starstricken

New tcm Website?

76 posts in this topic

Is there a programming list on the new app, like the former Schedule?  I don't want to seem 'old school', but actually watch on TV, and would like to know what will be playing when.  I have browsed the forum comments and have seen several with the same concern, but no response regarding it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I totally agree, there is so much I miss from the old format. It has been said before but will say it again, If a thing is not broken don't fix it. So disappointed with whoever is responsible for this mess-up.

• Like 4

Watch TCM...

If it's not all that hard, at least on PC, TCM should allow an option to view the old format of Film listings.
All those white mostly empty blocks are garish and ugly. (I like the new top banner on Watch TCM 'Home'.)
These kinds of webpages are often programmed with a choice of grid style or line item/text views.
>> It would be better to have White (or yellow) TEXT on the general webpage background color...
      ...than those hard on the eyes white boxes. UGH.
It's -not- necessary to make the PC webpages the same as the godawful mobile pages so you can save computer programming work in the guise of 'consistency'... it's just lazy, cheap computer programming.

The full 'Daily Schedule page is good... www.tcm.com/schedule/index.htm

>> TCM should restore the West/East coast schedules/links back on the Watch TCM pages, in their old format. 

- The old pages were artful... the new pages are devoid of art. Sad.

Bookmarks:

http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/schedule/west
http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/schedule/east

The "Explore More Movies" list of five films is a great mini-menu of recent-broadcast on-demand films.

Just my 2c.

image.thumb.png.4ddc903758538a3607f4d96bb54970b3.png

...............................................................................................................………………………........EXPLORE MORE MOVIES

image.png.fcb43ff9d8ce0c08e4b4c03cbd5269fd.png

• Thanks 2

New UGLY format:

image.thumb.png.ab2fc66537bd480939c3f6e4eadefae4.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I'd like to contact the person or persons responsible for ruining my viewing experience on TCM. I really liked the old schedule format. Someone has already mentioned the unnecesary clicks we have to go thru just to get to the movie or to find end of run date. There is so much to say about this mess I'm confusing myself, please please bring back our old format. New is not better

• Like 2

Additional new problem: I am unable to watch the East Coast feed.  That is, I try to select TCM East, but no response.  Selecting TCM West works, but I don't WANT the West Coast feed because people on Twitter contributing to things like #TCMParty and #NoirAlley are watching the East Coast feed.

This worked on the old web page version.  This worked when I initially opened the page and started watching tonight.  But it no longer works.  I purged my cache and am using Chrome.  I have just wasted half an hour troubleshooting this problem and have been unable to watch a movie with friends, and this is a social interaction was was looking forward to all week, so please understand when I ask: DID ANYBODY THINK TO TEST THIS GOD DAMN THING BEFORE IT WAS ROLLED OUT?  PLEASE ROLL BACK TO SOMETHING THAT ACTUALLY WORKED!

UPDATE: Aaaand it works now.  NOW THAT THE MOVIE WE WERE WATCHING TOGETHER IS OVER!  Thank you, TCM Web Staff....

image.thumb.png.8d04e58f8ac401c189defc71bc688002.png

• Haha 2

On 6/22/2018 at 5:51 AM, Stephan55 said:

Okay, I'll keep this post shorter and more to the point.
Joe, would you please explain for "our" benefit exactly what your "work-around" for this nonsense is?
I am sure that like myself, there are many of us who used to enjoy TCM ON-DEMAND that would love to discover a simple way to "now have no worries" and be able to "play the TCM content without the tracking."
I would love to provide TCM nothing but "random gibberish" for their latest efforts to again invasively screw with us, their bread and butter subscription customers!

If you fear that openly posting your "fix" in this thread will encourage someone at TCM to create a "work-around" for your "work-around" I really don't think that is likely as it has been quite obvious to me over the years that no one of any substance at TCM ever comes to these boards to read or consider the merit of any of "our" posted concerns.
However, you could offer to reveal your "solution" in a PM if that would make you feel more comfortable.
Please Joe, "We'd" like to know! ;):)

