might be running things, but it's constantly under siege buddy & I AM SO FED-UP!

If a theater won't show Gone with the Wind, that doesn't mean it's banned. To ban something, there has to be legal repercussions for showing the film. Some theaters have decided that showing Gone with the Wind is not going to be profitable enough to offset the potential headaches and/or lack of attendance.

Gone with the Wind is readily available on DVD and Blu-ray in multiple editions. The movie's not being suppressed in the way Disney has locked away Song of the South, Again, I don't agree with Disney's decision. If people want to buy or watch Song of the South, let them. But that's a decision made by a private company, and not a governmental ban.

I can tell you're fed up by your posts, but you shouldn't let it get to you. That's not going to help anything, especially you.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MotherofZeus said:

My point was that the GenXers and Boomers still own and run virtually everything: businesses, government, the decision-making positions in entertainment. There are some youthful CEOs and politicians, but they are the minority. 

I'm not a Millennial, either. But I have a distaste for people placing the blame for things on groups instead of individuals, be it race, religion, gender, or what year you happened to be born. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, LawrenceA said:

My point was that the GenXers and Boomers still own and run virtually everything: businesses, government, the decision-making positions in entertainment. There are some youthful CEOs and politicians, but they are the minority. 

I'm not a Millennial, either. But I have a distaste for people placing the blame for things on groups instead of individuals, be it race, religion, gender, or what year you happened to be born. 

I'm with you on not scapegoating a group.  Sounds like we are on th same page here.  Wish tolerance was not as lacking as it is these days on all sides.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

If a theater won't show Gone with the Wind, that doesn't mean it's banned. To ban something, there has to be legal repercussions for showing the film. Some theaters have decided that showing Gone with the Wind is not going to be profitable enough to offset the potential headaches and/or lack of attendance.

Gone with the Wind is readily available on DVD and Blu-ray in multiple editions. The movie's not being suppressed in the way Disney has locked away Song of the South, Again, I don't agree with Disney's decision. If people want to buy or watch Song of the South, let them. But that's a decision made by a private company, and not a governmental ban.

I can tell you're fed up by your posts, but you shouldn't let it get to you. That's not going to help anything, especially you.

I am a huge fan of GWTW, but last time I saw it in a theater (about 1990), I left half-way through it.  Had something more interesting to do.  I think with some pictures the public reaches a saturation point, especially for cost of theater tickets.

It is a very, very old movie and is available on DVD and other formats.  It is shown on TCM frequently.  Why would a theater owner or chain want to show it? Motion picture industry is a business first.  Local theaters have enough problems making money now.

Incidentally, it was the first book I ever read twice.

I agree that being banned means the government banned it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MotherofZeus said:

I'm with you on not scapegoating a group.  Sounds like we are on th same page here.  Wish tolerance was not as lacking as it is these days on all sides.

Although if we weren't on the same page, that's ducky too, per our outlook. 🤔

I tried to reply to Mother, but once again the site logged me back out & for no apparent reason???

To Mother, I reckon I'm somewhat of a GenXer, born in late '64-(an aside, don't now if your an all-around moviefan, buff or geoer, but WINONA RYDER did a nice little film that was totally on GX people rom '94 "Reality Bites" ($21m.) (***-out of four) ever see it?)

However for anyone that may not even believe a tinge of what I proposed check out on your search engine & look up these films & just log in the entire issue-(hate that other current pc word)  & do your own homework on it & it's not only our favorite thing in cinema but tv, books, mags-(EW I had gotten for well over 20yrs but it kept getting stranger, smaller & more pc as time went on. Starting to rent new releases with A, B,C,etc vs thee long held original official star rating system started in the early 1930's or even prior to that. EXAMPLE: Someone once either got ugly with Gene Siskel or tried to reedit his review of a new film & with the A, B,C,D,etc & he hit the roof on the air w/Ebert one show Reminding a few times to this person the original star rating system was it & only it  with 4 stars being the best)

