starstricken

New tcm Website?

74 posts in this topic

Bring back the old TCM schedule.  I don’t watch films on my iphone but use the App to look for and schedule alerts for films.  You took that away from us. I use TV Guide now, but preferred TCM.  Your unwanted change has made you irrelevant now.  But I see I am not alone in my thoughts about your change.   I can go to the TCM schedule on my phone using a web browser but you don’t have a mobile formatted page so it’s unusable from an iPhone.  TV Guide has a mobile formatted product that’s superior on phones.  

Fire the person who deleted the schedules.   You should have run a test site for public feedback before a wholesale change. 

So what’s the verdict.  Are you going to bring back the schedule or ignore us?

• Like 3

I couldn’t agree more!! I like the old site! I use to look at all the upcoming movies, mostly with Robert Mitchum in them, and then set them to my watch list. This new site sucks. I hope they fix it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

This latest "revision" requires viewers to have ALL tracking settings OFF.

Right, this is why I said I have tracking on, as in settings to block it are turned off. So my settings to block tracking are off. I don't know. I'm pretty computer savvy and it looks like I have all of my settings correct. Pretty frustrating as I've been trying to watch the musicals!

• Confused 1

Thank you @ Stephan55! LMHO as I just saw at the top of this page is the schedule with it's very own tab!

I just want it on the app so I can check it quickly every day. 

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2018 at 7:34 PM, iceiceblondie said:

Right, this is why I said I have tracking on, as in settings to block it are turned off. So my settings to block tracking are off. I don't know. I'm pretty computer savvy and it looks like I have all of my settings correct. Pretty frustrating as I've been trying to watch the musicals!

Okay, that little explanation reminded me a lot of that "Long, Long Trailer" movie with Lucy and Desi Arnez.
Desi was pulling this monster trailer in traffic. Lucy sat beside him navigating with the map.
Lucy yells "Turn right here!"
And  Desi and slams on the brakes, causing a traffic Jam as he negotiates a sharp right turn.
But it was the wrong turn.
Then Lucy explains to a bewildered Desi:
"You didn't let me finish! What I meant to say was turn right here left!" :rolleyes:

Lucy wasn't a natural red head, but I'm guessing that you are a natural blonde, right? ;):)

Just kidding with you.

I'm using a laptop PC, Win 7 pro OS, Firefox browser.
I always use the Private Browser with Tracking Protection on. 
When I want to watch a TCM Movie ON-DEMAND I open up their WATCH TCM Films page, while in another tab I change the Firefox Privacy settings to ACCEPT THIRD PARTY COOKIES AND SITE DATA: ALWAYS
and USE TRACKING PROTECTION TO BLOCK KNOWN TRACKERS: NEVER

I then return to the Films tab and click on the movie of my choice and sign-in with my TV PROVIDER.
That screen transitions back to the movie screen, and I click play, and the movie begins to load.
After a second or two, I then pause the movie, go back to my browser's privacy settings, reverse them, and then reload the browser privacy options page, and clear the cache of any cookies or site data.
Then go back to the films page where I left off, unpause the movie by clicking the play arrow.
Relax and enjoy the picture.
If I wish to watch another TCM movie after that, I repeat the above After I close and reopen a fresh private browser (which again clears most anything that might have gotten on-board during the interim, while resetting the browser). 
This way I can watch a TCM movie ON-DEMAND, and the most data that they can likely obtain from me is that I watched one of their movies, but hopefully nothing beyond that.
I've communicated with a couple of others on these boards that are now doing the exact same thing, so I know this works beyond myself.

You may need to dump Google Chrome (or at least stop using it with TCM) and make Firefox your default TCM browser.

Give it a try and re-post your results.

17 hours ago, LynnBlake said:

Thank you @ Stephan55! LMHO as I just saw at the top of this page is the schedule with it's very own tab!

I just want it on the app so I can check it quickly every day. 

Well, this is a crappy work, still in "progress" I think.
Someone in TCM la la land may yet get their head screwed on straight and address some of these legitimately concerning issues of ours.
At least we can hope so.... for a while yet, anyway. :rolleyes:

On 6/26/2018 at 7:05 PM, iceiceblondie said:

Any ideas if I can't get the movies to load even with tracking on? I have Chrome. Also tried clearing history and rebooting.

Strange, but when I reread your original post today, it made "perfect" sense to me. :huh:

18 hours ago, iceiceblondie said:

Perhaps I was just subliminally influenced by the reading of your second post?

