Sign in to follow this  
cinecrazydc

Kaleidoscope: Hitchcock Unrealized

5 posts in this topic

Amazing that someone like Hitchcock wasn't allowed to do what he wanted. I tend to think Universal was protecting its brand of Hitchcock rather than offended by the content. What a shame. I cant imagine how this went down for him emotionally. 

• Like 2

I AGREE

On June 21, 2018 at 11:29 AM, MotherofZeus said:

Amazing that someone like Hitchcock wasn't allowed to do what he wanted. I tend to think Universal was protecting its brand of Hitchcock rather than offended by the content. What a shame. I cant imagine how this went down for him emotionally. 

I like how you put it BRAND OF HITCHCOCK. Was totally thinking this way; kudos on your marketing. I think Frenzy came out alright.

On 6/21/2018 at 8:29 AM, MotherofZeus said:

Lots of biggies weren't allowed to do that. Orson, for one ; but he was an enfant terrible. But, Rhea, what about Lawrence Olivier? He desperately wanted to do Macbeth for a movie. He couldn't get the money and couldn't get the help he needed.

Doozy of an article.

But yeah since 'Frenzy' is actually my #1 favorite Hitchcock film. I don't know how I feel about a potential rival. Lukewarm I guess.

Meanwhile, "Peeping Tom" (by 1/2 of The Archers) is one of the worst films I've ever been subjected to; so maybe its just as well that this thing never happened.

I wonder where the un-produced script is now, though. I've read Hitchcock's Notebooks but the collection wasn't definitive, or even good.

The best sketches for Hitchcock's films were apparently never done by him, but by his storyboard artist, Harold Michelson. Learned about him on TCM, I recall.

https://tinyurl.com/ya3vu7vb

(Saul Bass' work, below)

2-psycho.jpg?auto=format&q=60&fit=max&w=

• Like 2