spence

Who else has gone to the theatre to see any of TCM's Classiuc Movie Series yet:?

34 posts in this topic

By now most that watch our favorite  network has seen the monthly ads for TCM's running CLASSIC MOVIE SERIES, or have you???   I very much was curious if any of you fellow TCM-ITES has taken up it's lead & went to your local theatre-(if the played there?) & saw any of these famed motion pictures yet or not? Reason it brings it to mind is as most likely also know by now the 1961 10 timer *Oscar sweeping WEST SIDE STORY is next on the menu & who plans to go see it again on the big screen-(NOTE: Thanks as usual to LawrencA, he replied top me in only about 3 minutes, after searching all over the net to locate where & when this classic may be opening & of course in my lousy area down here in St.Pete, FL. He gave my the works & I thank you pal!)  Plus, what other classics have you had the chance to see-(only in recent years) back on that big screen in a theatre?

(P.S. Most that know of me within the finest forums on the net & I'm all over the place) may know of my more then partial feelings-(even prior to her stunning demise on Nov. 29th, 1981 when I was a kid of 16) to say the least for the tragic & what I still consider "THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN I HAVE EVER SEEN" In NATALIE WOOD.  I bring it up because despite her ever incredible presence-(a lot of it's cast was by no means happy with her starring as Maria though, another story) or I probably wouldn't go & see this tremendous film. Mostly busy reviewing new releases & I've gone to many classics in the theatre when they were brought back a local theatre  i.e. GWTW-(3 times), TREASURE SIERRA MADRE, CASABLANCA, KANE, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, VERTIGO, REAR WINDOW, GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER, REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE-(only 1 of 2 times I got to see her on the silver=-screen, the other in October of 1983 & BRAINSTORM & MORE      AS ALWAYS PLEASE SEND YOUR OWN VIEWS & I THANK YOU SPORTS FANS

I go to these showings quite often- always the Sunday matinee. The love of classic films runs in my family, so sometimes they accompany me, sometimes they choose not to. Sometimes I get a " I can watch it on TCM" from them!

The last showing we all saw together was CASABLANCA. Sold out showing! Last month, I went by myself to see SUNSET BLVD. I was astonished because there were only about 8 other folks there. Very disappointing.

I'm looking forward to WEST SIDE STORY. I've never seen it on the big screen!

• Like 1

I've been to multiple showings.  I always go to the Wednesday evening ones, because those are the showings that my husband can attend too.  I've seen: Casablanca, Double Indemnity, Rear Window, Vertigo, White Christmas, Singin' in the Rain, Sunset Blvd, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, On the Waterfront, and probably some other ones too, all on the big screen.  The particular theater I go to has leather reclining seats, so it's much like lounging in the living room and seeing a classic on the big screen. 

• Like 2

I have started taking my millennial daughter to see the TCM series on the big screen. The first one I took her to was Gone With the Wind. I knew that there was no way she was gonna sit on the sofa and watch a 4 hour movie with all of her electronic devices readily available and GWTW is always at it's best on the big screen anyway. She loved it and thanked me profusely for taking her - in fact she's enjoyed ALL of the films that I've taken her to see. Though I've seen all of these movies multiple times, I really like seeing them on the big screen as well - the black and white films are so vivid and clear as compared to a television screen. The last one we went to see was Sunset Boulevard. Not a big fan of West Side Story, so I think we'll pass on this one.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I go to these showings quite often- always the Sunday matinee. The love of classic films runs in my family, so sometimes they accompany me, sometimes they choose not to. Sometimes I get a " I can watch it on TCM" from them!

The last showing we all saw together was CASABLANCA. Sold out showing! Last month, I went by myself to see SUNSET BLVD. I was astonished because there were only about 8 other folks there. Very disappointing.

I'm looking forward to WEST SIDE STORY. I've never seen it on the big screen!

Back around '96 or so a local theatre chain AMC & at an actual mall that's still intact & not broken up like most thesedays?  Tyrone Sq. Mall & to show folks how bad the punks were ruining this mall, they were harassing & whats called "Wilding" with women in the parking lot!!! Then I was in same mall another time & more punks released "mace" into the entire mall air system!   NICE HUH   But back to the topic at hand, I used to go to first run new releases there all-the time-(now theatre is still open, but there is still animals either causing or trying to cause trouble. They did finally build a theatre way in back of it's parking lot & it's a grand new theatre, but very $pricy$ especially it's very beautifully constructed cafeteria!  I;ve ony been there twice td,   Now the forementioned theatre used to have a neat special all the time & for brand new movies called "mini, money, movie, Monday" only a buck. 7 saw the likes of "First Blood" first one was good (***) -(back in oct./ of '82, Sly was huge with ticket goers & the line stretched round inside of this mall, I asked a guy why it was ike this-9oo00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000………………………………………………………………...

