MarkH

Alice Faye and Fox musicals

28 posts in this topic

I saw Moon Over Miami for the first time on TCM. I have always been a Betty Grable fan and was surprised that I had not seen it before. Also a Robert Cummings fan... and found out that he actually was a singer. I have also been disappointed that Grable and other have been omitted from this course. Although I have been a huge Gene Kelly fan, there is too much concentration on him, Astaire etc. I was pleased to see the inclusion of Donald O'Connor and Dan Dailey, even if they were attached to Kelly

• Like 2

I've been a long-time fan of Alice Faye, ever since I saw her opposite Tyrone Power, in the 1937 movie "In Old Chicago," almost 45 years ago. Since then, I have sought out her other movies, and listened to her singing and acting on radio. I always felt she was a much more "explosive" bombshell than Betty Grable.  Twentieth Century clearly pushed other actresses ahead of Faye (Grable, Darnell, etc.) for reasons that I never understood. In frustration, she walked out on Zanuck & Co. in 1945, and returned to her roots in radio. She got her start in radio as a singer with Rudy Vallee's band and was introduced to a national audience on his radio show in the early thirties. Before radio, she was in small-time vaudeville. Then, she got her break on Broadway, in the "George White's Scandals of 1931," After Vallee introduced her on radio, she started in movies in 1934 and made 32 movies between then and 1945. After her 1945 walkout, she starred in only one more movie, "State Fair" in 1962, though she had occasional cameos in later films. In 1974, she returned to Broadway for a revival of "Good News," with John Payne (and later, Gene Nelson).

In 1946, she and her second husband*, Phil Harris, became the stars of the long-running "Fitch Bandwagon," when it changed its format from variety to situation comedy. After two years with Fitch, the couple changed sponsors to Rexall Drugs and changed the show's name to "The Phil Harris - Alice Faye Show." Through several sponsors, the show remained on radio until 1954. On these wonderfully hilarious shows about their married life, she sang and butted heads with Phil, then he sang and did something stupid with his guitar player, Frankie Remley (played by Elliot Lewis). They had running gags about Phil's drinking and illiteracy, and her wealth, movie career, and singing talent . She proved herself to be a skilled comedienne. She and Harris married in 1941 and had two children. They remained together until his death in 1995. Though Zanuck fed rumors of a fierce rivalry between her and Betty Grable, Faye held no grudge against her. They were close friends at the time and remained friends until Grable's death in 1973. Alice Faye was a great star and a class act.

*Her first husband was singer, Tony Martin. Band leader Phil Harris was a long-time cast member of "The Jack Benny Show," from 1936 to 1952. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

I've been a long-time fan of Alice Faye, ever since I saw her opposite Tyrone Power, in the 1937 movie "In Old Chicago," almost 45 years ago. Since then, I have sought out her other movies, and listened to her singing and acting on radio. I always felt she was a much more "explosive" bombshell than Betty Grable.  Twentieth Century clearly pushed other actresses ahead of Faye (Grable, Darnell, etc.) for reasons that I never understood. In frustration, she walked out on Zanuck & Co. in 1945, and returned to her roots in radio. She got her start in radio as a singer with Rudy Vallee's band and was introduced to a national audience on his radio show in the early thirties. Before radio, she was in small-time vaudeville. Then, she got her break on Broadway, in the "George White's Scandals of 1931," After Vallee introduced her on radio, she started in movies in 1934 and made 32 movies between then and 1945. After her 1945 walkout, she starred in only one more movie, "State Fair" in 1962, though she had occasional cameos in later films. In 1974, she returned to Broadway for a revival of "Good News," with John Payne (and later, Gene Nelson).

In 1946, she and her second husband*, Phil Harris, became the stars of the long-running "Fitch Bandwagon," when it changed its format from variety to situation comedy. After two years with Fitch, the couple changed sponsors to Rexall Drugs and changed the show's name to "The Phil Harris - Alice Faye Show." Through several sponsors, the show remained on radio until 1954. On these wonderfully hilarious shows about their married life, she sang and butted heads with Phil, then he sang and did something stupid with his guitar player, Frankie Remley (played by Elliot Lewis). They had running gags about Phil's drinking and illiteracy, and her wealth, movie career, and singing talent . She proved herself to be a skilled comedienne. She and Harris married in 1941 and had two children. They remained together until his death in 1995. Though Zanuck fed rumors of a fierce rivalry between her and Betty Grable, Faye held no grudge against her. They were close friends at the time and remained friends until Grable's death in 1973. Alice Faye was a great star and a class act.

*Her first husband was singer, Tony Martin. Band leader Phil Harris was a long-time cast member of "The Jack Benny Show," from 1936 to 1952. 

Such a great write-up. I just love her movies. She was a real superstar talent.

• Thanks 1