Hi Stephan, it's real simple. Have a clean install of the latest Firefox browser, then when you see in the URL bar on the left a little icon that looks like a shield, just click on that and say you allow tracking. it will then turn into a shield with a red line across it, meaning that tracking protection is off. That is apparently what makes the TCM gods happy. Then, what you do after that is go to the Firefox Add-On area and install a tracking protector program that hides your information in some way. Sorry I can't recall which one I found, it is on the laptop I use for TCM only, and it's not immediately accessible now. (Experiment with Ad-Block Plus and Do Not Track Me, but be prepared to disable them if step one isn't solving the problem.)  Part 2 of the workaround is about privacy. Use a dedicated device for TCM M.O.D. Set FF browser to dump tracking cookies/history each time you close the browser. Close and open the browser after each time you acquire a property to view.  BTW let/tell FF to save/remember your login (which verifies your cable subscription) so that it isn't dumped after each browsing session. I've been messing with computers for close to 35 years and this is frustrating me, so I cant' imagine how frustrating it is for casual users.. not knowing your skill level Stephan, sorry. Good Luck. Try saving *some* hair.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2018 at 4:35 AM, Stephan55 said:

(In addition to the current dysfunctionality) Like yourself, I feel that this is way too large and cluttered with a lot of wasted space. And much too time consuming to use.
I like to keep it simple so that I can see at a glance what has been added and an EXPIRATION DATE without unnecessary extra clicks!
As usual, this "new" design appears to be implemented by persons who never actually watch TCM ON-DEMAND!

I primarily subscribe to TCM for the ON-DEMAND feature. That is what I am paying for.
TCM has long treated their ON-DEMAND and streaming customers differently. "We" don't qualify for the "same" "Original Unedited and Uncut", standards they promote for their regular TV viewers.
They ever more frequently subject us to "truncated" (cut and shortened) movies and movies in previously edited "Window-Box" format (even when they have previously aired them in normal format ON-DEMAND).
We now go through varying degrees and lengths of monthly ON-DEMAND streaming issues with stuttering, freezing, audio out-of-synch, "buffering" (no matter how fast our downstream ISP is), etc, as well as the various sign-in and server issues. etc. etc. etc. ...
When a movie is listed as "ALSO AVAILABLE ON WATCH TCM" at the end of a regular TV broadcast, it may or may not really be.
TCM is constantly screwing with us (ON-DEMAND users) at an ever more frequent rate, dicking with some features that have long worked okay (making them next to useless) while adding others that lack "user friendly" function. ALL without warning or explanation.
TCM NEVER directly RESPONDs TO OUR QUERIES... No matter whether we attempt to email, call or snail-mail them.
They evidently keep the Moderators here ill-informed as well... End result is they are often useless as any sort of intermediary "help".
It is quite evident that TCM either doesn't monitor their ON-DEMAND output, or simply doesn't really care about "quality control" regarding the customer/user end.

I have been a TCM TV watcher since 1994. Grew to become an avid Fan and supporter/promoter of TCM.
I joined these boards in 2008, and became a frequent TCM ON-DEMAND customer over six years ago (2013).

When the TV Service Providers did away with my ability to use my own DVR properly and started charging me monthly rent for a separate receiver for each TV, in 2015, I became a steady ON-DEMAND user.
Over these years I have seen a few improvements in TCM streaming picture quality, but those have been countered with an ever growing frequency of TCM "snafu's" preventing me (many of "us") from consistently enjoying these movies that I ("we") pay to view.
I have often posted here about problems and temporary work-a rounds regarding these ON-DEMAND issues. But I have come to realize that it is like spitting against the wind, as TCM doesn't listen to any of us here (or likely anywhere). So I have tried to be patient and resisted posting any more "updates" regarding the latest rounds of more of the same TCM ON-DEMAND problems.
TCM appears to be more interested in marketing their "Back-lot" and "Wine" Clubs than they are in providing us (ON-DEMAND customers) any tangible service. 
I still love the movies that TCM shows, but my extra tier TCM subscription fee should be all that I have to pay to receive and view them.
I am FED UP with all the 3rd party telemetry spyware, which shows what TCM really thinks of us, and TCM has turned this once avid fan into someone who is no longer.

There are limits to patience and I am reaching my limit.
I have just paid for another month of TCM with my TV Service Provider. I will give TCM until my next months bill to get this latest crap straightened out. If not by then, or if there is no suitable work-around to allow me to watch TCM movies ON-DEMAND and still preserve some modicum of my privacy while doing so, then I will cancel my TV subscription and just keep my ISP for other services that do work, without requiring me to surrender my PC to 3rd party spyware.

