HoldenIsHere

A STAR IS BORN (2018) trailer

32 posts in this topic

The trailer for the upcoming A STAR IS BORN remake directed by Bradley Cooper and starring Cooper and Lady Gaga is now available.

This movie truly looks amazing! I'm very excited to see this one.

As one of the YouTube posters commented, it's a remake of a remake of remake, but it still looks like it will be a really good movie.

• Like 4

Interesting....thanks for posting that.

I really like seeing Gaga out of costume, as a regular person.
I've only seen the Gaynor/March and Garland/Mason versions....this seems to be about singers, not actors. The only flaw I see is that singers can be popular "stars" forever-like Elton John, Billy Joel, Mick Jagger, etc. Musicians don't seem to have as fickle or short a career as movie actors.

Many don't even know that this filmdesopite having a different title was really first handled on the silver-screen in 1932 as WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD?

Obviously for me the sun risers & sets on MADONNA LOUISE VERONICA CICCONE-=(& again for her detractors that jump the gun, she's not a strong actress but one note, that's why she was perfecto for 1996's EVITA ($51m.) (***) & was pretty fun & kinda good in her 1985 debut DESPERATELY SEEKING SYSAN ($27m.) (***-out of 4) but she's obviously no *Streep of course.  Most judge her from her tons of videos & have not seen 1 entire & epic long concert she pout on  She's like a machine that never stops in them, especially around 1990 when she was 32. Her mt. summit period, like *Sinatra in his post Ava years & CAPITOL RECORDS era-(mid to late 1950's) & another people love to hate & pick at like her is of course ELVIS & his  KANE, WATERFRONT, RAGNG BULL, SOPHIE'S CHOICE AKA: His hignote time era & was his 2nd career starting with his galvanizing & powerhouse 1968 tv special & onward. & I always come to his defense when his haters really kick it up after he gained all that weight, but check him out on youtube & his last concerts & his voice was actually operatic bny then! Same goes for Louise, trust me & just search for her via youtube & it's almost exhausting just watching her in a few concerts!!! and7 this little girl people dismissed at first as just another blonde bimbo speaks 6 languages.  I bring her up because of the next A STAR IS BORN & yet another diciple of MADONNA in Lada Ga Ga, I was wrong about this girl-(DIG THIS, SHE'S ACTUALLY 28 years younger than her!) I thought maybe 10 or something at the most, but almost 30yrs older MADONNA has socks older then her. My ma'; tp;d me she watched her teaming with Tony Bennet once & tried to convince me she wasn't just another rippoff of her & low & behold when you match the 2 in singing GA GA is greater!!! I know I;m incredibally prejudiced in regard to MS. CICCONE., however who recalls her & GaGa on SNL about a decade ago fighting & rolling all over the place, see she started a rumor the 2 hated each other to help Ga Ga get even more famous & it worked, Did same with C. Aggulara, Gwen Stefani, J. Timberlake, B. Spears & is now kindfa helping in giving Myli Cyrus-(I KNOW I MESSED UP HER NAME)  more attention too.,etc  BUT, her & *Ellton John are by now means friends!!!

1932's "What price, Hollywood" (***-out of 4) & starred one of Hollywoods most despised actresses back then Connie Bennett, Lowell Sherman had the role somewhat the same later played by *March, Mason & Kristofferson here))

1937's "A Star is Born" (***1/2) (personal;ly never a fan of first Beast actress *academy award winner *J. Gaynor myself, but a terrificly done but a bit dated film on any level. & ended up being *"Wild Bill" Wellman's one & only *Oscar victory for it's writing)

1954 "A Star is Born" (4 big stars!) (obviously the greatest version & maybe rates among Hollywoods top musicals as well. Judy's *Oscar loss has become lore)

1976 "A Star is Born" (**1/2) (this was always meant to be Elvis & *Streisand, but that jerk col. Tom Parker butted in as usual & nixed it for Presley  He never wanted anyone else ustaging his boy as he'd call him, case in pt Ann-Margret in "Viva Las Vegas" Parker was furious when he saw her opposite Elvis in it)

Saying that a film is "dated" is like saying a Shakespeare play or a Stenbeck novel is "dated." Obviously so. You need to approach the work in its own context. A film made in 1937 was no more dated in its time than any film now playing is today.

• Like 3

I will also take a pass.

I absolutely detest Lady Gaga. 

As already been pointed out, this story has already been told FOUR times already....how about coming up with some new stories?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I will also take a pass.

I absolutely detest Lady Gaga. 

As already been pointed out, this story has already been told FOUR times already....how about coming up with some new stories?

It will probably be filmed four more times before the year 2100.

• Haha 2

Just now, TopBilled said:

LOL You're probably right. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

LOL You're probably right. 

With stars who haven't even been born yet. Get it? Star is born for stars not born yet. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

And every single one of them will think they're remaking a 1977 Barbara Streisand movie about singers.

Personally, I thought Carol Burnett did the Streisand parody better:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

And every single one of them will think they're remaking a 1977 Barbara Streisand movie about singers.

Personally, I thought Carol Burnett did the Streisand parody better:

They probably think Barbra's version was the original!

