Sign in to follow this  
AndPeggy

Gigi

16 posts in this topic

Sooooo, yeah. "Gigi" isn't airing at all on TCM in my neck of the woods (Toronto, Canada)¬†at the scheduled time (12:15 am ET).¬†There's a non-musical film with Leslie Caron in it showing instead. It was¬†one of the films the course recommended we watch, so,¬†what gives?! ūüė≥

It is on Filmstruck if you want to try that streaming service. I watched it last night. Can't explain the US and Canada discrepancy.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AndPeggy said:

Sooooo, yeah. "Gigi" isn't airing at all on TCM in my neck of the woods (Toronto, Canada)¬†at the scheduled time (12:15 am ET).¬†There's a non-musical film with Leslie Caron in it showing instead. It was¬†one of the films the course recommended we watch, so,¬†what gives?! ūüė≥

What???? I'd riot. ¬†I just finished watching it after DVRing it (although I own it on DVD). Love this movie. ¬†All of it although the lyrics to "Thank Heavens for Little Girls" are even a bit creepier post #MeToo. ¬†But, I still sang along with Maurice. ¬†I do love "I'm So Glad I'm Not Young Anymore," and "I Remember It Well." ¬†Hope you can access it somehow.¬†ūüėź

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MotherofZeus said:

What???? I'd riot. ¬†I just finished watching it after DVRing it (although I own it on DVD). Love this movie. ¬†All of it although the lyrics to "Thank Heavens for Little Girls" are even a bit creepier post #MeToo. ¬†But, I still sang along with Maurice. ¬†I do love "I'm So Glad I'm Not Young Anymore," and "I Remember It Well." ¬†Hope you can access it somehow.¬†ūüėź

Luckily I was able to hole up in a Starbucks and partake of their WiFi to watch it. I've seen it a whole bunch of times but wanted to refresh my memory about certain details. It's weird because they've bumped the movie from their schedule without notice before, like during "31 Days of Oscar".

• Like 1

I am finally going to get through this movie.  The first time I attempted to watch, I didn't like it; however after giving it another chance (I have 45 minutes left), I feel differently.  Maybe by the end of the film, I'll be a fan.  Who knows?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Kathie2 said:

I am finally going to get through this movie.  The first time I attempted to watch, I didn't like it; however after giving it another chance (I have 45 minutes left), I feel differently.  Maybe by the end of the film, I'll be a fan.  Who knows?  

It's one of my favourites, though I feel your pain; that's how I felt about "Guys and Dolls" ... and still do, after forcing myself to watch it this week. Still not a fan. ūüėĎūüėĎūüėĎ

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AndPeggy said:

It's one of my favourites, though I feel your pain; that's how I felt about "Guys and Dolls" ... and still do, after forcing myself to watch it this week. Still not a fan. ūüėĎūüėĎūüėĎ

38 minutes ago, Kathie2 said:

When I was a child I just never got the whole courtesan idea until reading the play by Colette (and growing up), so it wasn't one of my favorites until I was older.

22 minutes ago, AndPeggy said:

Always have had a problem with "Why don't I get into 'Guys and Dolls'?" Something always seems forced or artificial, or less than interesting to the the actors (especially Brando).

• Like 1

Okay - count me in as a fan of GiGi.  I remember as a child when the movie first came out, my mother and perhaps grandmother taking me to the Colony Theater in Cleveland for the first run, reserved seats showing.  I was not impressed (at 6??), and many decades later giving it a chance and not getting through it.  Now my opinion is that it is a most beautiful movie with a lovely story.  And I think I have a little crush on Gaston.  :)

Thank you to this class for getting me away from my preconceived notions, and giving these films a chance.  That includes, believe or not, The Bandwagon.  Never cared for it, but now I like it.  

• Like 2

On 6/20/2018 at 10:18 PM, Kathie2 said:

Okay - count me in as a fan of GiGi.  I remember as a child when the movie first came out, my mother and perhaps grandmother taking me to the Colony Theater in Cleveland for the first run, reserved seats showing.  I was not impressed (at 6??), and many decades later giving it a chance and not getting through it.  Now my opinion is that it is a most beautiful movie with a lovely story.  And I think I have a little crush on Gaston.  :)

Thank you to this class for getting me away from my preconceived notions, and giving these films a chance.  That includes, believe or not, The Bandwagon.  Never cared for it, but now I like it.  

Thrilled to have you join the fan club. It is a delicious confection of a movie. My granny introduced me to Gigi when I was 11.  I've been hooked ever since. I am a loyal Gigi-phile who adores every nuance of this movie.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2018 at 6:01 PM, AmyH said:

Always have had a problem with "Why don't I get into 'Guys and Dolls'?" Something always seems forced or artificial, or less than interesting to the the actors (especially Brando).

