Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

nipkowdisc's food niche

53 posts in this topic

yet another thread to chat about our chow. tonite for me a thick cheese & mustard on a bagel to be washed down with a can of tasty seagram's ginger ale.

:D

Image result for seagram's ginger ale can

Tonight i'm gonna have organically grown Quinoa & Brown Rice w/garlic...throw some chicken into the mix and i'll have a real yum yum supper that not only tastes Great,but is actually healthy!:)Throw in a tall glass of Organically grown Japanese Green Tea blended with Organically grown Moringa Tea which i grow in my yard and i'll be one happy camper.:D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JR33928 said:

Tonight i'm gonna have organically grown Quinoa & Brown Rice w/garlic...throw some chicken into the mix and i'll have a real yum yum supper that not only tastes Great,but is actually healthy!:)Throw in a tall glass of Organically grown Japanese Green Tea blended with Organically grown Moringa Tea which i grow in my yard and i'll be one happy camper.:D 

I remember when I was a kid growing up in Wisconsin and everything we ate was raised or grown on our farm. And we never had to use the word organic five times in a sentence to tell people we were eating off the land and eating healthy. Just saying. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

yet another thread to chat about our chow. tonite for me a thick cheese & mustard on a bagel to be washed down with a can of tasty seagram's ginger ale.

Image result for seagram's ginger ale can

What happened to your other thread about chow? I used to enjoy reading it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I remember when I was a kid growing up in Wisconsin and everything we ate was raised or grown on our farm. And we never had to use the word organic five times in a sentence to tell people we were eating off the land and eating healthy. Just saying. :) 

Back when you and i were kids we weren't being Almost forced to eat genetically corrupted frankenfoods.

So i specifically identify the food as organic to separate it from the kind of "food" almost everybody,and probably including you,eat on a daily basis...if you don't like me identifying the food as being organic then that's your problem....just sayin'.:P

• Thanks 1

Just now, JR33928 said:

Back when you and i were kids we weren't being Almost forced to eat genetically corrupted frankenfoods.

So i specifically identify the food as organic to separate it from the kind of "food" almost everybody,and probably including you,eat on a daily basis...if you don't like me identifying the food as being organic then that's your problem....just sayin'.:P

It's not my liking or disliking it. And I appreciate your clicking 'like' on my earlier comment. But your language felt reactionary to me. Artificial almost. With you defining yourself in opposition to those you feel are unhealthy.

Imagine if I went around and started telling people I breathe fresh purified and cleansed wholly organic air. It will begin to seem ludicrous. Actually it will seem snobbish like I've appropriated terms devised by a marketing department.

Plus I am specifically defining myself in opposition to those who smoke or pollute the air. So it carries with it a negativity and an elitism. It should be enough to say I prefer clean air and leave it at that. Or to say I eat wholesome food, without trying to make myself seem better or healthier than other people. Typically in my experience when people go on about organic foods or an organic lifestyle they are really admitting they spent years being unhealthy and now are trying to convince themselves and others they are on track with their diets.

Most of these people who eat organic food do not extend their life spans. Because first, they already have years of bad eating habits working against them; and second, they are dealing with genetics and other hereditary diseases they cannot overcome.

The whole organic thing is a way for grocers to use psychology to sell foods at a marked up price. People who live a humbler lifestyle in farmland America are just doing it all naturally and not having to posture about it. In fact, on a farm, you know by instinct what good food is because you are surrounded by it. On a farm it's boring and redundant to talk about your food being healthy. And you don't have time to discuss it, because there are more important things to do like milk the cows and get the next crop of hay in the barn.

I don't drink ginger ale anymore. When I was a kid I had a strange addiction to club

soda. I couldn't swill enough of it, but I got over that. Now my  beverage of choice

is Yoo-Hoo. I stopped by one of the local eating joints yesterday and got a BLT

with a slice of chocolate cake and a sweet tea. One place around here puts nice

layers of iceberg lettuce in their BLT, but this place usually has one semi-wilted

piece of lettuce. I like to remake sandwiches and improve them. Often BLTs have

under cooked bacon, so I put it in the microwave, And those seeds in the tomatoes.

Got to go. Even with the pathetic lettuce, still a pretty good sandwich. Eat on.

I ate some moldy quesadillas I found in a dead hobo's knapsack. I washed it down with a handful of ditch water. The mold on the quesadillas protects me from the waterborne pathogens. Gotta live healthy.

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, JR33928 said:

Jr-- All that sounds pretty good. But if I were you, I would check out some detailed information about  the quality of that chicken.

Just got back from Italy and Croatia \ Bosnia and I have to say the food was great.   We had mostly fish and shellfish (e.g. claims,  mussels, etc..) all from the Adriatic or Mediterranean seas.     

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Just got back from Italy and Croatia \ Bosnia and I have to say the food was great.   We had mostly fish and shellfish (e.g. claims,  mussels, etc..) all from the Adriatic or Mediterranean seas.     

I missed you, but I knew you were in Italy - - probably Sicily.

I'd love to hear more about that Sicilian cuisine.

12 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Jr-- All that sounds pretty good. But if I were you, I would check out some detailed information about  the quality of that chicken.