I am ever thankful for the thousands of videos that I have recorded over the years.
If TCM forces me to "quit" them, I will miss no longer being a current part of TCM. But my video library will be a comfort to me.

I agree whole-heartedly with everything you said here!
I stopped using MS Explorer years ago, and refuse to install MS Edge or anything MS past Win 7 (esp. Win 10, due to their persistent telemetry). Don't use Google Chrome for the same persistent "Spyware" reasoning.
Have been a Firefox user/supporter for a number of years now, and will continue to do so, so long as they put their users best interests first.

Joe, for All of our benefit, could you please thoroughly explain in a post your "work-around for this in FF and now have no worries, and I can play the content without the tracking; what they get is random gibberish". 

Since this began yesterday morning (6/20/2018), I have simply given-up on TCM...
I use Win 7 pro, and the Firefox browser.
Thanks.

Sorry it took so long to get back, I've been out tryin' to make a buck, & take care of family members under my watch. Hope you got lucky and fixed the bug ( that no-one should have had to do, BTW. )

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 2:38 AM, joe paluka said:

Hi Stephan, it's real simple. Have a clean install of the latest Firefox browser, then when you see in the URL bar on the left a little icon that looks like a shield, just click on that and say you allow tracking. it will then turn into a shield with a red line across it, meaning that tracking protection is off. That is apparently what makes the TCM gods happy. Then, what you do after that is go to the Firefox Add-On area and install a tracking protector program that hides your information in some way. Sorry I can't recall which one I found, it is on the laptop I use for TCM only, and it's not immediately accessible now. (Experiment with Ad-Block Plus and Do Not Track Me, but be prepared to disable them if step one isn't solving the problem.)  Part 2 of the workaround is about privacy. Use a dedicated device for TCM M.O.D. Set FF browser to dump tracking cookies/history each time you close the browser. Close and open the browser after each time you acquire a property to view.  BTW let/tell FF to save/remember your login (which verifies your cable subscription) so that it isn't dumped after each browsing session. I've been messing with computers for close to 35 years and this is frustrating me, so I cant' imagine how frustrating it is for casual users.. not knowing your skill level Stephan, sorry. Good Luck. Try saving *some* hair.

Thanks Joe, for getting back to us regarding your "work-around"...

I am no "expert" by any means (too much to know, and always something "new" to learn), but neither am I a total neophyte at computers.
Our individual level of knowledge and skill-sets is always relative. We may know a little more than some, and much less others.

I was first "forced" to acquaint myself with computers during government service in the mid-1980's. I resisted the technology in my personal life for a number of years, but then found more and more of my civilian work also required some familiarity and use of computers, so I actually took a course in the early 90s to get better acquainted with the technology.
For me it began with my discovery that a PC word processor was far superior to typewriters when turning out carefully edited professional reports and spreadsheets, etc. I was later introduced to a couple of highly addictive strategy "games" and eventually discovered that the overall seductive ease of computer technology gradually had me "hooked."
I am not a computer programmer, though I have been associated with a few that are.
But I am inquisitive enough to take the damn things apart, put them back together and build them.

Born in the early post WW2 atomic age (still a "mechanical" age that in the U.S. was blessed and rapidly fusing with an abundance of relatively cheap and accessible electricity, along with the exponentially growing potential for an abundance of radioactive fall-out) it amazes me to have witnessed how quickly computers and digitized electronics have infiltrated every aspect of our "modern" way of life.
Computer technology can be "Great" when it works as it should, but it is extremely friable, and can be out-right dangerous to become too dependent upon. Especially without plentiful redundant mechanical back-ups.
I won't get into all that at length as it can be a pretty scary subject for the uninitiated (or un and ill-informed). But suffice to say that we are all (save a handful of non-dependent "off-grid" societies) on due course for a catastrophic disaster of pandemic proportions, sooner or later, with our ever more total dependence on non-hardened (ever more computerized) electronics.

