SteveQL

TCM via cable vs satellite providers

22 posts in this topic

Due to acquisition of Time Warner -- is apparently too early to determine if TCM will still be accessible via cable TV providers or mandated to only obtain by satellite provider.  

Only time will tell and I believe will be soon.  I don't want satellite and/or be confined to streaming.  Moreover, I read acquirer of Time Warner (thus TCM)  will drop SD (standard definition) content  in 2019.  Thus, my CRT SD only TV will be adversely affected. As for my HD TV there appears to be more SD than HD content however TCM offers both   However, that is via cable service.

Thank you for any input.

SteveQL

On 6/17/2018 at 3:09 PM, SteveQL said:

Due to acquisition of Time Warner -- is apparently too early to determine if TCM will still be accessible via cable TV providers or mandated to only obtain by satellite provider.  

Only time will tell and I believe will be soon.  I don't want satellite and/or be confined to streaming.  Moreover, I read acquirer of Time Warner (thus TCM)  will drop SD (standard definition) content  in 2019.  Thus, my CRT SD only TV will be adversely affected. As for my HD TV there appears to be more SD than HD content however TCM offers both   However, that is via cable service.

Thank you for any input.

SteveQL

It looks like DirecTV is dropping SD in April 2019. The satellites that do SD are failing is one reason I saw. There are rumors DirecTV wants to kill their satellite program completely and do it all on DirecTV Now. Many cord cutters are furious with the issues DirecTV Now is having. If your CRT TV still works and is in use, consider the Roku Express+, which outputs composite signal. You know, yellow, red, white. It also works with HD and HDMI and is inexpensive. I would start to worry when TV makers quit offering SD inputs. My Xfinity/Comcast X1 box still has an RF connector.

1 hour ago, jimmymac71 said:

It looks like DirecTV is dropping SD in April 2019. The satellites that do SD are failing is one reason I saw. There are rumors DirecTV wants to kill their satellite program completely and do it all on DirecTV Now. Many cord cutters are furious with the issues DirecTV Now is having. If your CRT TV still works and is in use, consider the Roku Express+, which outputs composite signal. You know, yellow, red, white. It also works with HD and HDMI and is inexpensive. I would start to worry when TV makers quit offering SD inputs. My Xfinity/Comcast X1 box still has an RF connector.

WRT Directv satellite service: So far all I've seen are some (out of context) quotes from the CEO giving a speech to tech investors at a meeting on new technology.  Also some tech-fanboi-columnist speculation, and more consumer speculation.  On another angle (which seems to still be under wraps), I have seen it mentioned elsewhere that there is a new satellite currently under construction.  To me it looks like they just want to cover as many different areas of the market as they can.  This includes bringing the "Directv Now" services up to par.  If anything, the fiber Uverse branding may eventually be rolled into Directv Now, though at this point that is little more than just a name change.

I predict that, as corporations so often do, they will take the path of least resistance and leave much of it as-is while adding some "new tech".  At the end of the day, it all comes down to making more money than they spend.

On 6/17/2018 at 6:09 PM, SteveQL said:

Thank you for any input.

SteveQL

AT&T is purchasing TW for its content, and the value of the content is in its licensing fees to providers.  So it would be stupid of them if they decided to cut off that income.  I don't know if those from TW will continue to play the two-hand Monty here, charging TCM and other groups under the umbrella of the same parent company as if it were some outside org, or if that will end here.

Also most SD is downconverted from HD channels.  If there are still some SD-only channels, those wouldn't be eliminated unless HD equivalent are first brought out.  If you only get HD channels, then your box should be able to downconvert to SD (if you need it to). 

No one here seems to be aware that Time Warner actually sold off the cable end of its business to Comcast at least two years ago, maybe three. I'm keenly aware of this since I was a Time Warner customer. The resulting corporate entity from this merger is called Spectrum. So, AT&T's purchase of the rest of Time Warner has zilch to do with what used to be its cable assets and, I assume, will have zero impact on whether Spectrum continues to carry TCM or not, since AT&T will have absolutely nothing to do with that. So far, Spectrum is still carrying TCM in my area.