I sked this guy why it was like this & he quickly said to me "It's Stallone" unquote & a fast example of others on this $1 day each Monday "The Thing" "Under Fire" (powerful) "Conan: The Barbarian" "Best Little Whoirehouse in Teas" "Partners"-(yeah, that awful comedy) & more 

I saw quite a few of the TCM/Fathom Events theatrical releases that came out last year: All About EveAn Affair to RememberNorth by NorthwestFast Times at Ridgmont HighThe GraduateBonnie and Clyde. I also saw a re-release of Close Encounters that was not a TCM thing but in a similar vein with a little intro doc. There have been more this year, but I haven't seen any of them.

• Like 1

As part of the TCM series, I've seen Singin' in the Rain, The Birds, White Christmas, and an excellent double feature of A Christmas Carol (1938) and Christmas In Connecticut.  Every one was a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, after the latter holiday movies, our local theater multiplex stopped participating in the TCM series.  I couldn't figure it out.  Every one of the movies we saw in the TCM series had packed houses, with very enthusiastic audiences.  This usually isn't the case at this multiplex on Sunday afternoons and Wednesday evenings, when we saw the TCM movies.  So it's somewhat hard to believe that the multiplex had more profitable uses for the one theater (out of 12) that they used for the TCM series.

There are a few other theaters in our large metropolitan area that feature the TCM series, but they're all an hour or more away from where we live.  So we've skipped the TCM series, not because we don't want to see the movies, but because there isn't a "local" theater playing them.

It's too bad.  Even though we could easily watch most of the TCM-series movies at home, seeing them on the big screen is a very different experience that we love!

17 hours ago, JulieD411 said:

I have started taking my millennial daughter to see the TCM series on the big screen. The first one I took her to was Gone With the Wind. I knew that there was no way she was gonna sit on the sofa and watch a 4 hour movie with all of her electronic devices readily available and GWTW is always at it's best on the big screen anyway. She loved it and thanked me profusely for taking her - in fact she's enjoyed ALL of the films that I've taken her to see. Though I've seen all of these movies multiple times, I really like seeing them on the big screen as well - the black and white films are so vivid and clear as compared to a television screen. The last one we went to see was Sunset Boulevard. Not a big fan of West Side Story, so I think we'll pass on this one.

Yeah, one of the flix in this series was actually GREASE though?  They did have the very good & now classic 1991 *Oscar wining-(script) THELMA & LOUISE though ($45m.,) (***1/2) & a couple before that, this TCM series reminds me of the one I often mentioned over the years at the TAMPA THEATRE -(est: 1926-) & it;'s annual Summer Movie Classic series or some title like that.  this TAMPA THEATEE even has whats called The Mighty Wurlitzer, a very elderly gent used to play this bizarre organ & then get lifted under the stage before the feature started, wrll, he died & his daughter carries tradition on. & the always have an annual *Oscar party & celebration, red carpets & all. even showing the telecasyt on it's silver-=screen iside. The 12 picture I always wanted to go & see in this series is *:THE GODFATHER" the lady mgr told me fans show up dressed up like mobsters

The only one I've gone to is, admittedly, Gone with the Wind (1939) and that was about 3 years ago or so. I didn't feel like seeing Casablanca, since it is decidedly not one of my favorite films by far. I do intend to go see some of the ones in the lineup for the rest of the year. 

43 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

The only one I've gone to is, admittedly, Gone with the Wind (1939) and that was about 3 years ago or so. I didn't feel like seeing Casablanca, since it is decidedly not one of my favorite films by far. I do intend to go see some of the ones in the lineup for the rest of the year. 

I've seen Casablanca twice in the theater.  I actually haven't seen Gone With the Wind all the way through, but I don't think I could sit in a theater for 3.5 hours.  Sometimes the people in the theater get on my nerves so much, it's all I can do to make it through an hour and a half.