It's grain fed no antibiotics or hormones.I guess i should've said so but i didn't.

One of the reasons i included the term Organically grown for the other ingredients is my way of giving my endorsement for organic farmers and farming.If i had used NON-GMO ingredients i would have included that too.

Again it's a way to endorse non GMO farmers and farming,and thank God for those farmers,w/o them there'd be No alternatives to Monsanto's(now Beyer) genetically corrupted frankenfoods.

15 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

welcome back :D

Just now, JR33928 said:

It's grain fed no antibiotics or hormones.I guess i should've said so but i didn't.

One of the reasons i included the term Organically grown for the other ingredients is my way of giving my endorsement for organic farmers and farming.If i had used NON-GMO ingredients i would have included that too.

Again it's a way to endorse non GMO farmers and farming,and thank God for those farmers,w/o them there'd be No alternatives to Monsanto's(now Beyer) genetically corrupted frankenfoods.

I'm on a food budget, but I always try to get the very best chicken I can because salmonella is running rampant in the chicken industry.

For over 20 years I sought out chicken that was free of hormones and antibiotics.-- and the same can be said for eggs too.

I can't afford and I don't think I would want to buy everything organically - - but I try to make choices that are the most natural in each category.

I also left out irradation - - that is done I think to all the regular grocery store meats.

Jr.--You're absolutely right that we have to endorse and patronize organic farmers & ranchers in order for them to be there when we need them.

15 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'm on a food budget, but I always try to get the very best chicken I can because salmonella is running rampant in the chicken industry.

For over 20 years I sought out chicken that was free of hormones and antibiotics.-- and the same can be said for eggs too.

I can't afford and I don't think I would want to buy everything organically - - but I try to make choices that are the most natural in each category.

I also left out irradation - - that is done I think to all the regular grocery store meats.

Jr.--You're absolutely right that we have to endorse and patronize organic farmers & ranchers in order for them to be there when we need them.

I can't afford a lot of organically grown foods either,except when on sale,but i do the best i can.For today's meal the ingredients just came together that way.most meals are a mix of organically grown and non GMO foods.Non GMO foods are priced the same as GMO foods,but don't have the taint of genetic corruption about them.They're simply grown the old commercial way,with chemical fertilizers,pesticides and fungicides...just wash 'em good before eating.

Have you ever heard of Moringa trees??...they're native to the Himalayas in NW India...they're considered to be one of the worlds "super foods" cuz of their stupendous nutritional profile.Their leaves make an excellent tasting tea and are also used the same as some other vegetables...steamed,cooked or on a salad.In countries where meat is hard to find Moringa is used in place of meat because of its complete amino acid profile.It has all the necessary amino acids to be a satisfactory meat replacement.

I like to blend Moringa with Japanese Green Tea...oooh it 's soooo good!! :)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I missed you, but I knew you were in Italy - - probably Sicily.

I'd love to hear more about that Sicilian cuisine.

We didn't go to Sicily (this time),  but instead to northern Italy - Verona ('home' of Romero and Juliet) and  southern Italy - around Bari which is near the 'heal'.      Half the meals were cooked by my mother-in-law or friends of my wife's family and the others were at restaurants.     Bosnia had really interesting food.  We went to Mostar which has a large Muslim population.   Their food was like a mix of eastern European and Islamic that was very good as well as different.

As for Sicilian cuisine;  our favorite fish dishes were come from the region.   Sicily was invaded so often that their cuisine is a mix of many different cultures.     I highly recommend the small seaside town of Cefalu!  

PS:  My in-laws have a computer and access to the Internet,  but when I tried to log on to the TCM message board site,  I received an error message of 'too many re-directs'.   I wasn't able to get the site to work (say by removing cookies, which it appears my father-in-law has way too many of),  since Windows was in Italian!    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn't like that cheese & mustard on a bagel. so later I had a chocolate milkshake.

:)

23 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I didn't like that cheese & mustard on a bagel. so later I had a chocolate milkshake.

Tonight I'm opting for chili mac, except, it may be more work than I want to put in to it. LOL

Nip-- Do you often cook chili?

no, but I like it pureed with chopped hamburger and if the sauce is thin enough would be good with goldfish crackers in it.

I really pigged out today. the place where I live had a big outside barbecue with lotsa grub.
had a big ole fat juicy hamburger with mustard and snuck back upstairs with 3 more in my jacket pockets for tomorrow.

Image result for wimpy popeye

• Haha 3

On 6/19/2018 at 11:14 AM, TopBilled said:

What happened to your [nipkowdisc] other thread about chow? I used to enjoy reading it.

Which one?

We get a new one with each bite.

• Haha 1

tomorrow I start the day with a tasty bowl of Golden Grahams and later for dinner 2 hamburgers I saved from today.

On 6/22/2018 at 10:24 PM, NipkowDisc said:

tomorrow I start the day with a tasty bowl of Golden Grahams and later for dinner 2 hamburgers I saved from today.

Just read this;  what do you mean by 'saved from today'?;  Like you went to some place and purchased extra hamburgers so you could eat them later?     I find re-heated hamburgers to not be very enjoyable.  (but fresh off the grill ones are a delight).