Sign in to follow this  

Old Music / Old Records

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Old Movies Are Beautiful / So Are The Old Songs

Edited by jimmymac71
to education those who don't know

Posted (edited)

More Gayla Peevey. If you love old film, it makes sense to love the oldies music too, and I'm your guy.

Edited by jimmymac71
MR. 78!

16 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I am not sure how to move my stuff to a different category. By comparison to you, I'm very new. I love the old movies, and the old songs from the same period. Being sight impaired, I love TCM, but love the old 78s more. I may not be terribly out of line as people do drift within a thread. I do have one more Gayla Peevey to drop in, a live TV presentation of "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas." As for Jimmy Boyd, he recorded, "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." I'd rather not have my posts buried in a place where nobody notices.

I was simply letting you know that there are other similar threads with a lot of posts and frequent contributors who would enjoy your input. Music is generally considered off-topic, so those threads are kept in other sections. Two of the above links are in the "Your Favorites" section, and the last is in the "Off-Topics". 

The 78 era is a fabulous trove of musical gems. There are a few streaming media radio stations on line where one can listen continuously, no commercials; although the one I considered the best ("Venerable Radio") dropped off.

On Venerable you could hear scratchy backwoods blues from North Carolina, mournful old western ballads, sea shanties, Harlem renaissance music, British variety stage songs, American vaudeville, early Broadway show tunes; torch songs, crooners, jug bands, Gospel, everything. It was incredible.

The only station I'm currently aware of which comes at all close, is "Radio Dismuk" from Denmark. But its strictly 1930s "happy" music.