Regarding your "work-around"... Those of us that are currently able to access and watch any TCM streaming or ON-DEMAND "product" surely realize that we MUST NOW also DISABLE any NO TRACKING setting in our browsers.
Similar thing that happened a few years ago when TCM modified the "older" (more user "friendly") website, Requiring users to set their PRIVACY to ACCEPT ALL 3rd PARTY COOKIES... in order to stream or watch one of their ON-DEMAND movies (I posted extensively about it at the time).
That is when I began the personal routine of ALLOWING ALL 3rd Party Cookies, just long enough to "sign-in" with TCM and my TV SERVICE PROVIDER and allow the movie to load. Then click Pause, and go back into my browser and REVERSE my PRIVACY SETTINGS. I even cleared the cache at that time, and afterward would allow the movie to Play, generally with no ill consequences. 
I ALWAYS use Firefox in Privacy Mode, and have Always set it to ACCEPT COOKIES AND SITE DATA FROM WEBSITES only while I am currently visiting a site, AND ONLY KEEP THOSE (3rd Party) COOKIES & STORE THAT SITE DATA UNTIL I CLOSE FIREFOX.
With unsecured and suspicious sites (Like TCM) that love to inject all manor of cookies ("persistent" and otherwise), I also learned to habitually CLOSE FIREFOX AFTER EACH Limited SESSION, and THEN REOPEN a fresh FF in PRIVACY MODE before beginning another session (making sure to routinely clear the site cookie and data cache, each time, and during as well).
That is the time consuming ritual that I have grown to accustom myself whenever I wish to watch anything from TCM and limit their ability to spy on me. 
Some may consider my routine as unnecessary "overkill," but I have learned from personal experience and others that it saves a lot of unnecessay heartache to be as careful as one can be.
I began doing the same thing with this latest USER TRACKING requirement of theirs, as well.
I set the TRACKING PROTECTION to NEVER only when signing in and beginning a movie. THEN pause it, while I REVERSE the TRACKING PROTECTION SETTING TO  ALWAYS. I then CLEAR the CACHE and watch the movie!
Of course I Must reload a fresh FF, and "Sign-in" Again (repeating the entire cumbersome process to watch each movie from TCM), BUT that is the additional labor price that I am paying to hopefully circumvent TCMs persistent efforts to SPY and TRACK me ("us") for the benefit of their marketing and 3rd party vendors.  
ANYONE who visits TCM should be aware that TCM is NOT A SECURE WEBSITE, and allowing them to have their way with us opens our PCs (and other devices) to infection and potential 3rd Party disaster. We are vulnerable enough when going ON-LINE and TCM wishes to make us ever more vulnerable.

Long ago, I used to really enjoy the "convenience" of keeping my browsing history readily available. However, the dangers of that practice far outweigh any convenience.
I have learned to not retain my browsing history after each on-line session, and keep all of my relevant and potentially useful links stored in text files in a separate folder that I can add-to, and refer back to, whenever necessary.
More cumbersome for sure, but safer than leaving it so readily accessible to any 3rd Party that happens to get on-board my system.
Likewise, I refuse to allow any browser to "store" my log-in info (and passwords) to any website beyond a session. So I also have separate text files for those accounts, and I have learned to re-enter them whenever any "sign-in" process is required.

Regarding additional Apps and TCM...
I have learned over the years to keep it as simple as possible with TCM. This has been especially useful when trying to troubleshoot the numerous TCM "problems" that most often have been determined the repetitive result of TCM actions or negligence.
During a session I only have the the minimum requirements of the latest browser version (FF), and required Flashplayer (Adobe), and NO other Apps enabled to potentially have to rule-out as an additional conflict.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that the best (most secure) way to use computer technology (esp. these days) is to have a separate dedicated PC (or device) for practically everything! (In addition to storing data on separate (removable) external hard drives)...
It would be great to have separate Work PCs... Play PCs... older PCs (that are NOT used ON-LINE) to use that older but still useful and expensive software that may not work with the latest OS. And separate PCs dedicated to such insidiously vulnerable sites like TCM.
However having so many dedicated electronic devices may not be within everyone's budget (or space constraints), and certainly isn't practical when traveling relatively light. So one must learn to develop and practice the SAFEST On-Line routines as possible (or be willing to suffer the consequences).

There are add-on programs that can pretty effectively reroute and conceal ones location, IP address, and personal id (hackers and counter hackers have been using them for years)...
Various VPN (virtual private network) programs offer features that can help conceal your online location, IP, and identity.
Though not a VPN, Adblock has a pretty good reputation, is open-source and has been around for well over a decade.
DoNotTrackMe is another...
None of these are 100% fool-proof, and some inject their own problems and must be tweaked to work effectively in various situations. But they do add layers of "protection" that can further insulate one from becoming inadvertently infected.
Sort of like double gloving, or using multiple condoms, but always at a "trade-off" (i.e. "sensitivity" vs "safety").

