Sign in to follow this  
ILoveAllClassicMovies

Cabin in the Sky

4 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ILoveAllClassicMovies said:

Cabin in the Sky - just want to say thanks for making this suggested viewing. I'd never watched it before and I LOVED it.

What did you enjoy most about it?

40 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

What did you enjoy most about it?

I always try to get a plug-in for the tap dancer in any movie because the tap dancer is the most entertaining part of the movie. LOL

This particular tap dancer in Cabin in the Sky is special. John Bubbles was one of the smoothest and top-of-the-line tap dance Professionals in the business on Broadway and in Hollywood. 

With his singing and stride piano playing partner, Buck, he headlined the Ziegfeld Follies of 1931.

In 1935 Bubbles created the role of Sportin' Life in Gershwin's Porgy and Bess on Broadway.

Near the end of his career he hooked up again with an MGM star. He opened for Judy Garland in some of her late 60s concerts.  The tap dancer also appeared on television on The Lucy Show and and in a Barbra Streisand special, The Belle of 14th Street.

Often forgotten today, his tap dance style and Jazz improvisational  rhythms belong right up there with Fred Astaire and Sammy Davis jr.

BTW--Sammy portrayed the character of Sportin' Life in the Otto Preminger Porgy and Bess movie.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I always try to get a plug-in for the tap dancer in any movie because the tap dancer is the most entertaining part of the movie. LOL

This particular tap dancer in Cabin in the Sky is special. John Bubbles was one of the smoothest and top-of-the-line tap dance Professionals in the business on Broadway and in Hollywood. 

With his singing and stride piano playing partner, Buck, he headlined the Ziegfeld Follies of 1931.

In 1935 Bubbles created the role of Sportin' Life in Gershwin's Porgy and Bess on Broadway.

Near the end of his career he hooked up again with an MGM star. He opened for Judy Garland in some of her late 60s concerts.  The tap dancer also appeared on television on The Lucy Show and and in a Barbra Streisand special, The Belle of 14th Street.

Often forgotten today, his tap dance style and Jazz improvisational  rhythms belong right up there with Fred Astaire and Sammy Davis jr.

BTW--Sammy portrayed the character of Sportin' Life in the Otto Preminger Porgy and Bess movie.

The only thing I had ever seen him in was the 1967 episode from The Lucy Show. I think it's the one where Lucy Carmichael goes back to her hometown in New York and there's a parade down the main street. She and Bubbles do a little dance scene in the malt shop. Mel Torme accompanies them on piano. It's cute.

• Thanks 1