starstricken

New tcm Website?

75 posts in this topic

I think that I finally entered the Twilight Zone but can't find Rod Serling for assistance.  I just attempted to check the latest tcm "on demand" offerings and received a totally new tcm website format.  Viewers have the option of re-arranging the current selection into different orders, including "old to new" or "new to old", which seems very promising to me. There is also a new "information" button, but I could get no response when I clicked on a few selections.  This doesn't look bad at first glance, but I couldn't get anything to work.  In fact, I couldn't even access the new tcm website from my stored address/icon, which may mean that tcm has a new address?  Perhaps it just went "live", has a few kinks, and I'll be able to access it without all of these problems tonight when the popcorn is ready, and I have my boxes of jujubes and dots handy. Fingers crossed.  Thankfully, I have my old vcr library available just in case. Under the current circumstances, that ain't goin' anywhere!

• Like 3

I confess to being extremely resistant to change but I'm not thrilled with the new format. Seems much more busy and involved than it needs to be. Not sure what was wrong with the straightforward list of films available. 

• Like 4

This is interesting. Just tried to watch several films from the list and also the current film on watch live on Chrome and Internet Explorer and nothing would load. Absolutely no sign that anything was going to happen. Then I opened Firefox and the movie opened right up. Nothing on my system has changed, I'm still on my desktop running Windows 7 so I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. I'm glad that I'm not completely shut out from the site. Anyone else having this problem?

• Sad 1

I suddenly can't get a "Watch TCM" movie-on-demand movie to run or load at all. Of course it has something to do with them unexpectedly and just today changing the layout of their site. I am running Firefox (up-to-date) and I cannot get any film to load, nothing at all to run, except the basic graphic lay-out of the site. No film/stream will load at all. I also happen to be a Filmstruck subscriber and that site does load movies, albeit with a very annoying progress bar covering the bottom of the film. I even tried sending a message through their "contact us" portal about the website issues and even that feature wouldn't work. Any suggestions at all??  It's been working smoothly for me for months. I think the issue is on TCM's end.

• Like 1

There's an old saying "if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it."  It's too bad the folks operating the TCM website have never heard that one!  There were lots of good movies I wanted to watch, all hope's gone now. I can't sit around and wait for what I want to watch to come on,  that is why Movies-On Demand was such a great feature, and I am paying for it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello Everyone

We are aware that there have been some updates to Watch TCM. Often times, an old bookmark, or one that has been previously cached, may not take you to exactly the right place. Try using this URL: http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm

It might also be helpful to clear your cache/history. It could also be possible they have not cleared all redirects, and put new ones in place.  

For those using IE, we suggest trying another browser, like Chrome, Safari, or Firefox. 

We here on the message boards have no specific information, but these are general suggestions when there has been an update to some program. 

Hopefully this will help. If not, hang tight, it's possible they are still working on getting it all organized. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I'm an old computer hat: did all that stuff you mentioned; rebooted, turned settings on and off, cleared everything. I hadn't thought of trying Safari, so I'll do that. I even thought of installing Edge, but with a clean install of FF v60.0+ why should I bother? TCM shouldn't have rolled out this site re-design without fully testing it. It's obvious that it's broken. I could be spending my time better by watching great old movies instead of pulling my hair out over this site issue beyond my control. Of course, the wizards that manipulate the back-office web-designing never consider the end-user experience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I cleared the cache on Chrome as well and I always go to the site from Google but it still won't load. I guess I'm lucky Firefox works. 

• Like 2

OK, I finally figured it out, wow it took me all day, (wasted about six! hours on this.) Just like when Colombo had to watch the surveillance tape over and over to discover the mostly-hidden clue, what I detected as different here was that TCM was FORCING me to be tracked whenever I clicked a "play" button to run a video, something that was not required of my browser the way the old incarnation of the Movies On Demand site worked. Of course I feel this is rotten of Turner/TW/TCM or whoever owns and controls the network, because the spirit of TCM was to be commercial-free and thus non-exploitive. (Yes, exploitive is a word.)  Tracking me as I watch TV is the exploitative dream come true of all commercial enterprise, but something I wish not to be included in. So, I developed a work-around for this in FF and now have no worries, and I can play the content without the tracking; what they get is random gibberish. I just wished that TCM was more forthcoming in rolling this out, that the default no-tracking settings *IN THE BROWSER* would stop video play cold. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, andyg0404 said:

I cleared the cache on Chrome as well and I always go to the site from Google but it still won't load. I guess I'm lucky Firefox works. 

