spence

Should GWTW be banned fropm movie theaters?

190 posts in this topic

LawrenceA showed me how to do this, put videos on the forum. Thanks! This is the whole story of Feleena. I first heard this on XM satellite radio about 15 years ago. A song of this length wouldn't and couldn't play on traditional Country radio. I have my late step-dad's LPs, including this one, in stereo. ENJOY!

Princess ... This one is for you.

1 minute ago, MovieMadness said:

Gone with the wind is off-topic now? lol

Anything that's gone like the wind has gone off topic, yes. :) 

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I like "sure plays a mean pinball."

I briefly lived in Paris and London in the early 80s and I can remember seeing the young punks for the first time. I really thought that they were deeply into something unpleasant.

But I guess most of them turned out all right-- Adam Ant was like the big artist then and that's hardly punk, is it?

That would be Pinball Wizard. I think the French were a little bit behind as punks, just

doing what the English kids did. It's hard to keep wearing safety pins at 60. No doubt

most of them got older and left punk rock behind, only a memory. Adam Ant was another

band which was pretty big in the UK for a while, but hardly made a dent in the US.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Jimmymac-- You're a real sweetie!

Thank You!!!

Full disclosure, so 21st Century. This is my 3rd nose kiss. First was a lovely Seeing Eye German Shepherd. Second was a real girl, the 2-legged kind. Now a cartoon dog for a Princess.

Before you mentioned tap dance, I was hopeful Tap meant you were a bartender, and I was the fat guy at the end of the bar.

I don't know the whole story with the 78 of the Beach Boys. Maybe you do.

snoopylucy.jpg

Edited by jimmymac71
added text

1 hour ago, jimmymac71 said:

Thank You!!!

Full disclosure, so 21st Century. This is my 3rd nose kiss. First was a lovely Seeing Eye German Shepherd. Second was a real girl, the 2-legged kind. Now a cartoon dog for a Princess.

Before you mentioned tap dance, I was hopeful Tap meant you were a bartender, and I was the fat guy at the end of the bar.

I don't know the whole story with the 78 of the Beach Boys. Maybe you do.

snoopylucy.jpg

Jimmy Mac when are you coming back?

I'm a real tap dancer who started out with the Shirley Temple curls.

But I'm not unfamiliar with taps in bars and the guys that you might find there.

I'm quite familiar also with 78s because my mother had quite a few of the Nat King Cole Trio and Glenn Miller. Or I should say I broke quite a few of them because they're breakable. How was I to know that?

I have no idea about the "Good Vibrations " 78 except that it had extraordinary clear sound. I think it sounded better than my original 45 record.

Thank you very much for sharing it with us.

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Jimmy Mac when are you coming back?

I'm a real tap dancer who started out with the Shirley Temple curls.

But I'm not unfamiliar with taps in bars and the guys that you might find there.

I'm quite familiar also with 78s because my mother had quite a few of the Nat King Cole Trio and Glenn Miller. Or I should say I broke quite a few of them because they're breakable. How was I to know that?

I have no idea about the "Good Vibrations " 78 except that it had extraordinary clear sound. I think it sounded better than my original 45 record.

Thank you very much for sharing it with us.

Some believe the faster speed of 78 RPM can sound better than 45 RPM or 33 1/3 RPM. Can't prove it by me. Never owned a fancy turntable. This Beach Boys 2 record set, see link below, is top-notch vinyl, recorded at today's standards. It was done for National Record Store Day in 2011.

The Capitol logo and colors are from the 78 RPM era. In the days of the breakable 78s, many of them never survived the transport to records stores without breakage. So, the rugged 45 was born.

Rumor is these Beach Boy records do not require a mono stylus. The turntable in the video is of quality. I am familiar with those used in radio stations.

http://www.45worlds.com/78rpm/record/5099909834118

jimmymac71, you may have missed this, is named after my 2007 iMac computer, model number 7,1. But I was thinking Jimmy Mack.

So, movies and music are escapes for us. The rest of the Off-Topic stuff is proof of the need to escape. In 1966, I would have called a radio station with a dedication. Guess this is how to do it in 2018. I am more than happy to do something nice. This makes up for the Little Honda song you didn't seem to care for, but hey, CaveGirl did.

Mister Record Man is here for everyone!

8 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

I'm a fan of Gene Pitney and his songs by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. You can imagine I was surprised to find out that he was a pretty good songwriter too.

This will help you sleep.

Why is this thread in Off-Topics? It's about a classic movie. Did it get moved because the discussion became too political?

This is the type of thread I'd expect to see in the General Discussions area.

Just now, NipkowDisc said:

ain't no p in from.

I did a recent search on GONE WITH THE WIND. That's how I found this thread created by Spence. When I clicked on it, I was surprised to see it was considered "Off Topic." If it didn't get moved, then I will assume Spence just started it in the wrong forum. No big deal.