Sign in to follow this  
Buenz

Lecture Video #9

11 posts in this topic

In today's lecture, did they imply that Frederick Lowe was Alan J. Lerner's father-in-law?  Or did I misunderstand?  Because I find no evidence of that.

I went back to listen to that also. Lerner was married 7 times. None of them were Frederick Loewe's daughter. A very strange comment, but not the only mistake I've heard from her.

The Broadway production of On the Town happened during, not before, WWII, and the stage musical is in mood and action completely dominated by that fact -- something the film version completely abandons.

The comment in today's film clip says that Astaire is the only experienced dancer in the number, a few strange statement since Nanette Fabray had starred on Broadway in musicals, often working with renown choreographers like Agnes De Mille and Gower Champion.

• Like 2

I think she actually said "brother-in-law", but I can't find any evidence that Frederik Loewe was married at all, nor that any of Alan Lerner's wives was Loewe's sister. 

I had to replay the footage of Oscar Levant a few times to figure out how they managed to have him shake hands with himself. This was long before CGI, after all. It looks as if they had a split screen, with a stand-in just about Levant's size extending his arm just into the field of the camera to shake his hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BartG said:

The comment in today's film clip says that Astaire is the only experienced dancer in the number, a few strange statement since Nanette Fabray had starred on Broadway in musicals, often working with renown choreographers like Agnes De Mille and Gower Champion.

Actually, Astaire was referred to as, "the only truly gifted dancer in the group".  I have added the emphasis to the word "gifted".  Absolutely nothing wrong with disagreeing with Dr. Ament.  However, she should be quoted accurately.

• Like 1

I learned some things i hadn't known but as well will research the Lerner/Lowe connection. I too heard "gifted dancer" and cannot disagree with the comment though Fabray herself was a very good dancer though not truly gifted. 

My complaint with the video is the low quality of the  sound. I ended up bluetoothing it wirh my Echo (slight improvement) then next my Fugoo speaker but truthfully it was still at times difficult to hear. If I have one suggestion it is to either improve the recordings or for those involved to talk louder. I am not hard of hearing or going so and can't believe I am the only student having this issue. Other than that, the lecture was quite informative and helped me focus on what to look for when I view the film. Thank you.

• Like 5

Cynthia, I too have difficulty hearing the conversation on my PC.  So I take it to my tablet with my Bluetooth turned on, using my Beats headphones.  But to be honest, I watch everything with my headphones, including my TV (which comes with Bluetooth.)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CynthiaV said:

I learned some things i hadn't known but as well will research the Lerner/Lowe connection. I too heard "gifted dancer" and cannot disagree with the comment though Fabray herself was a very good dancer though not truly gifted. 

My complaint with the video is the low quality of the  sound. I ended up bluetoothing it wirh my Echo (slight improvement) then next my Fugoo speaker but truthfully it was still at times difficult to hear. If I have one suggestion it is to either improve the recordings or for those involved to talk louder. I am not hard of hearing or going so and can't believe I am the only student having this issue. Other than that, the lecture was quite informative and helped me focus on what to look for when I view the film. Thank you.

Do please post what you learn about the Lerner/Lowe connection because I didn't even hear a peep about it in the lecture today.

Today was the first time I had trouble hearing the conversation. Maybe Dr. Ament and Mr. Rydstrom are pulling a Lamont/Lockwood-move-into-talkies on us (just a joke!!!). I felt like they weren't always talking into their mikes.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Marianne said:

Do please post what you learn about the Lerner/Lowe connection because I didn't even hear a peep about it in the lecture today.

Today was the first time I had trouble hearing the conversation. Maybe Dr. Ament and Mr. Rydstrom are pulling a Lamont/Lockwood-move-into-talkies on us (just a joke!!!). I felt like they weren't always talking into their mikes.

I can find no evidence that Lerner and Lowe were related by marriage or blood. The story of their first meeting was set down in Lerner's autobiography, The Street Where I Live. He stated it was in 1942 at the Lambs Club when Lowe took a wrong turn on his way to the men's room and stumbled upon Lerner. Lowe introduced himself, acknowledged who Lerner was and asked him if he would like to write with him. Lerner agreed and their fortunate partnership ensued.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't tell for sure if she said father-in-law or brother-in-law but none of the google search results indicated that they were related in any way other than collaborators. 

On a side note, I had forgotten and was reminded that Lerner's brother was the founder of the Lerner's clothing stores. That was my go-to place when I was in high school. The clothes were affordable but fashionable and much better quality than what you could get at K-Mart (there was no Walmart in my hometown in the 70s) or "bargain basement" discount stores.

• Like 1

I can’t find any reference to Loewe being an in-law of Lerner’s. Loewe was married to Ernestine Zwerline from 1931-1957. And FWIW the Lerner Shops were founded in 1918 by Lerner’s uncle, not his brother.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MarkH said:

I can’t find any reference to Loewe being an in-law of Lerner’s. Loewe was married to Ernestine Zwerline from 1931-1957. And FWIW the Lerner Shops were founded in 1918 by Lerner’s uncle, not his brother.

Thank you, i stand corrected. 

• Thanks 1