spence

Should GWTW be banned fropm movie theaters?

190 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, TheCid said:

Has nothing to do with GWTW, etc., but this is America and the public has a right to try and influence government, business, education, etc.  If that means advocating not showing GWTW or Roseanne, that's the way it is.

I'm sort of a liberal, but we have to remember that the right to protest and try to influence cuts both ways.

As I said before, GWTW is a very, very old movie.  How many 1939 movies are shown in theaters today?  Regardless, the theaters have to make a profit or they go out of business.

In my hometown, the old 1926 recently restored theater has shown GWTW a few times during their Wednesday Classic Film spotlights.  I know for me, I couldn't sit in the original wooden (with a small cushion) chairs for 3.5 hours! 

But there are quite a few theaters, at least in my area that regularly show old movies.  These events usually attract pretty decent crowds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't know why you're making fun of the college kids, I know I wanted to block this event out myself.  I still do.  Democrats. Republicans. All of it.  What a joke.

WELL, they cut me off AGAIN!?    I was only trying to reply to you   I totally agree on that election, politicians & all, I hate about 98% they do or say they will do, thing I was trying to illustrate was just how weak they are vs. the previous generations  Especially what Tom Brokaw wrote about THE GREATEST GENERATION  1st going through THE GREAT DEPRESSION & STRAIGHT IN "THEE WAR"  with no let up in between

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, spence said:

LAWRENCE, just noted after a few yrs you are also based down here in FL  not to give away too much, but what area?

North of Gainesville, west of Jacksonville, and east of Tallahassee.

Spence, you seem to be misinterpreting my point. I never said that there were no theaters that are choosing not to show Gone with the Wind. There are, and it's been discussed on this message board many times before. My point was that just because some private theaters decided not to show a movie doesn't mean a movie is banned. I'm sorry if you wanted to see it on the big screen again and your local theater isn't showing it. But that is the theater's decision, as there have been no laws passed banning any movies.

You also seem to be painting an entire generation with a very broad brush based on stuff that you've read about extreme instances on some universities. Yeah, there are some Millennial jackasses. But there are plenty of jackasses in every generation. You're letting the media outrage machine manipulate you. That and the social media landscape that keeps people upset, paranoid and offended. What news sources do you watch, listen to, read? Are they feeding you a narrative or simply presenting the facts? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

In my hometown, the old 1926 recently restored theater has shown GWTW a few times during their Wednesday Classic Film spotlights.  I know for me, I couldn't sit in the original wooden (with a small cushion) chairs for 3.5 hours! 

But there are quite a few theaters, at least in my area that regularly show old movies.  These events usually attract pretty decent crowds. 

The forementioned & superbly decored TAMPA THEATRE is kinda' like that. It's obvious the seats were not made for taller people & very hard.  As is inside the also even more legendary GRIFFITH PARK OBSERVATORY-(to anyone reading you must go search it & check out the phenomenal nights above HOLLYWOOD!)

Of course mainly known for REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (l955) & given my incredible feelings before she even left of NATALIE, it was even more mind blowing visiting there & a cheap $$$ show inside, just amazingly done on by a laser show on the ceilings & walls!  But, it's seats were also like they probably were back in '54 & still very musty. There is still or was almost 20yrs back an old & huge looking item now retired but looks a lot li9ke the one in that classic movie.

THANK YOU

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

North of Gainesville, west of Jacksonville, and east of Tallahassee.

Spence, you seem to be misinterpreting my point. I never said that there were no theaters that are choosing not to show Gone with the Wind. There are, and it's been discussed on this message board many times before. My point was that just because some private theaters decided not to show a movie doesn't mean a movie is banned. I'm sorry if you wanted to see it on the big screen again and your local theater isn't showing it. But that is the theater's decision, as there have been no laws passed banning any movies.

You also seem to be painting an entire generation with a very broad brush based on stuff that you've read about extreme instances on some universities. Yeah, there are some Millennial jackasses. But there are plenty of jackasses in every generation. You're letting the media outrage machine manipulate you. That and the social media landscape that keeps people upset, paranoid and offended. What news sources do you watch, listen to, read? Are they feeding you a narrative or simply presenting the facts? 

GOTCHA & I HOPE THAT THE CASE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MotherofZeus said:

Actually, I think it is extremists on both sides of the spectrum ruining it for all of us who can stand and reason with a sentient mind able to endure challenges to one's way of thinking. Folks who won't allow dissenting voices are the problem -- not those who welcome debate as a way to explore differences, commonalities, and opportunities to learn. I have had quite a few of my conservative friends be as equally squeamish as progressives when someone comments negatively about their beliefs. I tend to side with Groucho and Twain in their general disdain for humankind's gullibility and inability to think critically.  Thinking differently or acting differently shouldn't threaten people, but it does, and that is when goofballs on either side of the aisle loose their cheese. 

