Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

What will it take for Ricardo Montalban to finally be Star of the Month on TCM?

43 posts in this topic

Well! The answer is that it would just be starting TCM down a slippery slope! The phoniness of political correctness might start to show itself wearing thin at the edges!

Not a snowball's chance in the Ardennes in December

okay I am just mugging here...in earnest truth, Montalban is a perfect ingredient in 'Battleground'

and let's give credit where credit is due: pretty much single-handedly  (except for Nicholas Meyer's brilliance), he saved the Star Trek franchise. It was tanking after the Wise revival.

The guy has carte blanche(!) with me, 'Wrath of Khan' is the only ST movie I acknowledge as valid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

and let's give credit where credit is due: pretty much single-handedly  (except for Nicholas Meyer's brilliance), he saved the Star Trek franchise. It was tanking after the Wise revival.

Yes, I think a lot of people khan agree with that statement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Two Ricardo Montalban films are coming up later this month on TCM:

SAYONARA (1956) on the 21st of February

and

MYSTERY STREET (1950) on the 27th.

screen-shot-2019-02-12-at-2.14.21-pm.jpe

• Like 2

I think Montalban has a good chance at getting a day in SUTS, but I think he has too few films available for TCM to fill up an entire month. I just took a quick look at his imdb filmography, and it looks like his film work became pretty sporadic from the mid 1950s onward.  That's when he began to get into TV. The films that TCM could easily lay their hands on are the ones that he did for MGM from the 40s to the early 50s. Lots of those are musical comedies with a few outliers such as "Battleground" and "Mystery Street". It also looks like he did lots of foreign language films that may be hard to get rights to. I agree he was trail blazer - a Hispanic actor getting good lead roles in the 1940s and 1950s such as his excellent work as a detective in 1950's Mystery Street. It's one thing for Mahershala Ali to play an African American detective in Arkansas in 1980 who is taken seriously in a series that is filmed in 2019 (HBO's "True Detective"), it's quite another for Montalban to play a Hispanic detective so convincingly in such a well written role  in 1950 that is filmed in 1950.  Montalban's career at MGM is almost a commentary on the tug of war between Dore Schary's realistic/relevant approach to film making and L.B. Mayer wanting to continue to make the easy to digest confections that he had been making since Irving Thalberg's demise.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I think Montalban has a good chance at getting a day in SUTS, but I think he has too few films available for TCM to fill up an entire month. I just took a quick look at his imdb filmography, and it looks like his film work became pretty sporadic from the mid 1950s onward.  That's when he began to get into TV. The films that TCM could easily lay their hands on are the ones that he did for MGM from the 40s to the early 50s. Lots of those are musical comedies with a few outliers such as "Battleground" and "Mystery Street". It also looks like he did lots of foreign language films that may be hard to get rights to. I agree he was trail blazer - a Hispanic actor getting good lead roles in the 1940s and 1950s such as his excellent work as a detective in 1950's Mystery Street. It's one thing for Mahershala Ali to play an African American detective in Arkansas in 1980 who is taken seriously in a series that is filmed in 2019 (HBO's "True Detective"), it's quite another for Montalban to play a Hispanic detective so convincingly in such a well written role  in 1950 that is filmed in 1950.  Montalban's career at MGM is almost a commentary on the tug of war between Dore Schary's realistic/relevant approach to film making and L.B. Mayer wanting to continue to make the easy to digest confections that he had been making since Irving Thalberg's demise.

Interesting comment about Montalban's tenure at MGM in the 40s & 50s.

He did have a Summer Under the Stars tribute in 2017.

I don't think his television work should count against him when being considered for a Star of the Month retrospective. After all, Lucille Ball has been honored, and she's known more for her TV work.

Montalban continued to make movies, even after transitioning to TV. Films like STAR TREK II, THE NAKED GUN and SPY KIDS were big hits...iconic roles that indicated his on-going popularity with audiences and contributed to his longevity as a star.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting comment about Montalban's tenure at MGM in the 40s & 50s.

He did have a Summer Under the Stars tribute in 2017.

I don't think his television work should count against him when being considered for a Star of the Month retrospective. After all, Lucille Ball has been honored, and she's known more for her TV work.

Montalban continued to make movies, even after transitioning to TV. Films like STAR TREK II, THE NAKED GUN and SPY KIDS were big hits...iconic roles that indicated his on-going popularity with audiences and contributed to his longevity as a star.

I'm not saying TV work was a step down, I'm just saying TCM usually sticks with films. Star Trek II and the Naked Gun were made by Paramount, and Paramount would probably want some bucks to show them on TCM. I don't know who made Spy Kids.

8 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I'm not saying TV work was a step down, I'm just saying TCM usually sticks with films. Star Trek II and the Naked Gun were made by Paramount, and Paramount would probably want some bucks to show them on TCM. I don't know who made Spy Kids.

TCM has aired NAKED GUN before. Not sure about STAR TREK II (would have to check MovieCollector's page).

Sometimes TCM schedules a premiere when there's a Star of the Month tribute.

I do think there are enough of his films available to them.

tcm tasks me. I SHOULD be SOTM. I'll chase it around the Antares maelstrom and around perdition's flame before I give it up!

Image result for ricardo montalban khan

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

tcm tasks me. I SHOULD be SOTM. I'll chase it around the Antares maelstrom and around perdition's flame before I give it up!

Image result for ricardo montalban khan

Of course he had first played the character in a 1967 episode of the original Star Trek series.

screen-shot-2019-02-14-at-1.00.09-pm.jpgscreen-shot-2019-02-14-at-1.01.56-pm.png

• Like 1

Its the only Star Trek film I value or enjoy at all; and one of the very few films in the entire phalanx of Lucas/Spielberg insipred-flicks which I admire to an utmost degree.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 2:28 PM, TopBilled said:

I don't think TV work should count against Ricardo, either. Plenty of stars who are more known for their TV work, like Robert Stack and Lucille Ball, also had a substantial film career. (Like you said, Ball has been SOTM in the past. Not sure about Stack, though.)

TCM did a SOTM in the past of TV Stars Who Appeared in Movies. (I think it was in 2004, but my memory is a little hazy.) I wonder if Ricardo was part of that lineup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jinsinna13 said:

I don't think TV work should count against Ricardo, either. Plenty of stars who are more known for their TV work, like Robert Stack and Lucille Ball, also had a substantial film career. (Like you said, Ball has been SOTM in the past. Not sure about Stack, though.)

TCM did a SOTM in the past of TV Stars Who Appeared in Movies. (I think it was in 2004, but my memory is a little hazy.) I wonder if Ricardo was part of that lineup.

Good question. It was in June 2003, but I can't find any information about which films were included and which stars were honored. My guess is it was people from sitcoms, crime shows and westerns of the 50s and 60s, people like Jane Wyatt, Andy Griffith, Michael Landon, and Raymond Burr. I don't think they would have honored stars from shows of the 80s and that's when Ricardo did Fantasy Island and The Colbys.