spence

Who else has gone to the theatre to see any of TCM's Classiuc Movie Series yet:?

34 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Jezzabel said:

Several years ago I went see Casablanca hoping to see a B&W print. Turned out it was a DVR recording off of Dish Network being played back. Then to top off the insult they had technical problems and had to constantly start/stop the playback. I did get a refund, but I haven't been tempted since.

Wow. That seems quite unprofessional, and not worth everyone's time. I can see how that can be a turn off. But I would highly recommend going to see one of TCM's upcoming big screen features. It is quite astounding to see them on the big screen as they were intended. 

I went to the sound of music a few years ago and I recently saw the producers. Even though I have seen these movies over and over again I always enjoy seeing them on the big screen with an audience. It is a completely different experience as opposed to watching them on tv or DVD. I enjoy the interactive quality being in a theater brings to the movie watching experince.

• Like 2

Response to JEZZabel---

Couldn't be TOO long ago, since, as you claim, it was a DVR recording.

Seems strange and angering to me that some jerkwad would actually consider charging people money to watch something like that. I can understand your discouragement if there's no other source for seeing "classics" on the "big screen" in wherever your area is.

Plus, age is a factor in this discussion since some have mentioned a desire to see some "classic" on the big screen that I'VE originally seen that way.  Especially WEST SIDE STORY, which I didn't see ever until a local DRIVE-IN showed it EIGHT YEARS after it came out for some reason.  And some of us "old-timers" remember how big THOSE screens were!  :D

Sepiatone

That jerkwad would have been Fathom Events, the same people currently doing this. I think it was the 70th Anniversary showing back in 2012.

Dec. 2016 theater was showing From Here to Eternity on the big screen. It was myself and 8 other people all over the age of 70. ?  

• Like 1

My best friend and I have seen quite a few of these during the last few years. 

• The Sound Of Music - 3 times during the last 5 years
  • White Christmas - 2 times during the last 5 years
  • Vertigo
  • Rear Window
  • Psycho
  • Gone With The Wind
  • Funny Girl
  • All About Eve
  • The King And I
  • Carousel
  • An Affair To Remember
  • The Ten Commandments
  • Breakfast At Tiffany's
  • It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
  • Casablanca
  • Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

We also have another local theater that shows classic movies every Tuesday night.  We've been three times so far.

• Touch Of Evil
  • The Haunting
  • Cat On A Hot Tin Roof

We love seeing our favorite classics on the big screen again with an audience.  Most of these screenings have had decent crowds attending, and several have been sellouts.  "Psycho" and "Mad World" were the two we saw with the least attendance (about a dozen others in the audience along with us).  Audience reaction has been positive and everyone seems to have a great time.  Many times we have talked with others who are bringing their kids or friends to see these movies for the first time.  It's been a fun experience! 

We plan to see "South Pacific" in August and, at our local theater Tuesday classic series, "Written On The Wind" and "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever" are coming soon.

12 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

it's all already been on TV.

:lol:

Nipkow, you hadn't posted in so long, I thought you were dead! And now you return just to repeat the exact same thing you already said and add a laughing a emoji as if your point is somehow so painfully obvious everyone on earth but you must be laughed at.

You don't have any interest in seeing classic films in their original theatrical dimensions and sizes? And in the environment and atmosphere in which they were intended to be shown? "It's already been on TV" actually doesn't strike me as a very strong argument.

• Thanks 1

What's kinda sad too, Sewhite,  is that he probably thinks people are laughing WITH him!  :(

Sepiatone

• Like 1