Allow in-browser tracking permission and the movies will likely play, you can't do it with add-on settings like turning off ABP.

• Thanks 1

More problems with the new Watch TCM page.  I can't get movies to load and when I leave the site it doesn't keep the movies I've saved to my watchlist.  

• Sad 1

On 6/20/2018 at 4:54 PM, andyg0404 said:

I'm not thrilled with the new format. Seems much more busy and involved than it needs to be. Not sure what was wrong with the straightforward list of films available

(In addition to the current dysfunctionality) Like yourself, I feel that this is way too large and cluttered with a lot of wasted space. And much too time consuming to use.
I like to keep it simple so that I can see at a glance what has been added and an EXPIRATION DATE without unnecessary extra clicks!
As usual, this "new" design appears to be implemented by persons who never actually watch TCM ON-DEMAND!

On 6/20/2018 at 5:57 PM, joe paluka said:

There's an old saying "if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it."  It's too bad the folks operating the TCM website have never heard that one!  There were lots of good movies I wanted to watch, all hope's gone now. I can't sit around and wait for what I want to watch to come on,  that is why Movies-On Demand was such a great feature, and I am paying for it!

I primarily subscribe to TCM for the ON-DEMAND feature. That is what I am paying for.
TCM has long treated their ON-DEMAND and streaming customers differently. "We" don't qualify for the "same" "Original Unedited and Uncut", standards they promote for their regular TV viewers.
They ever more frequently subject us to "truncated" (cut and shortened) movies and movies in previously edited "Window-Box" format (even when they have previously aired them in normal format ON-DEMAND).
We now go through varying degrees and lengths of monthly ON-DEMAND streaming issues with stuttering, freezing, audio out-of-synch, "buffering" (no matter how fast our downstream ISP is), etc, as well as the various sign-in and server issues. etc. etc. etc. ...
When a movie is listed as "ALSO AVAILABLE ON WATCH TCM" at the end of a regular TV broadcast, it may or may not really be.
TCM is constantly screwing with us (ON-DEMAND users) at an ever more frequent rate, dicking with some features that have long worked okay (making them next to useless) while adding others that lack "user friendly" function. ALL without warning or explanation.
TCM NEVER directly RESPONDs TO OUR QUERIES... No matter whether we attempt to email, call or snail-mail them.
They evidently keep the Moderators here ill-informed as well... End result is they are often useless as any sort of intermediary "help".
It is quite evident that TCM either doesn't monitor their ON-DEMAND output, or simply doesn't really care about "quality control" regarding the customer/user end.

I have been a TCM TV watcher since 1994. Grew to become an avid Fan and supporter/promoter of TCM.
I joined these boards in 2008, and became a frequent TCM ON-DEMAND customer over six years ago (2013).

When the TV Service Providers did away with my ability to use my own DVR properly and started charging me monthly rent for a separate receiver for each TV, in 2015, I became a steady ON-DEMAND user.
Over these years I have seen a few improvements in TCM streaming picture quality, but those have been countered with an ever growing frequency of TCM "snafu's" preventing me (many of "us") from consistently enjoying these movies that I ("we") pay to view.
I have often posted here about problems and temporary work-a rounds regarding these ON-DEMAND issues. But I have come to realize that it is like spitting against the wind, as TCM doesn't listen to any of us here (or likely anywhere). So I have tried to be patient and resisted posting any more "updates" regarding the latest rounds of more of the same TCM ON-DEMAND problems.
TCM appears to be more interested in marketing their "Back-lot" and "Wine" Clubs than they are in providing us (ON-DEMAND customers) any tangible service. 
I still love the movies that TCM shows, but my extra tier TCM subscription fee should be all that I have to pay to receive and view them.
I am FED UP with all the 3rd party telemetry spyware, which shows what TCM really thinks of us, and TCM has turned this once avid fan into someone who is no longer.