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

No one here seems to be aware that Time Warner actually sold off the cable end of its business to Comcast at least two years ago, maybe three. I'm keenly aware of this since I was a Time Warner customer. The resulting corporate entity from this merger is called Spectrum. So, AT&T's purchase of the rest of Time Warner has zilch to do with what used to be its cable assets and, I assume, will have zero impact on whether Spectrum continues to carry TCM or not, since AT&T will have absolutely nothing to do with that. So far, Spectrum is still carrying TCM in my area.

Spectrum is Charter Cable, not Comcast, and they do own Time-Warner cable.

Yeah, sorry, I believe Charter actually owns both Comcast and Time-Warner now. Hard to keep track of all these mergers. But I believe my point that AT&T is not buying Time-Warner Cable is still valid.

4 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yeah, sorry, I believe Charter actually owns both Comcast and Time-Warner now. Hard to keep track of all these mergers. But I believe my point that AT&T is not buying Time-Warner Cable is still valid.

Charter doesn't own Comcast. No one owns Comcast. Comcast owns a bunch of other companies, though, such as NBC and Universal.

Charter owns Time-Warner and Bright House. They are the third largest pay-TV service, behind Comcast and AT&T/DirecTV.

Okay, well, I seem to be spewing out some bad information, which I always hate to do. Thanks all of you who are hipper on this stuff than me.

I will cling to the only point I really intended to make, however. I don't think AT&T's purchase of Time Warner includes what used to be known as Time Warner Cable, as that division had already been sold some time ago. I don't know if the name TWC is still being used in some parts of the country. Where I live, it's been called Spectrum for a couple of years now.

At bottom of TCM pages: (see below):

TM & © 2017 TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES, INC. A TIME WARNER COMPANY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

11 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Okay, well, I seem to be spewing out some bad information, which I always hate to do. Thanks all of you who are hipper on this stuff than me.

I will cling to the only point I really intended to make, however. I don't think AT&T's purchase of Time Warner includes what used to be known as Time Warner Cable, as that division had already been sold some time ago. I don't know if the name TWC is still being used in some parts of the country. Where I live, it's been called Spectrum for a couple of years now.

Yeah, Charter = Spectrum, much as Comcast = Xfinity. Their original monikers are so linked to customers' bad experiences in the past that they try and use alternate name misdirection to win back people's trust.

Time Warner Cable is owned by charter, and has been rebranded as Spectrum in most, if not all, markets now.

AT&T owns WarnerMedia, which is the cable channel conglomerate that controls HBO, TBS, the Cartoon Network, the CW, CNN, Warner Brothers film company, and DC Comics. TCM is run by the Turner Broadcasting System.

So, the chain-of-command seems to be: AT&T over WarnerMedia over Turner Broadcasting System over TCM.

I am interested in FilmStruck, perhaps instead of TCM. My cable bill went up $50. They may drop it to another teaser deal, or not. With FilmStruck I am not obligated beyond 30 days. I am not tired of TCM, just the game played with Xfinity/Comcast. TCM is in an extended tier.

I've read where some RVers are worried about the SD loss with DirecTV. My old CRT died, so I am flat screen HD now.

I live with my mother of 83 years, who will grumble if I drop in new equipment, or I'd be a cord cutter already.

So SteveQL, I still recommend getting a streaming device. Many services are free. TCM is on 5 services I know of. With Sling TV, it is an add-on. Then there is FilmStruck. You can go to their website and look around. Impressive.

I will attempt to haggle with Comcast in person. If they don't give me a lower price, I already have a backup plan.

On 6/17/2018 at 3:09 PM, SteveQL said:

Thank you for any input.

SteveQL

I am curious. What does the phrase "confined to streaming" mean ?

There's a whole "captive" audience for satellite service -- I'm one of them -- who don't have access to any cable TV service or to wired broadband Internet service sufficient for streaming.  Although I have no inside knowledge, I seriously doubt that AT&T will dump its DirecTV satellite service and lose all of those captive customers to DISH Network, the other main satellite video provider.

Although close to a major city, where I work every day, we live a semi-rural area where there is no cable service and no wired broadband service.  We get our video from one of the two major satellite services and our Internet service from a separate satellite company.  (We have two satellite dishes on our roof -- something I never would have expected when we bought the house 25 years ago.) 