Of course The absolute "safest" way to use the technology is to practice "on-line abstinence" and remain a PC "virgin" (never allowing your computer to connect with the internet.)
In the old days when we thought we "owned" (or at least had greater control of) the software (and hardware) we purchased, that was still tough enough to accomplish, as practically everything had to be updated or "patched" at sometime or another. But that software could then be had by an isolated disk and could be screened for safety before install.
Not so today, when we "own" or control practically nothing, and practically everything requires some sort of on-line registry to even operate.
Today whenever we go on-line we are swimming in a "virtual pool" full of contaminated PUPs, viruses, Data Hostage/Ransom-ware, Malware, "Cookies," and "Spyware" telemetry programs, ranging from annoyingly benign to severely malicious. But all intent to install themselves within our systems and monitor and "steal" our information, relaying it back to some entity who wishes to profit by whatever they can gain from us. 
A few (very, very few), are actually there for our benefit, to help protect us from the others. But with the advent of "mandatory" uncontrolled, unrestricted "automatic" updates (i.e. MS Win 10, etc.) some of those which say they are "trustworthy" can inadvertently (or even deliberately) do us harm, and by their very use require us to relinquish any sovereign control that we "thought" we had over our PC's and devices when we first purchased them.

Anyway, Thanks Joe so much for your reply (and sorry about the lengthy rant).

On 6/24/2018 at 2:38 AM, joe paluka said:

Sorry it took so long to get back, I've been out tryin' to make a buck, & take care of family members under my watch. Hope you got lucky and fixed the bug ( that no-one should have had to do, BTW. )

Hey that's okay, been there, done (and still doing) that! ;)

You know that we still live in a relatively "great" time and place when we have the luxury to spend so much time complaining and ranting about the deficits of our relatively frivolous past-time endeavors.
I am reminded of places I have been where less fortunate locals spent most of their daily activities just trying to keep body and soul together.

I suppose that it is good to count our "blessings" while we still have them. Things can always get so much worse!

• Like 1

But it still really was odd! I had to disable the 'tracking blocker' for the "new" site, while the old site played the movies pretty much issue-free. With me, they will only "track" me playing one movie at a time; I don't know what they'll gain that they didn't already know about me? The hassle and grievousness was put on me! How did that provide them with any gain? (Rhetorical.) I will credit them for fixing streaming/buffering issues that plagued the service when I used Roku to access TCM. I now use a spare, somewhat high-end laptop with a superb dual-fan cooling pad and haven't seen the buffer wheel pause the picture is over a month. Good luck to everyone!

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 1:38 PM, joe paluka said:

But it still really was odd! I had to disable the 'tracking blocker' for the "new" site, while tho old site played the movies pretty much issue-free. With me, they will only "track" me playing one movie at a time, I don't know what they'll gain that they didn't already know about me? The hassle and grievousness was put on me! How did that provide them with any gain? (Rhetorical.) I will credit them for fixing streaming/buffering issues that plagued the service when I used Roku to access TCM. I now use a spare, somewhat high-end laptop with a superb dual-fan cooling pad and haven't seen the buffer wheel pause the picture is over a month. Good luck to everyone!

Agreed, with persons such as you and I, TCM (and other such invasive sites) hopefully gain very little data from us.
But "we" are in the "odd-ball" minority which go the extra lengths necessary to continue protecting ourselves from such intrusive eyes. Most persons, and TCM (and others who do this) literally bank on the vast majority of consumers who either don't care, or are unaware, or don't know how, or are unwilling to make the effort to defend themselves against this undesired intrusion.

