Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

nipkowdisc, defender of wildlife

7 posts in this topic

today was one of those interesting eventful days for me as I hadda go for a routine checkup and get stuck like I knew I would but came through it like the trooper I am. coming out of the doctor's office we spotted a turtle which had become lodged in the railing of a cement ramp. it's that time of the year when terrapins cross the road and meet with grave misfortune. so we drove the little schtootz to the nearest body of water and set him free. he stuck his head out first and seconds later swam away. we spotted a splattered one on a street while driving this one down to the water.

:D

• Like 1

Cute story Nippy.  Regards from your pals, the Trumps.  And remember, Dad is doing his best to remove all wildlife and environmental protections.

CrhHSBdUMAE53he.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

today was one of those interesting eventful days for me as I hadda go for a routine checkup and get stuck like I knew I would but came through it like the trooper I am. coming out of the doctor's office we spotted a turtle which had become lodged in the railing of a cement ramp. it's that time of the year when terrapins cross the road and meet with grave misfortune. so we drove the little schtootz to the nearest body of water and set him free. he stuck his head out first and seconds later swam away. we spotted a splattered one on a street while driving this one down to the water.

:D

Box turtles comes into my yard a lot, carry them to the hill behind my house to avoid becoming roadkill.

Female-box-turtles.jpg

• Like 2

the terrapin we rescued was a female who got waylayed by her nesting sojourn. I think my state oughta make it a serious misdemeanor to splatter our cute terrapins like that. these turtles are different having one of the largest ranges of our indigenous turtles and the only ones to inhabit tidal salt marshes perfectly at home in our brackish waters.

Oklahoma fishermen catch 'behemoth' alligator snapping turtle

17503049eb8a091de02a9fbeb03ecd1b

Two fishermen in southeast Oklahoma unexpectedly caught a 4-foot long, roughly 100-pound alligator snapping turtle earlier this month. Fishing with a trotline on Saturday morning, Jonathan Van Fleet and Anthony Dover came across the turtle which, according to the Oklahoma Game Warden, “found itself in a rather peculiar situation by munching on one of the sunfish used as bait.” Van Fleet and Dover removed the “behemoth” turtle from the tangled trotline before taking the hook out of its mouth. Afterward, Van Fleet called local game warden Mark Hannah, who helped the men measure the turtle, which appeared to be healthy, before returning the massive reptile to Little River. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/9475f8ee-994b-3555-82c1-3759f09cf6b4/ss_oklahoma-fishermen-catch.html

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Oklahoma fishermen catch 'behemoth' alligator snapping turtle

17503049eb8a091de02a9fbeb03ecd1b

Two fishermen in southeast Oklahoma unexpectedly caught a 4-foot long, roughly 100-pound alligator snapping turtle earlier this month. Fishing with a trotline on Saturday morning, Jonathan Van Fleet and Anthony Dover came across the turtle which, according to the Oklahoma Game Warden, “found itself in a rather peculiar situation by munching on one of the sunfish used as bait.” Van Fleet and Dover removed the “behemoth” turtle from the tangled trotline before taking the hook out of its mouth. Afterward, Van Fleet called local game warden Mark Hannah, who helped the men measure the turtle, which appeared to be healthy, before returning the massive reptile to Little River. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/9475f8ee-994b-3555-82c1-3759f09cf6b4/ss_oklahoma-fishermen-catch.html

Where was that snapper when we really needed him?

♫ Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down...SNAP!

7bcd91571fc1119e87d81e1054255e73_700x259

• Haha 1