There are limits to patience and I am reaching my limit.
I have just paid for another month of TCM with my TV Service Provider. I will give TCM until my next months bill to get this latest crap straightened out. If not by then, or if there is no suitable work-around to allow me to watch TCM movies ON-DEMAND and still preserve some modicum of my privacy while doing so, then I will cancel my TV subscription and just keep my ISP for other services that do work, without requiring me to surrender my PC to 3rd party spyware.

I am ever thankful for the thousands of videos that I have recorded over the years.
If TCM forces me to "quit" them, I will miss no longer being a current part of TCM. But my video library will be a comfort to me.

On 6/20/2018 at 8:55 PM, joe paluka said:

OK, I finally figured it out, wow it took me all day, (wasted about six! hours on this.) ... to discover the mostly-hidden clue, what I detected as different here was that TCM was FORCING me to be tracked whenever I clicked a "play" button to run a video, something that was not required of my browser the way the old incarnation of the Movies On Demand site worked. Of course I feel this is rotten of Turner/TW/TCM or whoever owns and controls the network, because the spirit of TCM was to be commercial-free and thus non-exploitive. (Yes, exploitive is a word.)  Tracking me as I watch TV is the exploitative dream come true of all commercial enterprise, but something I wish not to be included in. So, I developed a work-around for this in FF and now have no worries, and I can play the content without the tracking; what they get is random gibberish. I just wished that TCM was more forthcoming in rolling this out, that the default no-tracking settings *IN THE BROWSER* would stop video play cold. 

I agree whole-heartedly with everything you said here!
I stopped using MS Explorer years ago, and refuse to install MS Edge or anything MS past Win 7 (esp. Win 10, due to their persistent telemetry). Don't use Google Chrome for the same persistent "Spyware" reasoning.
Have been a Firefox user/supporter for a number of years now, and will continue to do so, so long as they put their users best interests first.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:01 PM, joe paluka said:

Allow in-browser tracking permission and the movies will likely play, you can't do it with add-on settings like turning off ABP.

Joe, for All of our benefit, could you please thoroughly explain in a post your "work-around for this in FF and now have no worries, and I can play the content without the tracking; what they get is random gibberish". 

Since this began yesterday morning (6/20/2018), I have simply given-up on TCM...
I use Win 7 pro, and the Firefox browser.
Thanks.

• Like 1

I'm also having an issue with the new format, both on Android and in Chrome. Apparently, when I select my provider (Xfinity/Comcast), it apparently tells me that the network is not included in my service (which is a total lie, as I do get the channel in my current package). So I'm basically unable to watch anything on Watch TCM. This has to be something having to do with the new website, as I was able to access Watch TCM before the change with no problem.

EDIT: Apparently, it will only allow me to sign in with the "Do Not Track" requests turned off. TCM, as a film student and film lover, I love you to death, but c'mon now. I usually have it on for a reason.

• Sad 1

I'm so mad that I just created an account.  Didn't even know TCM had forums, but I found this thread while Googling to figure out why I suddenly can't just watch a stupid movie.  Thank you to Stephan55 and joe paluka for already stating a lot of what I would've said.  I'll just add:

Helloooo, TCM?  Did you consider my scenario?  I use on-demand EXCLUSIVELY on my work laptop because the screen is significantly larger.  I do not care to share my personal activities with my employer, even though the occasions when I knock off work for an hour or two in favor of a movie are very rare and I highly doubt it would be an issue.  Doesn't matter.  I've specifcally configured Firefox to keep my personal activities private, and that's how it's going to stay.  I'll join Stephan55 in giving this a month, and if I can't return to watching movies privately after that, I'm gone.  It'll be a shame, since it's only been in the last year or so that I've been able to amp up my classic movies spending, but I'm sure I can find a way to divert that money elsewhere.  Please don't force me to start figuring out how.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Very unhappy with the revised Watch TCM app.  The daily schedule for TCM seems to have been deleted completely.  Only lists the current movie showing on the network and the next one scheduled.  But cannot open the movie pages to read articles etc on those two movies.  So apparently I have to go to TCM.com to read full schedule for the day and to open the movies I want to read more about.  Then I can go to the app to watch them.  Seems a step backwards and not at all customer friendly.  If TCM is putting such an emphasis on its On Demand capabilities in this app, is TCM aiming to become a streaming service only???????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There is no longer an option to view the daily or weekly movie schedule, unless I’m missing something. 