Data mining is insidiously universal now. And every company that can use the internet for getting tangible data about their user and potential user (customer) base desires to market that data to encourage investors or sell to other entities and turn an ever greater profit. 
Carefully read any "Privacy" clause when you access any site on-line and you will see that they almost universally see us as a commodity, and by virtue of simply accessing practically any site, or using a program, one has virtually "agreed" to allow them (and their 3rd Party Vendors) free access to acquire, use and sell, any information they can gain about you.
Sadly, TCM has shown themselves to be no different. :(

Those TCM "buffering" (and numerous other) issues generally come and go at different times practically monthly (esp. since the second half of last year, 2017).
Unless this website revision also heralds some drastic changes with the way TCM manages (or ill-manages) their downstream servers, such issues (and others) will likely return.
Aside from the specific problems brought on by the recent "surprise" website revision, we presently appear to be experiencing a relatively "good" period of "problem free" streaming. But we recently experienced another Bad spell not that long ago (before this crappy revision). 
It's Still way too soon to tell, and I remain wary as generally these are the "calm" periods between TCM "storms."   :unsure:

I too, use a high-end laptop for portable TCM streaming, and a Cooler-Master Aluminum laptop pad with 3-fans to help keep all of those crammed electronics down to an acceptable temp range.

Please post back if you have any new or recurring issues regarding TCM. Your input is invaluable!
Thanks, and thanks again. :)

Well, the site is now worse than ever. Cannot pause without restarting , rewind, or fast forward a streaming film. I thought it would be impossible to make the situation worse than it has been for the past 2 years. Nope. it's pretty much unusable now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

New movie player is finicky(sometimes restarts or chugs along as it loads or even sends you back to the main thumbnail page if you reload the movie), more of a hassle to sort through expiry dates(this needs to be listed on the main thumbnail page as it was before), more windows have to be opened as right clicking and opening with mouse doesn't work, at least on Chrome, and the new look is a plain eyesore. 

All in all, it's somewhat of a hassle, an unneeded one as there was nothing wrong with the old look or functionality. 

• Like 1

I miss the schedule - I prefer not to watch movies on my smart phone on a regular basis, so I *really* need the schedule - I haven't updated my iPad app yet - I'd hate to lose the schedule there (and the synopsis, which disappeared from the iPhone app a few years ago).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/22/2018 at 6:19 PM, scsu1975 said:

Place your cursor on the bottom of the screen so you can the horizontal line showing the time (see image below):

eYWgKB9.png

Then drag the green button left (to rewind a bit) or right (to forward a bit).

I don’t have the green button at the end of the now annoying green line. When I click on it takes me back to the beginning. I’m using Firefox and really miffed at this. 

• Sad 1

TCM has just updated both its website and its app.  I haven’t tried using the website yet, but the more I try using the app, the less I like it.  The schedule is totally gone — something the developers admit was done on purpose.  (They claim that users were asking that the schedule be eliminated.  Sure, and I’m Bette Davis.)  The Watch Live option is still there, but we can only see the title of, and a pic from, the current and next films — no information about them at all.  If it’s a movie with which we’re unfamiliar, how are we supposed to decide whether we want to watch or not?

Reviews in the Apple App Store are overwhelmingly negative.  To be fair, some of those reviews are from people who haven’t figured out how to get to the individual information about On Demand films (a problem that should give you an idea of how user-friendly the revamped app is, or rather isn’t).  But other reviewers are complaining about the elimination of the schedule, and about other changes.  If you’re also unhappy about the revamp, I urge you to go to your respective App Stores and post your reviews as well.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Languorous Lass said:

The schedule is totally gone — something the developers admit was done on purpose.  (They claim that users were asking that the schedule be eliminated.  Sure, and I’m Bette Davis.)

What is the source of this information? :huh:
On these boards we receive no direct information or "feedback" from TCM about anything that TCM is "planning to do" or "has done"... (or something that they "should have done" but neglected to do)... Nothing from TCM at all... regarding anything... Ever!

Reviews in the Apple App Store are overwhelmingly negative.  To be fair, some of those reviews are from people who haven’t figured out how to get to the individual information about On Demand films (a problem that should give you an idea of how user-friendly the revamped app is, or rather isn’t).  But other reviewers are complaining about the elimination of the schedule, and about other changes. 

So "this" appears to be another overwhelming TCM "success" for WATCH TCM streaming viewers everywhere, regardless whether they use a PC or some other portable device... :angry:

If you’re also unhappy about the revamp, I urge you to go to your respective App Stores and post your reviews as well.

