Sign in to follow this  
Swithin

Kanopy and MoviePass

13 posts in this topic

Has much been written here about Kanopy; and, unrelated, about MoviePass? I've only recently heard about both of them. I've accessed Kanopy with my library card information. There is an amazing collection of films, which continues to grow.

Regarding MoviePass, some friends of mine recommend it highly; others say it can't last. But almost all the mainstream theaters in Manhattan seem to be participating, including the arty and classic Film Society of Lincoln Center, which also screens new films in its several theaters. MoviePass is $9.95 for a monthly pass, which entitles you to see a film a day -- no repeats.

Kanopy is free, so long as you have a library card and your library participates.

https://www.kanopy.com

https://www.moviepass.com

https://www.filmlinc.org

• Like 1

I'm certainly intrigued by MoviePass. I'm a frequent moviegoer - by my informal count, I saw 64 films in the theater last year. I'm not quite on that pace this year. I've seen 23 films in the theater so far in 2018, but now that it's summer, that pace might pick up. And while I try to go to matinees as often as I can, honestly there have been plenty of single movies that have cost me $10 or more. To only have to pay that for a whole month, in which I might see as many as five or six movies, sound too good to be true. I'm a born cynic. I feel just sure there has to be a catch, like none of the movie theaters I usually go to will be participants, or there will be some sort of limitations to which movies I can see that I won't be told about until I have the membership.

I too would like to know if anyone on here is doing this and what their experiences have been.

MoviePass is a nice idea--and as such, has more obnoxiously faithful evangelists on the Internet than Bitcoin--but it's facing financial troubles at the moment from its utopian ideas coming up against the reality of the greedy, strapped theater/studio market vs. its overenthusiastic fans.

So much so that its current problems are being used in the business press to spotlight the current problems of, quote, "Unicorns", groundbreaking post-Uber/Blue Apron 10's Internet startups that can't quite live up to their ideas or turn profits after two years in the market--Creating a, quote, "Dot-Com Bust 2.0"

(Or, as one NYT columnist put it, "I've got a great business idea:  I'm going to sell dollar bills for 75 cents!  If it catches on, maybe I can buy bills in bulk from the Treasury and sell them for $1.50, and collect data on the customers to sell to third parties...What can go wrong?"  :D

Kanopy is free, so long as you have a library card and your library participates.

And as "free", it mostly seems to show the same collection of public-domain, indie-documentary and MGM movies that are already showing up on the usual-streaming-suspects of Netflix and Amazon Prime, for lack of more expensive movies.

If you have a library card, you ALREADY have access to a wide catalog of real classic  movies, just not streaming ones.  The brief boom for more streaming services, despite the cash to license any or the will for studios to do so, has become an utter Thurber-like garden for Internet Unicorns.  

5 hours ago, EricJ said:

MoviePass is a nice idea--and as such, has more obnoxiously faithful evangelists on the Internet than Bitcoin--but it's facing financial troubles at the moment from its utopian ideas coming up against the reality of the greedy, strapped theater/studio market vs. its overenthusiastic fans.

I don't understand the economics of it, but I do notice that (at least in NYC), many movie theater ads tout this line: "We accept MoviePass." Maybe in time, it will develop into something that will get bums in seats in a big way.

Regarding Kanopy, I caught a 2017 film that I missed in the theaters, and watched it twice on Kanopy. I think they have an amazing selection. 

5 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I don't understand the economics of it, but I do notice that (at least in NYC), many movie theater ads tout this line: "We accept MoviePass." Maybe in time, it will develop into something that will get bums in seats in a big way.

I don't subscribe to it, or personally know anyone who does, but another site I frequent has had numerous stories up about MoviePass in the past year or two, and how they've flirted with financial insolvency on a near monthly basis. It seems like a good deal if you frequent the theater, but I would take advantage of it as soon as possible, as many don't think it will last out the year.

I have MoviePass and no, there really aren't any "catches" with it - except that you cannot see the same movie twice and you cannot share the pass with others (your name is embossed on the card). It's $9.99 a month and you can see one movie per day. When you are in the theater parking lot (or somewhere in front of the theater) you open the app and select the movie you are there to see.  Then go to the ticket booth and hand them your MoviePass card as payment. As for Moviepass making money - they are counting on people like me who were billed the monthly fee and didn't see a movie (husband and I were a little busy in May). I have also heard that they are working on some sort of data collection (gender, age, what movie seen, etc.) to sell to movie production companies and possibly theater owners so they can track movie attendance habits . - I remember that the data they would collect seemed much more beneficial to others than my examples, but I've forgotten the logistics.

