Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Filmic Ailurophobia

42 posts in this topic

Sorry to inflict my travail on board members, but after recently getting over a strong bout dealing with Consecotaleophobia, which left me quite debiliitated, my former phobia, Ailurophobia came back to haunt me. Obviously this state of impairment first became noticeable when I saw the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" in my youth, and was forced to leave the theatre and seek medical care.

Since then, I have coped by only watching films without any dreaded objects which bring to mind the state of an ailuros receptacle. This is difficult since they seem to pop up in the strangest films so I am asking your help aforehand in listing any films which contain such, even if in small quantities.

Imagine my chagrin the first time I saw "The Godfather" and where in the book does it say anyone with Ailurophobia would need to be warned about such a scene, which has nothing to do with the Mafia or Italian-American relations with the Cosa Nostra? I also try to avoid any films which are described as having action scenes showing non-fatal terminal velocity from high rise apartments because that definitely could be a sign of an ailurophobic incident soon to appear. Just to be safe I also avoid films about witchcraft since familiarity can breed contempt and also a phobic reaction, that could turn into a psychotic one.

Though I love Alan Ladd, I also have had to curtail ever watching a film like "This Gun For Hire" under any circumstances, since I can't afford any more trips to the ER. Please list any films you know of containing ailuros action, but please don't mention the common word for this evil entity, as just hearing even that, can make me indisposed and you will be responsible for my decline and insurance costs. It is comforting to know that I am not alone in this, since H.P. Lovecraft apparently also suffered immensely from the same phobia. Thank you for your assistance in helping me deal with this affliction!

You'll have to endure the title card, and avert your eyes for a scene or two during this little gem from 1934. However, the amazing art deco mansion (built over a mass grave, of course), the back and forth between Vitus Werdegast and Hjalmar Poelzig, and a hint of devil-worship and human-flaying make it totally worth the risk! ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

Sorry to inflict my travail on board members, but after recently getting over a strong bout dealing with Consecotaleophobia, which left me quite debiliitated,

(Googles)...Fear of chopsticks??  

Still, as they say on TV, the mere fact that you have sought treatment indicates that you are not too far gone--Maybe if we started by pinpointing your fears:

hqdefault.jpg

my former phobia, Ailurophobia came back to haunt me. Obviously this state of impairment first became noticeable when I saw the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" in my youth, and was forced to leave the theatre and seek medical care.

Since then, I have coped by only watching films without any dreaded objects which bring to mind the state of an ailuros receptacle. This is difficult since they seem to pop up in the strangest films so I am asking your help aforehand in listing any films which contain such, even if in small quantities.

So, guess "Stephen King's 'Cat's Eye'" (in which the titular creature is good, and ultimately protects Drew Barrymore from other nasty supernaturalia) is out of the question, then?

• Haha 1

I was trying to play along and figure out the connections between all these movies based on context without looking up the word, but the older I get, the more easily frustrated I get, so I just looked up the word on dictionary.com. I won't spoil for everybody else. I feel pretty dumb now that I know what it is.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stevomachino said:

You'll have to endure the title card, and avert your eyes for a scene or two during this little gem from 1934. However, the amazing art deco mansion (built over a mass grave, of course), the back and forth between Vitus Werdegast and Hjalmar Poelzig, and a hint of devil-worship and human-flaying make it totally worth the risk! ?

Yeah, that is one of the absolutely most phobic-inducing films of all time! Even Poe was upset about it, and rolled over in his grave, mostly because of course they totally ignored his original story but still, heart palpitations are causing me to almost black out now. Thanks for bringing it up and it's so upsetting even the non-color black upsets me thinking about it.

Thanks, Stevomachino!

37 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

Bell, Book and Candle for sure!

Yikes, I once met a lady who said her ___'_ name was Pyewacket and I almost had to get oxygen, so I can totally relate, Yancey.

Merci eaucoup!

27 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I was trying to play along and figure out the connections between all these movies based on context without looking up the word, but the older I get, the more easily frustrated I get, so I just looked up the word on dictionary.com. I won't spoil for everybody else. I feel pretty dumb now that I know what it is.

Don't ever think you are "dumb", SE! Obtuse maybe, but dumb never...

Now you know I am just kidding so don't take me out of the will, okay? There was a potential joke there and I was forced to follow through. I would have said it to my own granny, so no offense intended.

• Haha 1

Strangely enough, I still recall the word ailurophobia from the 1969 thriller

Eye of the *a* which as far as quantity goes has more cats than most other

movies. Cave Girl, I think you would be wise to stay away from this movie,

especially the version shot in Purr-O-Vision.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Strangely enough, I still recall the word ailurophobia from the 1969 thriller

Eye of the *a* which as far as quantity goes has more cats than most other

movies. Cave Girl, I think you would be wise to stay away from this movie,

especially the version shot in Purr-O-Vision.