Does TCM have a record of actually listening and responding to users of their On-Line "App" posted some place elsewhere?  :unsure:

If so, that is astounding news to me.
I once read through every thread and post regarding TCM problem issues and concerns on this particular forum, and I can't recall a single one where a poster reported that someone from TCM (ill/uninformed moderators aside) actually and directly responded to any posters post regarding any concern... None at all! :(

Good luck at getting TCM to roll-back anything that's crapola to something that was once reasonably functional and more user friendly.
In my 10 plus years on these boards I've never seen it happen.
What they sometimes do do, is tweak and twerk with whatever flopola they have foisted upon us for awhile, before they finally get around to another "great" revision, or revamp, or whatever....
They don't listen to any of our concerns or suggestions... They have never just "fixed" the relatively minor issues to make something already quite functional actually better. No, but periodically they do seem to get a bug up their butt to perform a major overhaul or ill informed, poorly planned revision on something that previously was not broken!

Forget about ever soliciting a user (or even an employee) "suggestion box."
It's been my experience that it's never a good idea until some executive at the "top" finally "thinks" of something that they decide is a "great" idea for everyone, and then attempt to steam roll it through.

Anybody ever heard or read about the "Peter Principle?"
We've all seen it in action (or the end result) many, many times (in numerous civilian, military, & government related scenarios) including apparently here.

15 hours ago, Languorous Lass said:

The schedule is totally gone — something the developers admit was done on purpose.  (They claim that users were asking that the schedule be eliminated.  Sure, and I’m Bette Davis.)  The Watch Live option is still there, but we can only see the title of, and a pic from, the current and next films — no information about them at all.  If it’s a movie with which we’re unfamiliar, how are we supposed to decide whether we want to watch or not?

Although streaming on a device is a nice option for some - I just want to see what's on for the week or month. I totally do not understand removing the schedule. Bad Bad choice...... Thanks for posting "Bette Davis" :0 )

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iceiceblondie said:

Any ideas if I can't get the movies to load even with tracking on? I have Chrome. Also tried clearing history and rebooting.

This latest "revision" requires viewers to have ALL tracking settings OFF.
TCM is trying to make TRACKING all their Viewers Mandatory (They want to know where we are, what we're are doing, what sites we visit, what we look at, yada, yada, yada.
It's an unscrupulous data mining, marketing thing, and it makes everyone ever more vulnerable to all those third party vendor cookies (that range from just annoying to out-right malicious). Because about 2-3 years ago TCM made it mandatory for viewers to ALLOW ALL 3rd Party Cookies on their PCs and other devices. And If that wasn't bad enough, they just compounded the issue with this Tracking revision!
TCM is a Very, very unsafe, unsecured site. We all Visit and Watch movies here at our peril.
There are some posts in this thread which have pretty well explained how to watch a TCM movie On-Line in a "safer" way. But if Chrome is your browser then you are already subject to Googles persistent telemetry spyware, anyway. And if your OS is Win 10 then you have no real control over any updates because you have granted MS "authority" over your system with their telemetry spyware, and they monitor everything in it for "their" use, and will automatically add whatever they deem best, and remove or delete anything that they deem conflicts with their priority software (and they do this without informing the PC "owner" of anything they do or have done... sounds familiar doesn't it?)
Right now the least invasive browser to use is Firefox.
If you make it your default and clear out all those nasty cookies you've no doubt already got on-board (Malware bytes has a very good "free" version of their Anti-Malware for "cleaning house"), and then develop a routine of switching your PRIVACY & SECURITY settings back and forth when when streaming anything from TCM you should be able to watch a movie with minimal TCM intrusion.  

7 hours ago, LynnBlake said:

Although streaming on a device is a nice option for some - I just want to see what's on for the week or month.

Streaming a movie ON-DEMAND is a less expensive alternative than having to pay rent to a TV Provider for a separate receiver with DVR for each TV in the house.
And it's pretty simple to relay the movie to a larger screen TV.
Plus it is convenient when traveling about, and is much more suitable to the user (viewers) schedule, rather than the provider. Granted it is not for everyone, but it is a nice option to have, esp. these days. 

See if these links work for you.

http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/schedule/west
http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/schedule/east

Just change the dates on the following to whatever you want to see that might be coming up.
Be aware that any TCM schedule beyond the current week is subject to potential change.

CST = Central Standard Time, you can change that to whatever your time zone is (EST, CST, MST, PST).
Always use the Year, month, day format. For the whole month schedule always enter the first day of the month.

Daily Full
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=CST&sdate=2018-7-01

Weekly
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=cst&sdate=2018-7-01

Monthly
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2018-08-01

If the links work for you, copy and save them someplace so you can refer back to them whenever you want.

• Thanks 1