Great post MoZ. Love it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, spence said:

WELL, they cut me off AGAIN!?    I was only trying to reply to you   I totally agree on that election, politicians & all, I hate about 98% they do or say they will do, thing I was trying to illustrate was just how weak they are vs. the previous generations  Especially what Tom Brokaw wrote about THE GREATEST GENERATION  1st going through THE GREAT DEPRESSION & STRAIGHT IN "THEE WAR"  with no let up in between

Millennials were roughly born between 1982-1995 (I think that's the latest range I've seen).  Someone born in 1982 is 36 years old.  Someone born in 1995 is 23 and if they played their cards right, has already graduated from college. Honestly, I question the generation extending to the mid-90s.  Technology changed lives so much between the mid-80s to the mid-90s, it's hard to find myself having anything in common with them. This latest group of college kids are not millennials.  If you were a toddler in 2000, cannot remember 9/11 and don't know life without cell phones and the internet, you are not part of my generation. This group of the so-called "weak" are not Millennials.  What is this current generation? Generation Z? 

I doubt that all college kids had to go to quiet rooms to reflect on the events.  If they did, who cares? It's better that they're at school in a room reflecting on the day's events than out shooting people because they were mad.  Plus, "they" are just a segment of the population that happened to be profiled on Fox News during the inauguration coverage.  Fox News decided to perpetuate the idea that college kids were upset with the election results, so they honed in on college kids crying during the inauguration.  They cherry picked their film clips and sound bytes in order to further their specific slant on the situation.  Believe me, the college kids are not the only generations of people upset with the three ring circus in Washington right now.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just quickly punched item in about MOCKINGBIRD & this article says people aren't happy about the language that was in the book at a Memphis-(think it was) school district

I heard it even spreaded to a couple local theatres & that they found film  offensive all of a sudden?

 

& on this particular same page more on how GWTW is just too offensive thesedays?

 

CHECK IT OUT IUF YOU WANT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Song of the South?  But, GWTW is Ted Turner's favorite movie (or was).  First movie ever shown on TCM.

GOTCHA!   Yeah I've known it was Ted's fav. since back in the mid to late 1980's when he wanted to colorize old lix & *Woody,. *Scorsese & others fought him in congress

 

Surprisingly it turned out to do much about nothing though  huh

 

Larry King around 1988/89 had an article in USA TODAY &demanded that 1 film that could never colorize was *ON THE WATERFRONT his favorite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, would just like to interject a quick observation about some you who are claiming to be Gen-Xers and Millennials here in this discussion.

So, sorry to say this here, but I don't believe ANY of you are! And ya wanna know WHY I don't believe YOU?

So, it's 'cause not ONCE did ANY of you here start your comments by first uttering the word "so"!!!

(...so, THAT'S why!) ;)

LOL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spence said:

Just quickly punched item in about MOCKINGBIRD & this article says people aren't happy about the language that was in the book at a Memphis-(think it was) school district

I heard it even spreaded to a couple local theatres & that they found film  offensive all of a sudden?

 

& on this particular same page more on how GWTW is just too offensive thesedays?

 

CHECK IT OUT IUF YOU WANT

To Kill a Mockingbird has been on the ALA's most frequently challenged books list for years.  People dislike the language and the depiction of rape.  Some school districts have even removed the book from their curriculums--which is a damn shame because TKAM was a great book.  It was one of my favorite books that we were required to read in high school.  Again, this is another case of a group of people trying to decide what is and is not appropriate for other people.  I hope these kids who weren't able to read TKAM take it upon themselves to procure a copy and read it.

As for the film, I'm not surprised.  It is a depiction of the book and presumably follows the book's narrative fairly closely, I'm sure people have their panties in a twist about that too. 

All of these motions to ban this, ban that, all stem from a group of people who have nothing better to do than to worry about what everyone else is doing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Great post MoZ. Love it.

Thanks as usual Top, for chiming in.   If you look at latest posts I just logged in & this was a 2 minute search is all I found some item that contained both GW & MOCKINGBIRD   These people just have too much time on their handsto get offended about everything

 

By the way whats MoZ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

So, would just like to interject a quick observation about some you who are claiming to be Gen-Xers and Millennials here in this discussion.

So, sorry to say this here, but I don't believe ANY of you are! And ya wanna know WHY I don't believe YOU?