When I saw that TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD was the possible newest casualty-it was on some tv show & that a theatre was not happy with it anymore, mainly do to it's local college & professors now deeming ir rascist. I immediately contacted LOUISE CICCONE better known as MADONNA-(& I know most hate her) because thats her all-time fav. movie-(along w/*E. PATIENT & A PLACE IN THE SUN)

THANKS TO THOSE THAT GAVE VIEWS ON THIS & IT WILL GET WORSE

34 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Thank you.  I am tired of the millennial bashing.  As an "old" Millennial, though personally I identify more with Gen-X, I am tired of being lumped into the stereotype of the lazy, overly sensitive crowd. I would like to know how old the constant millennial bashers think that millennials are? As someone who is almost 34, I can tell you that I am not part of the crowd that cannot handle criticism nor am I part of the group that cannot tell time using analog clocks or doesn't know how to write in cursive.  I didn't need my mom to help me get through college. The oldest Millennials are in their mid to late 30s, and I can tell you that most of my peers have it together.

I don't think any film should be banned.  People should take the opportunity to learn about a specific film and develop an understanding about what content might be considered controversial, racist, etc.  Then that person can decide for him or herself if they would like to watch the film.  By having an education, he or she at least has the background to understand the racist depictions and perhaps understand where it's coming from.

I am sick and tired of these random groups of people trying to decide what's appropriate and inappropriate for everyone. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

LAWRENCE, they will run things soon enough buddy.    I really & most say this belonged in the 1940's or '50's  I really hate the times we are in buddy. These college kids which are so lame in this era actually have quiet rooms & in those quiet rooms when they really get upset the bring in a pump tent for them top crawl & stay inside, furthermore they get something soft like a teddy bear to hold & then & dig this on me they get hot cocoa delivered to them in said tent. This was most on exhibition on Inaugural day when many at colleges wanted to block out the fact that Trump was being sworn in on this day.   They have not experienced the real word & yet-(mainly due to the ultra left teachers) are trying to dictate all to us out here & entertainment is an easy medium for them right now

I don't use google & found bing just as good but check out films & theaters I spoke of

13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

LAWRENCE, just noted after a few yrs you are also based down here in FL  not to give away too much, but what area?

9 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I am a huge fan of GWTW, but last time I saw it in a theater (about 1990), I left half-way through it.  Had something more interesting to do.  I think with some pictures the public reaches a saturation point, especially for cost of theater tickets.

It is a very, very old movie and is available on DVD and other formats.  It is shown on TCM frequently.  Why would a theater owner or chain want to show it? Motion picture industry is a business first.  Local theaters have enough problems making money now.

Incidentally, it was the first book I ever read twice.

I agree that being banned means the government banned it. 

Can people still purchase SONG OF THE SOUITH on DVD th4esedays? That marvelous *UNCLKE WAT picture has been on the outs as far as any tv airings for decades now

& on *WALT, there have even been rumblings about the crows-(black) in my favorite of all his animated features DUMBO   & this little item has been going on for a couple decades & depends on what network you watch it THE THREE STOOGES have a couple shorts-(out of 190) this particular one is with SHEMP & not CURLY & 1 tiny bit is edited out due to nit picking again?

Has nothing to do with GWTW, etc., but this is America and the public has a right to try and influence government, business, education, etc.  If that means advocating not showing GWTW or Roseanne, that's the way it is.

I'm sort of a liberal, but we have to remember that the right to protest and try to influence cuts both ways.

As I said before, GWTW is a very, very old movie.  How many 1939 movies are shown in theaters today?  Regardless, the theaters have to make a profit or they go out of business.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

tcm hasn't stood up for colorizing or SOTS so why would they start with GWTW?

WHATS  SOS THOUGH, please explain?

7 minutes ago, spence said:

This was most on exhibition on Inaugural day when many at colleges wanted to block out the fact that Trump was being sworn in on this day. 

I don't know why you're making fun of the college kids, I know I wanted to block this event out myself.  I still do.  Democrats. Republicans. All of it.  What a joke.

• Like 2

Just now, spence said:

WHATS  SOS THOUGH, please explain?

Song of the South?  But, GWTW is Ted Turner's favorite movie (or was).  First movie ever shown on TCM.