Then again, while looking at myself in the mirror this morning, I noticed a few "blonde" hairs... which had me wondering about myself???:unsure:
However upon closer inspection I saw they actually lacked any pigment at all, so were really white (or grey) and not blonde.
For some reason I felt relieved.... :rolleyes:

Sorry, I meant this post to be kinda apologetic, but couldn't resist a little more "blonde joking" with you ;)
Hope you have a sense of humor? :)

I have discovered one "positive" thing with the otherwise crappy "New" web redesign, that almost makes it worthwhile.... -_-

I have yet to see a persistently annoying "Join the TCM Backlot fan club" Ben pop-up, on the Funky WATCH TCM, Films page.... :)

Of course with the now Mandatory ALLOW US TO TRACK YOU "sign-in" requirement they likely have no need for "Ben" to always pop-up and expand whenever a cursor is near anymore. :angry:
I had long suspected that "his" pop-up's "secret" purpose was more insidious than just annoying anyway.  B)

On 6/26/2018 at 5:28 PM, Stephan55 said:

What is the source of this information? :huh:

The responses to the reviews of the revamped app in the iPhone App Store.  The developers explicitly state that the schedule was removed because of user requests.

Thanks for the links to the schedule.  I'm pretty angry about having to use my browser to find this information when the app did so in a perfectly logical way for years.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Languorous Lass said:

The responses to the reviews of the revamped app in the iPhone App Store.  The developers explicitly state that the schedule was removed because of user requests.

That sounds like total hog wash to me.
After all these years of TCM ignoring user input from their own website, I find it extremely difficult to believe that they would be responsive to user requests anywhere, regarding anything.

If that be the case, then if they get enough negative reviews will they reverse what they have recently done?
I do not think that is likely.

What is more believe-able to me, based on past experience (my own and others), is that "they" do what they do, and did what they did strictly on the onus of their own CEO, with total disregard for what their subscriber users think or want, or think they want.
And "they" will continue to steam-roll on, until they get another "great" idea to change something or other, again, with no solicitation or user feed-back!

That is my considered opinion

Well, it looks like TCM has considered these comments about as much as a vegan would a beef steak. 

I just assume they paid someone cheap to put out the new site and that's the finished product. 

• Haha 2

Speaking of the TCM schedule, why is "Silent" listed as a genre while "Foreign language" isn't? :huh: I think if Silent is considered a genre then Foreign should be considered one too. Sometimes I miss an interesting foreign movie playing during the week because it is listed as Drama or Comedy or whatever. That's an issue I have with the schedule.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

Speaking of the TCM schedule, why is "Silent" listed as a genre while "Foreign language" isn't? :huh: I think if Silent is considered a genre then Foreign should be considered one too. Sometimes I miss an interesting foreign movie playing during the week because it is listed as Drama or Comedy or whatever. That's an issue I have with the schedule.

Good question GF, wish there was a good and simple answer for you.

I've noticed numerous little quirks like that, not only on the TCM schedule, but elsewhere.
Genres, and sub-genres, (i.e. a "Foreign" drama, comedy, musical, Or a "Silent" comedy, drama, romance, etc.) or any combination of genre/sub-genre (romdram, romcom, romcomdram, musical romcom,....)
I don't think that there is any recognized universal "standard" that applies the same everywhere.

Same thing at my local library, when I am looking for a film, or book or whatever.
(I mean "Fiction" and "Non-Fiction" covers a lot of ground.)
And with movies, Lots of different categories, but many can so easily overlap.
i.e. what makes an "Action film" different from a drama with action in it?
Can a "Family" film also be a drama, romance, comedy, or musical, etc.?
Where does one draw the line between a "Horror" film, and a "Sci-fi" that is also horror?
What about a "War" film with romance and action that happens to take place during a war?
And I think every movie has some drama in it, right? So why is drama even a category, except maybe to differentiate from a documentary? On and on, like that.
The Documentary section is much simpler to peruse.
I suppose it just gets too complicated and would confuse the restocking staff (as well as more of the patrons) so they just try to keep things "simple" and perhaps use whatever category label that the distributor used.

So one just has to kinda adapt to whatever, where ever.

Regarding TCM, I just generally look at the title and date first.
If the title is familiar, but the year is not, I think, maybe it's a remake that I haven't seen.
If a title is unfamiliar, I think, perhaps I've never seen it and may like to, so I delve a little deeper to find more out about it.
Sometimes one cannot tell by just the title what the films country of origin is, as it may be an English translation. 

Regardless, I have learned to not base too much credence on the "genre" that is posted, as I may not exactly agree with someone else about that, and I have noticed frequent errors.

A relatively minor "schedule" question that I have is with the posted year of a film.
Often I've noticed a discrepancy between what is posted on TCM and the copyright year given in the actual movie (generally written in roman numerals on the older "classics").  Why are they not always the same?

Perhaps we might both find some answers in those various "Sub Forums" on these boards?

Referred here from the thread regarding Xfinity/Comcast not showing up in the provider list via the AppleTV app.

Granted there are a lot of replies. but I'm not seeing anything about that...

I really need the schedule on my app - that's the reason I downloaded it years ago...I really don't think someone said that the schedule wasn't wanted - this is a great disappointment...sure, watching movies on a tinier than ever possible screen is fine, but the schedule helps me watch on my full-size television screen...sigh...