So, it's 'cause not ONCE did ANY of you here start your comments by first uttering the word "so"!!!

(...THAT'S why!) ;)

LOL

 

Dargo,. are you referring to me pal?   I'm 54 & only wish I could turn back the clock & be 20yrs younger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spence said:

Thanks as usual Top, for chiming in.   If you look at latest posts I just logged in & this was a 2 minute search is all I found some item that contained both GW & MOCKINGBIRD   These people just have too much time on their handsto get offended about everything

 

By the way whats MoZ?

A shortened version of the poster's name (Mother of Zeus) to whom he was replying to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And on this topic, this is the epic that started it all many, many decades ago  How does anyone truly feel about Griffith's BIRTH OF A NATION?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spence said:

And on this topic, this is the epic that started it all many, many decades ago  How does anyone truly feel about Griffith's BIRTH OF A NATION?

It's boring.


Very boring.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So, would just like to interject a quick observation about some you who are claiming to be Gen-Xers and Millennials here in this discussion.

So, sorry to say this here, but I don't believe ANY of you are! And ya wanna know WHY I don't believe YOU?

So, it's 'cause not ONCE did ANY of you here start your comments by first uttering the word "so"!!!

(...so, THAT'S why!) ;)

LOL

 

Like, whatever.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Like, whatever.

As if!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, spence said:

Thanks as usual Top, for chiming in.   If you look at latest posts I just logged in & this was a 2 minute search is all I found some item that contained both GW & MOCKINGBIRD   These people just have too much time on their handsto get offended about everything

 

By the way whats MoZ?

Her screen name. MotherofZeus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To Kill a Mockingbird has always been my favorite book. I love the film as well. Any great work like this will be controversial to some. Some idiot parent will want it removed from the school library along with Tom Sawyer and dozens of other literary classics. There have always been small minded people that want to control what others have access to but calling it a “ban” is hyperbolic.

Every generation finds the next one to be lacking.

Now, get off my lawn!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, spence said:

And on this topic, this is the epic that started it all many, many decades ago  How does anyone truly feel about Griffith's BIRTH OF A NATION?

It should come with a warning. Just like the warnings about violence or nudity. This film contains scenes of extreme racism and prejudice or words to that effect. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheCid said:

I am a huge fan of GWTW, but last time I saw it in a theater (about 1990), I left half-way through it.  Had something more interesting to do.  I think with some pictures the public reaches a saturation point, especially for cost of theater tickets.

It is a very, very old movie and is available on DVD and other formats.  It is shown on TCM frequently.  Why would a theater owner or chain want to show it? Motion picture industry is a business first.  Local theaters have enough problems making money now.

Incidentally, it was the first book I ever read twice.

I agree that being banned means the government banned it. 

 GWTW was my mother's favorite novel. So I read the book before I saw the movie.  In the late 60s it was in a special run at Fox Theaters in the Midwest.

The last time I was working abroad was in South Korea and they constantly replayed GWTW on the English cable.  Every time it came on, I swore I wouldn't watch it, but it's such a good cinematic representative of the Golden Age Hollywood movie.

I think nowadays most educated people don't get their history from romantic novels written in the 1930s.

I think nowadays people are well aware that Gone with the Wind is a fictional account of a woman's life during the Civil War and Reconstruction, Written by a woman who did all her research with Confederate Veterans.

Peggy Marsh was an extraordinarily gifted Romance writer who captured the fancy of the late 30s female American reading audience.

I don't think you have to approve of everything that's in a movie or to agree with everything that's in a fictional movie in order to watch it for entertainment.

We get into trouble when people start to confuse fiction with reality.

There's nothing wrong with having a cultural discussion about the film as people viewed it back then and as they may view it today.

 But I think most people who would want to see the film have already seen it and those who really love it bought the DVD years ago.

It's not in the spirit of American democracy to ban or censor literature or Cinema.

The more people have an opportunity to read and view the more they will learn about people and places and things that are different from them or may not coincide with their viewpoints. We all learn when we get a little bit out of our comfort zone.

BTW-- David Copperfield was the first book that I read twice and David O. Selznick made that into a movie too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, spauldingd said:

To Kill a Mockingbird has always been my favorite book. I love the film as well. Any great work like this will be controversial to some. Some idiot parent will want it removed from the school library along with Tom Sawyer and dozens of other literary classics. There have always been small minded people that want to control what others have access to but calling it a “ban” is hyperbolic.

Every generation finds the next one to be lacking.

Now, get off my lawn!

I think you meant to say the sequel to it, "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" here, spauldingd.

(...I don't recall there ever being much of a controversy over Twain's Sawyer)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us