Sign in to follow this  
jimmygnole

I produce a students films tv show

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm an Executive Producer (WBEC-TV) in South Florida.  One of the shows I help produce is a high school student films TV show with local youth film/documentary makers.  I would love to use this site for information when I work with students, and sounding board for their films

Any help this community could give to help develop these students would be great.  For instance, one girl just submitted this doc on the MSDouglas tragedy. We are in South Florida so the event really impacted students here. I was hoping some of you could give her some constructive criticism:

https://youtu.be/e-IfwxQZ0I4

Here's a link to our Youtube channel that has all of the films:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKd8anT4d-xhJjVAgRc42TA

• Like 1

I'm tv producer in South Florida and work with high school students creating documentaries/films and package it in a student films show called "Short Cuts. We use No Film School and its info in our discussions all the time. One girl just submitted this doc on the MSDouglas tragedy. We are in south Florida so the event really impacted students here. I was hoping some of you could give her some constructive criticism:

https://youtu.be/e-IfwxQZ0I4

I'm a big fan & subscriber of FILM SCHOOL SHORTS so was curious to see what even younger kids might have to offer. I also really like non fiction filmmaking (documentaries) so I gave it a look-thank you for inviting us. I bring some professional editing experience along with my personal opinion.....

The filmmaker did an excellent job compiling news reports, visual clips & voice overs of kids protesting school shootings. There isn't much need to convince viewers of the POV that kids (or anyone) being killed in school (or elsewhere) is horrific & needs to be stopped.
Why isn't it? What is the "opposing" side? Why is this "allowed" to happen?

I realize this video's focus is to show a "movement", but just who are they showing signs to and yelling at? Their parents? Their Principal? Their Mayor? The viewer? What is the reaction?
And most importantly, how are these kids going to change the situation? The sign that read "I'm 18 & will vote for pro gun control politicians" was the only indication I spotted.

Great job kids. Film is an excellent story telling medium. Keep it up!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input.  I will forward your advice to the filmmaker.  I agree showing all sides of the situation would have made the piece more compelling. 

What did everyone think of the shots and or the editing of the piece?

What did everyone think of the shots and or the editing of the piece?

There certainly is enough material out there to harvest examples from. Are those news clips PD or did the student need permission to use them?

The editing was good, the story flowed nicely and illustrated one viewpoint well. Computer's video editing software available these days is a great beginner's tool for students -really anyone- to learn the basics.

I will add however, I wasn't enamored with the opening "selfie" explanation. Unnecessary, work needs to stand on it's own.