• Thanks 2

Bumping up this thread to report I discovered that the AMC chain - where I probably see 90 per cent of my movies - does not, as I feared, accept MoviePass. However, they're getting ready to launch their own competing service, which will be more expensive and allow you to see fewer movies per month, but on the other hand will apply to all the AMC formats, 3-D, IMAX, Dolby, etc., which MoviePass does not.

http://collider.com/amc-stubs-a-list-rival-movie-pass/#image

MoviePass Company Needs $1.2B To Reach Profit

Helios and Matheson Analytics, the parent company of movie ticket subscriptions service MoviePass, has launched a $164 million bond sale in an attempt to stay alive. The company reportedly lost $40 million in May and its estimated to lose another $45 million in June says Business Insider.

Additionally a new filing with the SEC this week suggests the company needs more than $1.2 billion of additional capital to maintain the service’s growth and eventually become profitable saying: “To maintain our growth and continue to fundamentally transform the movie industry, for the benefit of the entire movie ecosystem, we will continue to incur a significant monthly cash deficit, until or unless we achieve positive cash flow or profitability, of which there is no assurance.”

In October, Helios and Matheson Analytics was trading at $38.86 per share, it is now at just over 33 cents per share and wants to get that above $1 so it won’t be delisted from the Nasdaq. The report comes in the wake of the world’s largest theatrical exhibitor, AMC Theatres, announcing their own subscription service that will directly compete with MoviePass who responded in an unexpected way – by announcing the always unpopular Uber-style surge pricing along with additional fees for bringing a friend and IMAX & 3D options.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/moviepass-company-needs-1-2b-to-reach-profit/

On 6/21/2018 at 5:57 AM, sewhite2000 said:

Bumping up this thread to report I discovered that the AMC chain - where I probably see 90 per cent of my movies - does not, as I feared, accept MoviePass. However, they're getting ready to launch their own competing service, which will be more expensive and allow you to see fewer movies per month, but on the other hand will apply to all the AMC formats, 3-D, IMAX, Dolby, etc., which MoviePass does not.

http://collider.com/amc-stubs-a-list-rival-movie-pass/#image

AMC stopped accepting MoviePass briefly a while back, but they are accepting it again. Here's an article about AMC's new plan, plus a mention of MoviePass:

"AMC said it will continue to accept MoviePass at all of its locations."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/20/media/amc-monthly-subscription/index.html

• Thanks 1

I’ve been with MoviePass for about 9 months now. I love it and will ride this train until it stops. AMC accepts it, they just don’t like it. The new AMC plan looks good if you have nice AMC theaters near you. I see maybe 8 to 10 movies a month in the theater all for $9.95. You can’t beat that but the company is sketchy and will soon go bankrupt or will raise prices but it’s been a great ride so far. 

MoviePass “Fallout” Leads To Death Talk

It looks like the death knell may be sounding for movie ticket subscription service MoviePass. As we know on Friday, tickets for “Mission: Impossible – Fallout” were unavailable due to apparent technical issues. It was then revealed that its parent company, Helios & Matheson, had scored a further $5 million in credit because MoviePass had effectively run out of money.

Cut to today and things have gone from bad to worse. Today, the only screenings currently showing up are at MoviePass’ e-ticketing partners – around 3% of theaters (or 211 of the 5803 theaters in the United States). Business Insider reports that employees have been told that the next two major studio releases – “Christopher Robin” and “The Meg” – will not be made available to its subscribers. Additionally “the practice of not offering tickets to major movies would continue for the foreseeable future.”

Many users have also reported problems cancelling the service. MoviePass hasn’t tweeted or provided any official updates yet as to what’s going on. Wall Street isn’t looking kindly on them either, stock of Helios & Matheson Analytics dropped a whopping 60% today, closing at 80 cents per share – the company having has lost more than 95% of its value in just its last five trading sessions – dropping from $22 a share last week.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/moviepass-fallout-leads-to-death-talk/

I don't think I've mentioned that I enrolled in the AMC A-List program, which is their version of Movie Pass. It costs $20/month, but for that fee, you can see three movies a week. And all movies, regardless if they're in 3-D or IMAX, or if they're really popular movies being screened at peak viewing times, which isn't necessarily true for Movie Pass. You have to commit to at least three months minimum, but the monthly fee is guaranteed to remain unchanged for a full year if you continue to stay enrolled.

In June alone, I have seen:

Ant-Man & the Wasp
Sorry to Bother You
Skyscraper
The Equalizer II
Hotel Transylvania 3

So, I've easily paid for my $20 this month.