Re: the upcoming events, I may go see West Side Story with my mom if we can figure out a way to meet on a Wednesday night to see the film (we live an hour and a half apart from one another), can't go Sunday because we're coming back from camping three hours away from either one of our homes and we have to hopefully pick up the bird from the bird store where he's being boarded for the weekend, otherwise we'll incur extra charges.  

After West Side Story, I'm hoping to go to: Rebel Without a Cause in September and White Christmas in December.  Maybe Mr. Smith Goes to Washington in October, but I'm undecided about that one.  

speedracer, I haven't seen GWTW in a theater, but I went at random on an Easter Sunday, the year was either 2013 or 2014. The theater was abandoned as I've never seen it. There might have been more people going to see movies at noon on a Tuesday than there were this particular evening. Having no idea what was even playing, I strolled up to the ticket window about 6:53 and saw that The Ten Commandments was starting at 7 pm. I can't recall now if this was a TCM/Fathom Events thing or not. I don't really recall any Robert Osborne or Ben Mankiewicz intro. Maybe Paramount just put it out because it was Easter Sunday. Anyway, I had no time at all to think about it (which was probably for the best!) and said "What the hey?" and bought a ticket. While I'd seen bits and pieces on TV many times over the years since childhood, I'm pretty sure I'd never sat down and watched the whole thing from beginning to end. The number of people at the screening were in the single digits - more than five, but fewer than 10. So, I could sit wherever I wanted. I took a center seat about a third of the way back, as everyone else was bunched up in the last five or six rows. I had the whole front half of the theater to mayself.

Commandments is 18 minutes shorter than Wind, according to imdb, but at 220 minutes, it is still one looong movie. I don't recall now if there was an intermission. I guess if there was one built into the movie itself, then we probably had one. About the time Moses goes into exile, maybe. I got very uncomfortable as we rolled into the fourth hour. The final 25 minutes or so of the movie, I stood up and walked over to the side of the theater and stood with my back against a wall, stretching, for the remainder of the movie. Anyway, glad I saw it in the theater, but it was a bit of an ordeal.

• Like 1

(TRIVIA FUN FAX: Did you know the legendary parting of the red sea sequence was actually filmed in the Paramount pictures parking lot?   On my 3 vacations to date there I got to stay at exact same motel located at 777 n. vine & almost a stone's throw from the old RKO Radio side of that same lot they shared & on the tour they spoke of it, plus tv's Cheers used same poarking lot, '98's THE TRUMAN SHOW & lots more  They just empty out the cars & fill it with water is all SMOKE & MIRRORS

There was always an intermission for GWTW though.  Only other movie I had one at was 1993's powerful GETTYSBURG 4hrs & 13 minutes!

I just went last night actually to see West Side Story (1961) in the theater. I enjoy watching these on the big screen as they were intended; it really brings a lot to the table. That being said, I had really only seen about half of this movie before, which could be considered quite strange, as I am an avid musical theatre fan. However, there were only about 5 of us in the auditorium last night, so there were many seat choices. I love the score to this so much. Bernstein and Sondheim really collaborated well for this. 

Related image

• Like 3

Always been interested in seeing the older movies on the big screen, but haven't been able to find the time for it unfortunately.

I would LOVE to catch GONE WITH THE WIND in the theater. What an experience that would be.

13 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I would LOVE to catch GONE WITH THE WIND in the theater. What an experience that would be.

It was! They showed it about 3 years ago or so, and it was phenomenal on the big screen. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 10:38 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Always been interested in seeing the older movies on the big screen, but haven't been able to find the time for it unfortunately.

As far as these TCM "Fantom features" and TCM theater events, well, I don't know of any theaters in the DETROIT area that hosts them.  And I DAMN sure ain't going out to the West Coast just to see some old movie in a theater.  But.....

Detroit's old and recently( 25 years ago) restored FOX THEATER would and still occasionally show "classic" movies based on something like a significant anniversary or other occasion.  Over the years at the Fox, I've seen:

BEN-HUR( 30th anniversary showing)

THE WIZARD OF OZ( 50th ann.)

GONE WITH THE WIND(50th too)

CITIZEN KANE( Yeah, 50th again)

CASABLANCA( no ann. but some special reason).

And BETH----GWTW in a theater IS quite an experience.  For years, and long before it was EVER shown on television, the movie would make it's rounds( much like they too did with both FANTASIA and THE SOUND OF MUSIC) at many local downtown Detroit movie houses, most of which are now gone.  :(  And, I'm guessing, to many other cities as well.

