Sign in to follow this  
KayeA

Take Me Out To the Ball Game/On the Town

3 posts in this topic

For some reason, I had never realized until today, when TCM scheduled Take Me Out to the Ballgame and On the Town back to back, that both movies featured the same three actors (and Betty Garrett!). Does anyone know if there is a story behind this, some particular reason for the same casts (like the deal that John Ford struck to be able to make The Quiet Man)? Or was this just serendipity?

Watching these together makes me wish that Sinatra, Kelly, and Munshin had done another movie or two together. They make great pals and a wonderful team. (And did you catch Munshin in Easter Parade? The salad bit always cracks me up.)

I don't know for sure but Take Me Out to the Ball Game was released in April of 1949 and On the Town in December. I'm guessing it was a case of don't change a winning formula? 

Really just want to say how much I enjoy these two films :) 

• Like 1

I like the fact that Frank and Betty paired up in both films, and in both cases her character was this hilariously aggressive man-chaser.  Yellow being her character's predominant color in both might've been a coincidence.