I haven't seen any of the "Star is Born" movies, so I'm thinking I'll stick with the Janet Gaynor or Judy Garland versions. Don't get me wrong, I know Lady Gaga has a fantastic voice (ever since she released those albums with Tony Bennett, I think the general opinion about her began to shift), but I'm not overly interested in this movie. 

Is there an audience for this film?

Any opinions?

16 minutes ago, drednm said:

Any opinions?

Someone must think there is, or else it would not have been given a green light by the studio.

7 minutes ago, drednm said:

Any opinions?

I wouldn't think so, but I often overestimate the modern audience and what they will or won't go see. Cooper is a capable actor, but I don't know that he's a massive box office draw. His movies that have been hits aren't necessarily because he was in them. As for Lady Gaga, her career seems to have stalled a bit, or at least, she isn't quite the ubiquitous presence that she was just a few years ago. This may give her a boost, or be a death knell. Pop music stardom is notoriously short-lived.

And of course more practical considerations, such as when it's released, what it's up against, what it's rated, and how it's promoted and distributed, will be factors, beyond any subjective quality of the film itself.

My guess is that this is a bomb in the making, much like Renee Zellweger's Judy Garland biopic. The audience for these kinds of films don't go to theaters all that often.

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

They probably think Barbra's version was the original!

In Mr. G's case, I'd say we're looking at the reason this movie was made...  😓

1 hour ago, drednm said:

My guess is that this is a bomb in the making, much like Renee Zellweger's Judy Garland biopic. The audience for these kinds of films don't go to theaters all that often.

Didn't we ALREADY just have an off-topic no-resemblance-to-its-original "remake" of a better-known property, about the conflict and heartbreak of would-be rising young singers?...Only it was called "Jem & the Holograms"?

(And I'm not even going to bring up Mariah Carey in "Glitter".)

On 6/15/2018 at 4:54 AM, TikiSoo said:

Interesting....thanks for posting that.

I really like seeing Gaga out of costume, as a regular person.
I've only seen the Gaynor/March and Garland/Mason versions....this seems to be about singers, not actors. The only flaw I see is that singers can be popular "stars" forever-like Elton John, Billy Joel, Mick Jagger, etc. Musicians don't seem to have as fickle or short a career as movie actors.

They seem to have picked up specifically from the 1976 version with Streisand and Kristofferson, that first shifted the story from the world of acting to music. As others on here have hinted, it may be the only version the makers of this version have seen.

I think there can be long or short spans in the spotlight in both professions. Thanks to the touring business, I think it's easier for those who make music to make a living for a longer time, maybe. Although in the last few years, the explosion of scripted content on all those streaming channels are probably giving more actors than ever a chance at a revived career.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:07 AM, drednm said:

Saying that a film is "dated" is like saying a Shakespeare play or a Stenbeck novel is "dated." Obviously so. You need to approach the work in its own context. A film made in 1937 was no more dated in its time than any film now playing is today.

By using a Shakespeare play to make your point, you don't seem to understand what is generally meant by the term "dated."  A movie or a play or a novel can be "of its time" stylistically and can still be timeless or it can be dated. The Wizard of Oz, for example, is a product of its time, but it is also timeless. Gone with the Wind, on the other hand, I would say is dated.

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2018 at 11:46 AM, drednm said:

Any opinions?

Is this a serious question?

Of course, Lady Gaga's enormous fan base would be interested in this movie. And, hopefully non-Gaga fans won't be turned off because of any preconceived notions they have based on her costumed musical performances. Judging by the trailer it looks to be a very honestly acted love story.

• Like 1

Just now, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Of course, Lady Gaga's enormous fan base would be interested in this movie. And, hopefully non-Gaga fans won't be turned off because of any preconceived notions they have based on her costumed musical performances. Judging by the trailer it looks to be a very honestly acted love story .

It only takes one big hit to start a new trend in movies, and this could be the one, but how many "very honestly acted love [stories]" have been big hits in the past decade? However, the paucity of such at the theater may help boost the film, as there's less competition in its genre.

Gaga's previous cinematic offerings (Sin City: A Dame to Kill For and Machete Kills) didn't make much of a dent, even with her aforementioned enormous fanbase, and those were released when her cultural cache was even higher. But those also weren't in her musical wheelhouse, and she wasn't the lead in either. I'm a moderate fan of hers, just to clarify. I don't own any albums, but I think she has a tremendous voice, and I like that she's weird, even if it comes off as desperate at times. That being said, there are a lot of people who detest her, rightly or wrongly.

Whether it's a hit will come down to marketing, distribution and perhaps word-of-mouth. Whether it's good or not...who can say? That's subjective anyway.

1 hour ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Of course, Lady Gaga's enormous fan base would be interested in this movie.

You took the words out of my mouth. Her fan base will support whatever she does. If not for her music , it would be for her charity work and her speaking out on issues. Of course there are those who will call it a bomb no matter how well it does. She seems to be a very divisive person. People tend to love her or not care at all about her.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Gaga's previous cinematic offerings (Sin City: A Dame to Kill For and Machete Kills) didn't make much of a dent, even with her aforementioned enormous fanbase,

She wasn't "the star" of those movies. This is her film so this is the one that counts. We shall see one way or the other.