That seems to be a pretty important feature to omit!😠

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/20/2018 at 8:55 PM, joe paluka said:

OK, I finally figured it out, wow it took me all day, (wasted about six! hours on this.) Just like when Colombo had to watch the surveillance tape over and over to discover the mostly-hidden clue, what I detected as different here was that TCM was FORCING me to be tracked whenever I clicked a "play" button to run a video, something that was not required of my browser the way the old incarnation of the Movies On Demand site worked. Of course I feel this is rotten of Turner/TW/TCM or whoever owns and controls the network, because the spirit of TCM was to be commercial-free and thus non-exploitive. (Yes, exploitive is a word.)  Tracking me as I watch TV is the exploitative dream come true of all commercial enterprise, but something I wish not to be included in. So, I developed a work-around for this in FF and now have no worries, and I can play the content without the tracking; what they get is random gibberish. I just wished that TCM was more forthcoming in rolling this out, that the default no-tracking settings *IN THE BROWSER* would stop video play cold

Okay, I'll keep this post shorter and more to the point.
Joe, would you please explain for "our" benefit exactly what your "work-around" for this nonsense is?
I am sure that like myself, there are many of us who used to enjoy TCM ON-DEMAND that would love to discover a simple way to "now have no worries" and be able to "play the TCM content without the tracking."
I would love to provide TCM nothing but "random gibberish" for their latest efforts to again invasively screw with us, their bread and butter subscription customers!

If you fear that openly posting your "fix" in this thread will encourage someone at TCM to create a "work-around" for your "work-around" I really don't think that is likely as it has been quite obvious to me over the years that no one of any substance at TCM ever comes to these boards to read or consider the merit of any of "our" posted concerns.
However, you could offer to reveal your "solution" in a PM if that would make you feel more comfortable.
Please Joe, "We'd" like to know! ;):)

17 hours ago, Mardie said:

There is no longer an option to view the daily or weekly movie schedule, unless I’m missing something. 

That seems to be a pretty important feature to omit!😠

It's a huge feature for me -- I'd often pop open the app on my phone, check what was coming up that day or the next few days, read some of the articles if I was intrigued, and plan my watching/recording schedule.  Now I can do exactly none of that on the mobile app.  It certainly is a major step backwards.

• Like 1

With the new website, does anyone know how to fast forward/ rewind movies? I just watched an on demand movie, and an hour in, i missed a scene, went to rewind, and it wouldn’t let me! It just restarted the whole movie.

1 hour ago, GNO said:

With the new website, does anyone know how to fast forward/ rewind movies? I just watched an on demand movie, and an hour in, i missed a scene, went to rewind, and it wouldn’t let me! It just restarted the whole movie.

Place your cursor on the bottom of the screen so you can the horizontal line showing the time (see image below):

eYWgKB9.png

Then drag the green button left (to rewind a bit) or right (to forward a bit).

• Thanks 1

Like so many other websites and apps that have been updated, the new Watch TCM app has been rendered useless for my needs. I only watch films on my big screen TV and have neither the time nor the inclination to watch films on my phone or tablet. The old app allowed me to check the daily viewing schedule in a "TV Guide" format. I could scroll through the entire day's schedule, or use the forward and back arrows to advance or go back a day. I used the Watch TCM app solely for this feature multiple times a day, even while watching TCM since Xfinity's info guide is wrong (run times are way off) and incomplete. I also enjoyed reading the cast biographies and articles about films. I can't find any of these features with the new app. As far as I'm concerned, it's very user unfriendly. Why can't these web designers just stick to the KISS principle?

• Like 2

Why is there no Schedule selection available in lateset mobile app?

Or am I missing something in the new interface?

rm caras

Which browser are you using for fastwarding/ rewinding? I’m using Firefox, and It doesn’t have the green bar at the bottom for me to scroll.

6 hours ago, GNO said:

Which browser are you using for fastwarding/ rewinding? I’m using Firefox, and It doesn’t have the green bar at the bottom for me to scroll.

I use Firefox. If I place my cursor anywhere on the screen, the green bar shows up, telling me how far into the movie I am and how much time is left. Otherwise, the green bar will not appear.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, TCM - loving the new app! Any movie in your archive at my fingertips!

• Confused 2