Oh, and one time... a buddy of mine( and long time member of the Blackhawk Film society) traveled the 40 miles to the U-M campus in Ann Arbor, MI to see KING KONG( '33) in an old movie house located on the campus.  Until then only saw it on TV's Saturday horror matinees and it was the first time I saw the "squash the native underfoot" scene, and FAY WRAY getting undressed by the big ape, too.  ;)  They usually cut those scenes out for TV broadcasts.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did finally go to WEST SIDE... on Sunday & as superb as ever!  1961 truly should have been NATALIE'S biggest yr though, between this & most now also agree deserved Best actress *Oscar for SPLENDOR INTHE GRASS-(*Sophia Loren in "Two Women" won instead)

Sole debit & over many yrs most still scratch their head over *Chakiris also taking home the *Academy Award???-(deserved the nom though in my humble opinion, but he defeated: Jackie Gleason & George C. Scott in THE HUSTLER, Peter Falk, POCKETFUL OF MIRACLES & Montgomery Clift brilliant, but a mess by then in JUDGMENMT AT NUREMBERG 

This was the first I went to in the TCM series, but over 36yrs I've been to lots of classics.

MY WISH LIST  ON THESE THOUGH IS>

*THE GODFATHER

CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS-(barely over BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK)

SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS & or INSIDE DAISY CLOVER

& SOME CAME RUNING

Have yet to have the opportunity to see these as yet in a theatre

THANX

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:06 AM, speedracer5 said:

I've seen Casablanca twice in the theater.  I actually haven't seen Gone With the Wind all the way through, but I don't think I could sit in a theater for 3.5 hours.  Sometimes the people in the theater get on my nerves so much, it's all I can do to make it through an hour and a half.

Re: the upcoming events, I may go see West Side Story with my mom if we can figure out a way to meet on a Wednesday night to see the film (we live an hour and a half apart from one another), can't go Sunday because we're coming back from camping three hours away from either one of our homes and we have to hopefully pick up the bird from the bird store where he's being boarded for the weekend, otherwise we'll incur extra charges.  

After West Side Story, I'm hoping to go to: Rebel Without a Cause in September and White Christmas in December.  Maybe Mr. Smith Goes to Washington in October, but I'm undecided about that one.  

I'll neverv forget something when I once went to see CASABLANCA  & some apparent cult guy of that legendary classic, was reciting the lines ahead of time, but quietly

Just now, spence said:

I'll neverv forget something when I once went to see CASABLANCA  & some apparent cult guy of that legendary classic, was reciting the lines ahead of time, but quietly

Did get to also see REBEL... around 1990 or so

Anybody else have a short WISH-LIST???

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:51 PM, speedracer5 said:

I've been to multiple showings.  I always go to the Wednesday evening ones, because those are the showings that my husband can attend too.  I've seen: Casablanca, Double Indemnity, Rear Window, Vertigo, White Christmas, Singin' in the Rain, Sunset Blvd, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, On the Waterfront, and probably some other ones too, all on the big screen.  The particular theater I go to has leather reclining seats, so it's much like lounging in the living room and seeing a classic on the big screen. 

Think I mentioned this a few times before & this was despicable!!! went to check out TREASURE SIERRA MADRE in 1986 & the theatre actually cut sequences out to save time

& that same theatre also showed THE PUBLIC ENEMY & had to go to screening room because top 1/2 of the film was cut off a wee bit?

On here I cited my own personal WIUSH-LIST of classics I'd most love to see on a big screen & you cited that you got to see *WATERFRONT!!!  A LUCKY ONE INDEED

Over the years among your list I did go to VERTIGO & REAR WINDOW-(l980's)

Actually, I haven't the TIME to type out a "wish list" of classic flicks I'd like to see in a theater.

So, in order to feel I'm contributing something, I'll just say all the MARX BROTHERS flicks and the LAUREL AND HARDY collection!  ;)  

And SPENCE must be LOTS younger than I thought 'cause MY movie theater experiences go back to 1957!  :o

Sepiatone

Several years ago I went see Casablanca hoping to see a B&W print. Turned out it was a DVR recording off of Dish Network being played back. Then to top off the insult they had technical problems and had to constantly start/stop the playback. I did get a refund, but I haven't been tempted since.

• Sad 1