As I understand it, Sinatra thought he should play Skye Masterson and when he found himself in the role of Nathan Detroit he sulked around the set and tried to turn the character of Nathan into a romantic character.  It is too bad because Sinatra could have been the perfect comedic foil for Adelaide.  Sinatra was so upset about his casting in this film that for years he would not sing any of the songs from the show in this night club acts.

Add to that that they removed two of the most wonderful songs from the play ("A Bushel and a Peck" and "I've Never Been in Love Before").  The replacement for Bushel/Peck was nowhere near as good.  "A Woman in Love" is a good song, and it fits Brando's singing skills better than "I've Never Been in Love Before", but I still miss the original song.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with Brando's singing skills. Sinatra should have had the Masterson role. Definitely prefer his version of Luck be a Lady to Brando's. That was TORTURE. And I agree about A Bushel and a Peck. Very disappointed it wasn't in the movie.

Since this has gone "off topic," I can throw in my two cents and say that I actually enjoyed "Guys and Dolls." I didn't expect to and was surprised that it exceeded my relatively low expectations.  I've never been a fan of Brando but thought he was acceptable in this role. Yes, making it through his singing was challenging but survivable. I did think Sinatra was a bit subdued but thought it fit the character. Now I know he was upset about his part. It wasn't a great movie, but it was good. It had the Damon Runyon flavor and some great characters, like Nicely, Nicely.

Now, back to the topic: "Gigi" is a movie that I like more each time I see it. Leslie Caron was an acquired taste for me, but I've developed a deep appreciation for her abilities. She is very cute and endearing in this film.  And of course, Maurice is Maurice, and he needs to be nothing more. His songs are a highlight for me. The duet with Hermione Gingold, "I Remember It Well," is priceless, and modern PC BS not withstanding, "Thank Heavens for Little Girls" is a classic (my, how puritanical we have become). In this movie, Louis Jourdan is a cipher, but it does have Eva Gabor. It's always nice to see her outside of Hooterville.  FYI: Another showcase for Caron that I saw recently on TCM is "Fanny" (1961). It is not a musical, but it co-stars Maurice (along with Charles Boyer).

19 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

FYI: Another showcase for Caron that I saw recently on TCM is "Fanny" (1961). It is not a musical, but it co-stars Maurice (along with Charles Boyer).

Fanny was a Broadway musical, music/lyrics by Harold Rome, with Joshua Logan involvement.  The 1961 film was based on the musical  but: 

"When the 1954 Harold Rome Broadway musical, Fanny (888 performances), was about to be turned into a Hollywood movie, Joshua Logan, co-author of the book with S. N. Behrman and director of the show, received an unpleasant surprise.

As Logan, equally at home in movies, set out to direct, studio head Jack Warner informed him that movie musicals were out, and that Fanny would be transformed into a dramatic feature. Logan, who had cast a number of fine singing actors, was disconcerted; Rome unjustly anathemized him for the change. The best Logan could obtain was that the lovely score be turned into tuneful background music.

So the movie, with a screenplay by the talented Julius J. Epstein (among other things, co-author of the Casablanca script), came out in 1961, garnering some good reviews and five Oscar nominations (losing Best Picture to West Side Story), but not a huge success. Even the worthy film lexicographer Leslie Halliwell writes as follows: "Lumbering adaptation of three [Marcel] Pagnol films of the thirties (Marius, Fanny, César)…this is the dullest version, despite fine photography and a couple of good performances."

Harold Rome : "While not as acclaimed as other composer/lyricists such as Berlin, Porter or Sondheim [or Loesser], the talented and underestimated Harold Rome had a distinguished career during the golden age of Broadway."    He started doing satirical/topical revues and then moved to more standard book musicals.  One of his shows, Wish You Were Here, about a Catskills summer resort, was notable for having a swimming pool onstage.  Not quite Footlight Parade, but still pretty good.

Barbra Streisand had her Broadway debut in his show I Can Get it For You Wholesale (1962), in a minor role; her comedic song "Miss Marmelstein" bemoaned that no one called her by her first or second name.

3 hours ago, Pastiche said:

* Fanny was a Broadway musical, music/lyrics by Harold Rome, with Joshua Logan involvement.  The 1961 film was based on the musical  but: 

Marcel Pagnol is a famous French writer who wrote an original play called " Fanny ". Then Pagnol wrote a 1932 film based on his play.

The Harold Rome Musical was based on Marcel Pagnol's  play-- just as the 1961 film was based on the play.