spence

Who eaxtly was Kyle Kersten & what happened to him?

8 posts in this topic

Believe I asked this  same question a couper of years back & am not certain though I never really got a direct answer though?

I alwas see as you fans do KYLE KERSTEN'S NAME ON TCM' FORUMS HEADING< exactly who was he and what did he do & also what happened to the man?

Was he an editor on tcm or a fellow tcm-ite in our forums?    please just let me & mayber others that don't know the answer   THANX

He was a message board regular for many years who passed away. He appeared as a guest presenter on TCM with Robert Osborne.

Here are other threads that discuss this:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/185464-who-was-kyle-kersten-by-the-way/

http://forums.tcm.com/forum/140-remembering-kyle-in-hollywood/

And yes, you've asked this question before. In fact, you started the first thread that I linked above.

• Thanks 1

Kyle was one of the nicest people.  He also attended many of the TCM Festivals. That's where I first met him. He was always willing to talk movies to anyone. There are others on here who knew him way better than I. But I am grateful for the few times I was in his company.

There was a time before the boards were updated when you clicked on the link above the message boards it took you to a page that had a photo of Kyle and RO taken when Kyle was a guest programmer.

I may be wrong but I remember Kyle as one of those folks who didn't have health insurance before the Obamacare era. He couldn't afford to get sick and he did.  Such a shame and a real tragedy for us.

His continued presence here on the TCM Boards is wholly warranted and greatly appreciated by those who knew him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Kyle was a great guy. He was one of the original posters when these message boards were launched back in the mid-2000s. 

He loved talking film and he loved TCM. 

He got sick in late 2012 and passed away almost five years ago. 

He was my friend and I still miss him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2018 at 1:01 AM, spence said:

Believe I asked this  same question a couper of years back & am not certain though I never really got a direct answer though?

I alwas see as you fans do KYLE KERSTEN'S NAME ON TCM' FORUMS HEADING< exactly who was he and what did he do & also what happened to the man?

Was he an editor on tcm or a fellow tcm-ite in our forums?    please just let me & mayber others that don't know the answer   THANX

I wish the webmaster put Robert Osborne up there as well, plenty of room.

I have repeatedly requested that the administrators remove Kyle Kerstsen's billboard from the site.  I am sure he made a lot of good contributions, but why select one person out of all those who have contributed to this forum and TCM?

It is also very annoying to have it pop up and block you from typing in password or accessing other information.

While I am complaining and (POing a lot of people), maybe it is time to remove Robert Osborne's thread as a pinned one at the beginning of General Discussions?  He made major contributions to TCM and old movies in general, but time to move on or let the thread move as others do.

9 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I have repeatedly requested that the administrators remove Kyle Kerstsen's billboard from the site.  I am sure he made a lot of good contributions, but why select one person out of all those who have contributed to this forum and TCM?

It is also very annoying to have it pop up and block you from typing in password or accessing other information.

While I am complaining and (POing a lot of people), maybe it is time to remove Robert Osborne's thread as a permanent one at the beginning of the threads?  He made major contributions to TCM and old movies in general, but time to move on.

The site has a compromise, by default one don't see Kyle Kersten's billboard unless you move your mouse over it. There does seem to be an annoying bug with his name popping through the Notification list.

Screen snapshot

1h4l6d.jpg

2 minutes ago, hamradio said:

The site has a compromise, by default one don't see Kyle Kerstsen's billboard unless you move your mouse over it. There does seem to be an annoying bug with his name popping through the Notification list.

Just signed out and in.  I can type in my screen name, but when I drop pointer down to enter password, the Kyle Kersten billboard pops up and prevents me from typing it in unless I move the pointer several spaces over to the left.  As you said it also pops through the notification list.

Which begs the question, where is it supposed to be since it is hidden most of the time?  Also, why is it hidden at all?  Almost as if creator intentionally designed it to be annoying.  Not much of a tribute to someone.