Sign in to follow this  
Rejana Raj

The Kings of Flash Dancing

8 posts in this topic

2nicholasbros-2.jpg

I am in awe of these men who are the Greatest dancers in the History of Hollywood. Even the “King of Class” Fred Astaire proclaimed them as the best dancers. They are the Nicholas Brothers. Fayard Antonio Nicholas and Harold Lloyd Nicholas have come a long way through dance. The dance sequence which I liked a lot is from the musical film called “Stormy Weather” along with the likes of Cab Calloway and Lena Horne. Here is the clip.

nicholasbrothers572.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

These two guys are indeed fantastic and they've been dancing as a duo forever.  The first film they appear in is 1932's short film (which also features Nina Mae McKinney who we saw in Hallelujah) Pie, Pie Blackbird.  Fayard is 18  while Harold is all of 11.  I'm uncertain whether that short can be found on the internet, but if you can track down the Warner Bros DVD of Cabin In The Sky you'll find that short along with the very excellent The Black Network short which also features the Nicholas Brothers (and Nina Mae McKinney). 

I had no idea this clip came from Stormy Weather, which I've bypassed at my local library for the past two weeks! (It's tough to squeeze in movies not in this course while watching the endless list appearing on TCM this month.) I've seen this clip before, but thanks for posting it here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love the Nicholas Brothers! Here is the dance from Pie, Pie Blackbird.  The entire short can also be found on Youtube.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Rejana Raj, for your post.  The first photo, where they are flying above the orchestra, is stunning.  The Nicholas Brothers dazzled with their performances, and the Pie, Pie Blackbird number displays some of their signature moves seen later in their careers.   They are extraordinary!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, aheadbyecho said:

These two guys are indeed fantastic and they've been dancing as a duo forever.  The first film they appear in is 1932's short film (which also features Nina Mae McKinney who we saw in Hallelujah) Pie, Pie Blackbird.  Fayard is 18  while Harold is all of 11.  I'm uncertain whether that short can be found on the internet, but if you can track down the Warner Bros DVD of Cabin In The Sky you'll find that short along with the very excellent The Black Network short which also features the Nicholas Brothers (and Nina Mae McKinney). 

I had no idea this clip came from Stormy Weather, which I've bypassed at my local library for the past two weeks! (It's tough to squeeze in movies not in this course while watching the endless list appearing on TCM this month.) I've seen this clip before, but thanks for posting it here!

You are most welcome! I am glad that you liked the clip! ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TVFan75 said:

Love the Nicholas Brothers! Here is the dance from Pie, Pie Blackbird.  The entire short can also be found on Youtube.

Gee, thanks for sharing this clip with us! 

19 hours ago, classicsuz said:

Thank you, Rejana Raj, for your post.  The first photo, where they are flying above the orchestra, is stunning.  The Nicholas Brothers dazzled with their performances, and the Pie, Pie Blackbird number displays some of their signature moves seen later in their careers.   They are extraordinary!

You are most welcome! Those men have been high flyers! ?

On 6/14/2018 at 10:57 AM, TVFan75 said:

What a great clip! I notice that, at about 1:36, the younger brother accidentally touches the floor, but does he stop dancing? And his brother gives him nothing but smiles and encouragement. Heartwarming on so many levels.

And I wonder if Michael Jackson got all his moves from the Nicholas brothers.

• Like 1