Easy for you to say, Vautrin knowing that I am an original fan club member of the Joseph Stefano group who are bound to watch anything ever written by the Outer Limits genius, hence I have had to only watch when Gayle Hunnicutt was onscreen. "Purr-O-Vision" sounds like something that was invented for the Dwain Esper movie, "Maniac" during the scene with the one-eyed creature that's orb fell out during a horror scene. It was utterly horrid and the movie should be banned. If P-O-V was combined with Smell-O-Vision it could finally bring more people back to the movies I am sure. 

Easy for you to say, Vautrin knowing that I am an original fan club member of the Joseph Stefano group who are bound to watch anything ever written by the Outer Limits genius, hence I have had to only watch when Gayle Hunnicutt was onscreen. "Purr-O-Vision" sounds like something that was invented for the Dwain Esper movie, "Maniac" during the scene with the one-eyed creature that's orb fell out during a horror scene. It was utterly horrid and the movie should be banned. If P-O-V was combined with Smell-O-Vision it could finally bring more people back to the movies I am sure. 

I haven't seen it in decades and have forgotten most of the details, including that Stefano

wrote it, and that Eleanor Parker was in it, doing the Bette Davis horror movie thing. The

movie is not available on YT, but the trailer is and it gives a good idea of what it is about.

White cat with blood all around its mouth and this ain't mouse blood, my fellow humans.

Too bad it's too late for an Eye of the Cat vs. Willard movie. A rat is a cat is a movie.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I haven't seen it in decades and have forgotten most of the details, including that Stefano

wrote it, and that Eleanor Parker was in it, doing the Bette Davis horror movie thing. The

movie is not available on YT, but the trailer is and it gives a good idea of what it is about.

White cat with blood all around its mouth and this ain't mouse blood, my fellow humans.

Too bad it's too late for an Eye of the Cat vs. Willard movie. A rat is a cat is a movie.

Oh, shucks...you said the "c" word!

Sorry I have to go take some Syrup of Ipecac now to release the victuals that just came up unexpectedly, Vautrin.

Oh, shucks...you said the "c" word!

Sorry I have to go take some Syrup of Ipecac now to release the victuals that just came up unexpectedly, Vautrin.

Sort of like a hairball. 

• Haha 1

Ipecac or Syrup of Squill's, either one, I don't care...

(Admit it, it was on your mind after the WC Fields thread.)

Blofeld loved that furry creature in the Bond movies, especially Donald Pleasence in You Only Live Twice

Blofeld.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I tried to keep quiet about it, but clearly the you know what has been let out of the bag by this point.

Of course, it's impossible now to look at Pleasance as Blofeld and not think of Mike Myers as Dr. Evil! At least for me.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's a few BOND flicks you'd have to avoid, and a specific DISNEY film too( that darn movie  ;)  ) , and even RALLY ROUND THE FLAG, BOYS has a black feline in some significant scene...

There's even a scene near the end of THE WIZARD OF OZ (when Dorothy is saying good-bye to everyone) that you should avert your eyes when it appears  ;) 

There's also a LAUREL AND HARDY short, I forget the title, but it's one in which they're returning to the LUNCH WAGON they operate, hilariously( as the opening title card informs) from taking a lunch break, and once they make a slight noise unlocking it's door discover it's been overrun by the critters!  :D 

Beware of THAT one, too.  :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Yeah, there's a few BOND flicks you'd have to avoid, and a specific DISNEY film too( that darn movie  ;)  ) , 

...Hey, I liked "The Cat From Outer Space"!  (Well, as a kid, anyway.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CaveGirl wants a movie about the roof, not one about Maggie.

• Like 1

A few no-nos

Harry and Tonto

The Aristo#a#s

The Three Lives of Thomasina

Any Eve Arden scene in Stage Door

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie

Bringing Up Baby

#a# People

The #a# Returns

The Adventures of Milo and Otis

The Incredible Journey

Alien

Kiki's Delivery Service

Oliver and Company

All the Tom and Jerry cartoons

Batman Returns

A character name in Goldfinger

And a certain long-running Broadway musical.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, EricJ said:

...Hey, I liked "The Cat From Outer Space"!  (Well, as a kid, anyway.)

I was really thinking of THAT DARN CAT  :D 

CINEMAINTERNATIONAL mentioned the TOM and JERRY cartoons, but ya gotta throw in SYLVESTER too, plus those SIAMESE( if you please) in LADY AND THE TRAMP.  ;) 

Then too, there's TOP CAT and his gang.  And, if ALL felines are included, you can't watch any PINK PANTHER cartoons, nor the opening sequences to any of that movie franchise, and you also have to avoid SNAGGLEPUSS, e-ven.....!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 6:48 PM, EricJ said:

Ipecac or Syrup of Squill's, either one, I don't care...

(Admit it, it was on your mind after the WC Fields thread.)

Never had Squill's...is it good?

On 6/21/2018 at 7:11 PM, LawrenceA said:

This is just overkill but I have a feline that if they are all offed at the end, I might watch it.