3 hours ago, judys said:

I really need the schedule on my app - that's the reason I downloaded it years ago...I really don't think someone said that the schedule wasn't wanted - this is a great disappointment...sure, watching movies on a tinier than ever possible screen is fine, but the schedule helps me watch on my full-size television screen...sigh...

Hi judy,
Since TCM's webpage designers have removed the former convenient access to the schedule/s from your "app," perhaps you can save and bookmark these links on your device?

(Copied and pasted from an earlier post in this thread)

See if these links work for you.

http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/schedule/west
http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/schedule/east

Just change the dates on the following to whatever you want to see that might be coming up.
Be aware that any TCM schedule beyond the current week is subject to potential change.

CST = Central Standard Time, you can change that to whatever your time zone is (EST, CST, MST, PST).
Always use the Year, month, day format. For the whole month schedule always enter the first day of the month.

Daily Full
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=CST&sdate=2018-7-01

Weekly
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=cst&sdate=2018-7-01

Monthly
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2018-08-01

If the links work for you, copy and save them someplace so you can refer back to them whenever you want.

I see I've been lulled into a false sense of security concerning the upgrade as up until today everything has been fine. Just now I went to Firefox and brought up the page of movies and none of them open. I can click on more info and it appears but clicking on play does not activate the movie. Luckily at some point the movies started playing on Google Chrome so for the moment I can watch the film. Anyone else having a similar problem?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andyg0404 said:

I see I've been lulled into a false sense of security concerning the upgrade as up until today everything has been fine. Just now I went to Firefox and brought up the page of movies and none of them open. I can click on more info and it appears but clicking on play does not activate the movie. Luckily at some point the movies started playing on Google Chrome so for the moment I can watch the film. Anyone else having a similar problem?

That just happened to me as well. I use Firefox. After closing out the site, I reopened it and the movies loaded with no issues. I assume it was a temporary glitch, but who knows.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, andyg0404 said:

That "peaceful" lull is generally the calm before the next storm.
With TCM, it's sorta like being in the "eye of a hurricane," and there are wave after wave of "hurricanes" when it comes to WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND!

50 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

That just happened to me as well. I use Firefox. After closing out the site, I reopened it and the movies loaded with no issues. I assume it was a temporary glitch, but who knows.

It worked okay earlier today for me as well, but after reading these last two posts, I had another queasy feeling in my gut.
I just attempted to load PARTY GIRL and had the exact same experience as described by andy. 
I closed out Firefox, reloaded, and same thing again, no matter what movie I tried.
Even after I "successfully" signed-in with my TV Service Provider I couldn't get a single movie to load.
No problem with the clips or intros, Just the main feature!

TCM is definitely dicking with us again! And as usual they do it with no lube.
Everything here is insecure enough, and I will NOT use another browser less safe than Firefox.
Stopped even troubleshooting with Google Chrome because their persistent cookies made their way into all of my other test browsers... infected all of them, even Firefox. 
I finally got rid of them but it was a chore, and I won't touch Google Chrome at all after that. So I cannot verify whether it "works" or not.
But I can attest that Firefox currently doesn't.

Who knows what shenanigans the "know-it-all" jerks are up to?... Again...

I am "trusting" that "somebody" at the TCM end will eventually realize that they have again broken something that was at least "functional" and hopefully will correct it.

Stuff like this generally happens when somebody from on-high tries to make some sort of "remedial" correction, to something else...
Maybe they are attempting to reinstate the "Expiration Dates" on the the Films page???? That at least would be something useful.
But as scsu1975 says, who knows.

I will try back later. But I'm not holding my breathe with any anticipation of watching an on-line TCM movie tonight!

Thanks for reporting this guys!
And thanks TCM for more of the same'O, same'O.... (crapola that is)! :angry:

The Edge browser always played the movies for me... now I have the problem of Play ...won't (play), although I can go to the info page, and play Live.  I go to Chrome and it will play... but I don't have the pop-up controls along the bottom edge of the video... so I can't pause/play, move the slider or go fullscreen, CC, etc.
Sad, sorry state of change... for what?  To dumb it down so they only have one interface for mobile and desktop?   Why can't they do their burn-in interface testing on their own computers, instead of us guinea pigs... besides that, they could leave the desktop interface the hell alone.  I hate these damn square (white) box UI's...  corporate cheapness taking us steps backward  ...just give me a viewer rectangle that I can make fullscreen and some darn mickey mouse controls... play/pause, rewind 20, ff 20, stop ...and a dumb text list of movies with a link to Play, if that makes you happy. One codebase for multiple platforms... is that what we owe this huge 'improvement' to?  Go back already.  You can't do "one screen to rule them all".

Well... like a half hour later, I refresh the screen on Films page, in Edge.  The movie I wanted is now in a different position on the webpage... but I can play it.
And... now Chrome can't...play it.
Maybe they're trying to prevent multi sign ins... we can only guess.
The not-playing is similar to what happens if you're not signed in, from what I could tell.
I'm not going to continue guessing... I suppose, having better things to do... not watching tcm. But with Edge, I have the video controls along bottom edge.