Our satellite Internet service, while greatly superior to the old dial-up service that we previously relied on, is not consistently fast enough for reliable streaming, with even short videos interrupted constantly by buffering.  I once had to download some software when we bought a new computer, and it took all night -- no exaggeration.  One time (the only time), I purchased a live concert recording from one of my favorite musical acts, and again, the download literally took all night.

I wish we had the option of streaming, but it's just not in the cards right now.  One of the major wired Internet/cable/phone providers terminated its fiber line within sight of our house, but told us that they had no plans to extend it to our house or our many neighbors up the road.  So we're all stuck with satellite Internet service or, for some folks whose houses aren't blocked by hills, microwave Internet service.

It's great living out in the country.  But Internet service wasn't even a consideration when we bought our house in the early 90s, although we knew we were giving up cable TV when we moved there.  (It was like stepping back into the 60s -- we didn't have satellite TV available for the first few years we lived there, so we relied completely on a half dozen over-the-air broadcast stations.)  I wonder if we'd make the decision to move there today.

To sum up, satellite service has a fairly large captive audience right now.  So I don't see satellite service going away.

Thank you for your input.  My concern remains  will Comcast (cable service) drop TCM (Turner Classic Movies)?

A T & T /Time Warner (I think new name is  WarnerMedia) could cause this to transpire by jacking up TCM carriage costs to Comcast.  Thus Comcast would be forced to either drop TCM or hike carriage prices to subscribers. 

I hope not.

Thanks again for your reply. 

1 hour ago, SteveQL said:

Thank you for your input.  My concern remains  will Comcast (cable service) drop TCM (Turner Classic Movies)?

A T & T /Time Warner (I think new name is  WarnerMedia) could cause this to transpire by jacking up TCM carriage costs to Comcast.  Thus Comcast would be forced to either drop TCM or hike carriage prices to subscribers. 

I hope not.

Thanks again for your reply. 

Back in the old days, some cable companies didn't have TCM, while others had it in basic cable. Back before cable was digital, and you could hook the cable directly to the TV. Everything is different now. TCM will likely stick around, and it already costs more with Comcast. If TCM goes away, I don't need a TV. <grin>

In addition to almost daily mailings from A T & T pushing Direct TV (satellite) received this annoying e-mail today.  RE: AT&T companies share your information with each other. With our merger, WarnerMedia is now included. I presume this means sharing my TCM usage etc.

Hello, 

WarnerMedia (formerly Time Warner) has joined our family! The AT&T companies share your information with each other. With our merger, WarnerMedia is now included.

This will mean great deals, relevant offers and new ways for you to enjoy premium content from Turner, HBO and Warner Bros. Your privacy comes first, as always. Please read more at att.com/PrivacyUpdate.
Thanks for choosing us,
AT&T

RE: Thanks for choosing us,  my cel phone and land line service is A T & T.   That will soon change!

Fourth  day of TCM movies, after airing, not being available in ON DEMAND.  I observed majority not on On DEMAND are Warner Brothers films.  Thus,  I must either dedicate time to watch when initially broadcast, often at 3:00 AM, or forgo.   I called my cable provider CSR (in the Philippines)  who dd not understand my concern. When she finally began to grasp my complaint she tried to get me to upgrade to X1 box with DVR. 

Thus, I surrender but not to Direct TV and streaming but to no more TCM.

Thank you for input.  So I'd need one for my HD TV and another for my SD TV.  That should easily put my monthly cable bill over $300.00 .

https://www.lifewire.com/cost-of-dvr-types-1130733

I have DVDs and BluRays  of nearly all of my favorite movies. 

Too much of a hassle to no longer be able to watch On DEMAND TCM movies at my convenience.  I was able to watch ON DEMAND SD version on my  SD CTR TV (in another room) and HD version on HD TV when I chose to do so.

It  was a true joy to watch on demand moves until the loss I presume due to A T & T/Warner deal. 

Thanks again.

I doubt many others care.

Of interest "Black Book, The (1949) that aired at 3:30 am last Friday is now in ON DEMAND.  Studio is Eagle Lion  (which I believe succeeded poverty row PRC pictures).  I doubt A T & T Time Warner could care that TCM added to on demand after airing.  Not A Warner film!

But, no Foreign Correspondent (1940), Man Who Came to Dinner, The (1942), Graduate, The (1967), etc

'll start setting my alarm clock: 5:45 AM She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)