Tomilee

Watching Musicals I Haven't Seen Before

14 posts in this topic

As we go through this course, I'm trying to resist the urge to stick only with my favorite musicals and, instead, I'm making a point to watch a few "new" musicals. The experience of watching a new musical film is like treasure hunting- exciting when you discover a new stellar performance, or interesting scenery, or engaging story. But it's rough when the musical is somewhat disappointing. I've got to take into account that binge-watching musicals can be tough on the patience factor. And there's a lot to consider about the culture of the times that surrounds each movie.

Even my least favorite musicals have some golden treasures, perhaps just not enough of them. The Pirate was a rough movie for me. For example, the song "Niña", its ridiculous rhyming and it's generally degrading to women. And Judy Garland being given a Hispanic name that everyone constantly anglicizes "Man-u-ela", Gene Kelly's hair and mustache, give me a break! However, I loved the about three performances in the movie and Gene Kelly and Judy Garland are just so talented. But for me, it was one of the roughest to get through. 

On the other hand, I kind of liked Dianna Durban in Three Smart Girls. It was a silly (but fun) movie, and I'm not big fan of opera, but I was mesmerized by her and the sweet performances she offered. So that was a surprise for me. Liked Gold Diggers of 1933 as well.

Is anyone else making a point to watch something they haven't seen before? What have you discovered?

• Like 6

It's been easy for me to watch only things I hadn't seen before, since I'd seen so few musicals!  I'm loving really diving into the genre.  I've been watching as much as I can, loading up my DVR on Tuesdays and Thursdays and watching all week long.  A few things that have stuck out are Eleanor Powell in Born To Dance.  When the course is over I'll watch more of her films.  The "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody" scene in The Great Ziegfeld was a standout.  It's hard to imagine what went into filming that in the pre-CGI/ computer animation days!  And I just finished Hollywood Canteen and really loved the Joan McCraken number. 

• Like 5

I teeter between wanting to DVR and watch most of the musicals offered on TCM during this class, and realizing I need to limit myself so I can truly enjoy the each movie as a separate work of art. Week 3 - for me, the "new" movies will be Calamity Jane, Guys and Dolls, and A Star is Born

I missed The Great Zigfield. But did enjoy Eleanor Powell in Born to Dance.  There's a lot of Powells in musicals- right? Eleanor Powell, Dick Powell, Jane Powell. I'm saving Hollywood Canteen for later. Good to know it's enjoyable.

I am much more familiar with Depression Era & WWII Era musicals - so I am looking forward to these next couple of weeks since there are quite a few of them that I have never taken the time to sit down and watch from start to finish. Started with Gigi this evening, and would also love to try to get to all, or some, of: Calamity Jane, Annie Get Your Gun, Small Town Girl, Pal Joey, It's Always Fair Weather, and Silk Stockings

The movies in the first 2 weeks of class are new discoveries for me. I have enjoyed the class lectures to help me look for new details and watch with a different eye. This has helped the experience for me. The movies this week have a lot of my faves, but I am really looking forward to catching the ones I have not watched before - Pal Joey and A Star is Born. As much as I love Judy Garland, I have never seen A Star is Born.  This class is eye-opening and is adding to my list of faves. Really enjoying each movie, having a hard time getting them all in. 

• Like 1

I've been trying to watch as many musicals as possible, some I have never seen before, or others I haven't watched in a long time.  I watched Two Sisters in Boston (meh), Two Girls and a Sailor (couldn't wait for that film to be over), and That Midnight Kiss  (Lanza and Grayson have great voices) today.  Watching my favorite, Singin' in the Rain right now.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, mariah1217 said:

I've been trying to watch as many musicals as possible, some I have never seen before, or others I haven't watched in a long time.  I watched Two Sisters in Boston (meh), Two Girls and a Sailor (couldn't wait for that film to be over), and That Midnight Kiss  (Lanza and Grayson have great voices) today.  Watching my favorite, Singin' in the Rain right now.

Thanks for posting your reaction to some of these movies. It would be fun if we all could rate the musicals we've been watching this week. Let's hope for more fun discoveries as we continue through this class!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NeverGonnaDance said:

I am much more familiar with Depression Era & WWII Era musicals - so I am looking forward to these next couple of weeks since there are quite a few of them that I have never taken the time to sit down and watch from start to finish. Started with Gigi this evening, and would also love to try to get to all, or some, of: Calamity Jane, Annie Get Your Gun, Small Town Girl, Pal Joey, It's Always Fair Weather, and Silk Stockings

Wish I had DVRd Silk Stockings and more of those you mentioned. Please let me know what you think of them. I hope to watch Calamity Jane - but I'll be missing the others.

On 6/19/2018 at 7:56 PM, mariah1217 said:

As someone who loves Two Girls and a Sailor, I'm curious as to what you didn't like about it.  I agree with you on Two Sisters from Boston; I found it boring.

I don't have a DVR so I'm sad that there were a lot of films I hadn't seen before and couldn't watch because they were on when I was at work or outlandish hours on the East coast. I have On Demand, but they're hardly showing any of the musicals (whose doing is that, BTW - TCM or my cable system?)

I did very much enjoy Broadway Melody of 1929. Even though I've seen them all, I'd hoped there would have been some Rodgers and Hammerstein films on. 

10 hours ago, Suzanne1228 said:

As someone who loves Two Girls and a Sailor, I'm curious as to what you didn't like about it.  I agree with you on Two Sisters from Boston; I found it boring.

I've been trying to watch as many musicals as I can for this course, so maybe I wasn't in the right mood or frame of mind to watch Two Girls and a Sailor. I watched the two back-to-back and they kind of blended together.  I'll watch Two Girls by itself when it comes on TCM again.

• Like 1

I too have been watching as many of the musicals as I can. My DVR is getting really full though!

As far as ones that I could have done without, these would include Footlight Parade, The Love Parade (I can only take Maurice Chevalier in small doses), all of the Nelson Eddy/Jeanette MacDonald films (not an operetta lover), Take Me Out To The Ball Game was just boring, as well as Strike Up The Band. I have tried numerous times to watch The Band Wagon but just can't get into it and only last for about a half hour before I call it quits. I usually love Frank Sinatra movies but did not like the story line of Pal Joey. I have a hard time watching people being taken advantage of and for once, he played a character that had no heart what so ever!

I just finished watching Don't Knock The Twist and I would like my time back please! I can't believe that this film was made the same year that The Music Man and Gypsy were made!

Of the musicals from before 1960, I enjoyed them all. I had seen all but two: "Hallelujah" (1929) and "That Midnight Kiss" (1949). I still haven't seen "Hallelujah," due to a recording error. I dreaded watching "That Midnight Kiss," because I didn't think I liked Mario Lanza. Actually, I enjoyed the story and thought Lanza was good. Now, I have to reassess all of his movies. Of the musicals after 1960, I found them less enjoyable. I'd seen about three-quarters of the musicals from the 1960's (mostly the earlier ones). Of the eight musicals from the 1970's, I had only seen two. I find these later musicals tough going (I'm still working on them) - no surprises yet. The ones I hadn't seen are ones I could have seen as a child or teenager. Actually, by the 1970's, I was scouring the TV channels for classic movies and didn't see many new releases. In those primitive days before TCM, there was no recording and watching later. I had to set the alarm to get up in the middle of the night to catch showings on Channel 5's "Movies Until Dawn."     

Gold Diggers of 1933, I thought, was just a musical revue and never bothered with it before this class. While the story was pretty cheesy, the closing with the 7-minute My Forgotten Man production was a shining moment for me. Can't get the tune out of my head.