CaveGirl

Garbo

32 posts in this topic

On June 15, 2018 at 6:37 PM, MotherofZeus said:

@Sepiatone, I feel that way about Norma Shearer. Just. Don't. Get. It. However, she clearly struck a chord with some. I find her a fascinating person to study but not as an actress. I think @CaveGirl has it right that it takes all kinds. 

Yes Garbo as well as her audience would have definitively benefitted of refraining from retirement. Don't get Norma Shearer either. She did good with Janet Leigh

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 10:46 PM, midnight08 said:

Sepiatone, I feel exactly like you do about both Garbo and Dietrich. I never understood the allure that either of them had but I can appreciate the fascination that fans have with them.

By the way, where is "johnboy"? Wasn't he the poster that absolutely adored Garbo?  He would always post a response to anything related to Garbo. And he initiated many threads on her. I wonder what happened to him. He would surely appreciate this thread. 

I think johnboy or whatever the name was, was a she. We lost  her years ago. She only talked about Garbo and most of her threads were about why werent more Garbo films being shown.

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2018 at 6:37 PM, MotherofZeus said:

@Sepiatone, I feel that way about Norma Shearer. Just. Don't. Get. It. However, she clearly struck a chord with some. I find her a fascinating person to study but not as an actress. I think @CaveGirl has it right that it takes all kinds. 

DITTO. She comes off totally fake and artificial to me (Shearer) It doesnt help that most of her films are very dated, drawing room type stuff........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Hibi said:

I think johnboy or whatever the name was, was a she. We lost  her years ago. She only talked about Garbo and most of her threads were about why werent more Garbo films being shown. 

Thanks for letting me know. It's sad to hear. I know there was a thread several months ago about former posters who either disappeared or passed on but no mention was made about "johnboy". 

Yes, I'm not sure what happened to her. It might have happened when we migrated from the old boards. She wasnt able to make the transition. Or maybe other reasons. Who knows? She wouldn't post for months, then there's be a thread topic complaining about Garbo films. She was basically harmless, but seemed to have a one track mind....

Speaking of Garbo, did anyone watch or record The Kiss on Lew Ayres day? I recorded it, but havent watched it yet. I've seen it before, but not in a long time. This was Garbo's last silent. And only survives from a print (I believe). The original negative  and copy was lost in a fire, if I remember correctly.

I hadnt realized, but it was MGM's last silent as well.

25 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Speaking of Garbo, did anyone watch or record The Kiss on Lew Ayres day? I recorded it, but havent watched it yet. I've seen it before, but not in a long time. This was Garbo's last silent. And only survives from a print (I believe). The original negative  and copy was lost in a fire, if I remember correctly.

I hadnt realized, but it was MGM's last silent as well.

I watched it but didn't record it.