Sign in to follow this  
rayban

Grant Williams

64 posts in this topic

I just read a very long and very involved biography of Grant Williams.

Basically, it is an intense (overly-intense) appreciation of his work in film and television.

But it works overlong and overhard to prove that Grant Williams was NOT A HOMOSEXUAL.

Why not? - because there is no hard evidence.

For me, now, Grant Williams is obviously a homosexual.

And his homosexuality illuminates his work and makes it "different".

What's wrong with being a homosexual?

To write a defensive biography of an actor that strains to disprove his rumored homosexuality is a disgrace, I'd say.

Especially when the actor's "homosexuality" informs his work and makes it so "arresting".

The author's name is Giancarlo Stampalia and I would like to ask him, "Why, why?" 

You should be ashamed of yourself.  

GW00.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting post Ray. I guess we have to ask why you stayed with the book and read it all if you were struggling with the defending tone of Stampalia's work. Is it because there aren't other sources on the actor? 

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with an author trying to make a gay actor straight provided everyone knows it's just one point of view (and possibly fan fiction). We can also reverse this and say that authors who try to make heterosexual actors gay in books are also representing a point of view and fiction too.

Ultimately it comes down to the individual viewer's "relationship" with the performer on screen.

• Like 2

Why did I stay with the book?

Good question, TB.

I got a lot of information about Grant Williams' film and television work.

He spent three long years on "Hawaiian Eye" under his Warner Bros. contract.

And I did not know that he did so much episodic television. 

Also, I did not know that he claims to have been "blacklisted" in the industry.

And he gives two different stories about it.

It could not have been easy to write a biography about a actor who deliberately kept a low profile.

For me, the actor belongs in the rarefied world of Delmar Daves' "Susan Slade", where a young woman (Connie Stevens) almost dies when she learns that he has been killed in an accident.

(The author has a very low opinion of this movie.)    

MV5BNTI5NzYwMTc0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTE4

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, rayban said:

Why did I stay with the book?

Good question, TB.

I got a lot of information about Grant Williams' film and television work.

He spent three long years on "Hawaiian Eye" under his Warner Bros. contract.

And I did not know that he did so much episodic television. 

Also, I did not know that he claims to have been "blacklisted" in the industry.

And he gives two different stories about it.

It could not have been easy to write a biography about a actor who deliberately kept a low profile.

For me, the actor belongs in the rarefied world of Delmar Daves" "Susan Slade", where a young woman (Connie Stevens) almost dies when she learns that he has been killed in an accident.

(The author has a very low opinion of this movie.)    

You have to wonder if the author even likes the subject of his book. If not, then why spend all that time writing about him?

• Like 1

Good question - is the author a homosexual himself who is still of the opinion that it is BAD to be a homosexual?

file-1.jpeg

• Like 1

Grant William is similar to Kerwin Mathews another handsome B movie star.  They both had leading roles in science fiction classics- Williams in "The Incredible Shrinking Man" and Mathews in " The 7th Voyage of Simbad".  I'm no sure if Mathews ever came out as gay. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rayban said:

I just read a very long and very involved biography of Grant Williams.

Basically, it is an intense (overly-intense) appreciation of his work in film and television.

But it works overlong and overhard to prove that Grant Williams was NOT A HOMOSEXUAL.

Why not? - because there is no hard evidence.

For me, now, Grant Williams is obviously a homosexual.

And his homosexuality illuminates his work and makes it "different".

What's wrong with being a homosexual?

To write a defensive biography of an actor that strains to disprove his rumored homosexuality is a disgrace, I'd say.

Especially when the actor's "homosexuality" informs his work and makes it so "arresting".

The author's name is Giancarlo Stampalia and I would like to ask him, "Why, why?" 

You should be ashamed of yourself.  

GW00.jpg

Did his William's family have anything to do with the book?  The relatives of famous closet cases usually want to protect their family member secret- of course in this day and age writing about an gay star will probably sell more books .  On the other hand you have those ridiculous Darwin Potter slash biographies in which every male star in Hollywood was gay and has some hidden kink.

• Like 1

Just now, rayban said:

And, yet, Kerwin Mathews was obviously gay.

Interesting I'm a big Ray Harryhausen fan and grew up watching Mathews in those films and it never crossed my mind Mathews was gay.  I know I read that after he retired from acting he opened an antique shop in San Francisco.  😉

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Interesting I'm a big Ray Harryhausen fan and grew up watching Mathews in those films and it never crossed my mind Mathews was gay.  I know I read that after he retired from acting he opened an antique shop in San Francisco.  😉

Well, it's only my opinion.

8520d7dfed7535e4f4d3c5ec8b849049.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Did his William's family have anything to do with the book?  The relatives of famous closet cases usually want to protect their family member secret- of course in this day and age writing about an gay star will probably sell more books .  On the other hand you have those ridiculous Darwin Potter slash biographies in which every male star in Hollywood was gay and has some hidden kink.

No, his family had nothing to do with the biography.

I'm reading Darwin Porter and Danforth Prince right now - their "biography" about James Dean.

It is so shocking - I have to put it down sometimes.

Roddy McDowall was a favorite at all-male parties - because he went down on everybody?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rayban said:

Well, it's only my opinion.

8520d7dfed7535e4f4d3c5ec8b849049.jpg

It sounds as if he had a happier life with with his partner than poor Grant who never got married.  In slash fiction land maybe they went on date

• Like 1

Just now, rayban said:

No, his family had nothing to do with the biography.

I'm reading Darwin Porter and Danforth Prince right now - their "biography" about James Dean.

It is so shocking - I have to put it down sometimes.

Roddy McDowall was a favorite at all-male parties - because he went down on everybody?

Porters books only work as outrageous slash fiction- and should be marketed that way.   I do wish McDowall had written a book before he passed.  He took all those Hollywood secrets to his grave

2 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Porters books only work as outrageous slash fiction- and should be marketed that way.   I do wish McDowall had written a book before he passed.  He took all those Hollywood secrets to his grave

Well, he did publish those two books of photography.

According to Porter/Prince, James Dean and Roddy McDowall performed a well-received sex act at one of George Cukor's pool parties.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rayban said:

And, yet, Kerwin Mathews was obviously gay.

How is it obvious? Earlier in the thread you said Grant Williams was obviously a homosexual. Again how is it obvious to you? I'm just curious how you arrive at such a view.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rayban said:

Well, he did publish those two books of photography.

According to Porter/Prince, James Dean and Roddy McDowall performed a well-received sex act at one of George Cukor's pool parties.

Cukor did have pool parties in which young men cavorted naked - but from his bio he seemed be more into anonymous trade than actual stars but some of these guys did end up in bit part in Cukor's pictures.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

How is it obvious? Earlier in the thread you said Grant Williams was obviously a homosexual. Again how is it obvious to you? I'm just curious how you arrive at such a view.

Personally from his movie persona Mathews seemed very straight acting- well maybe it was all those swashbuckling roles.

Just now, jaragon said:

Personally from his movie persona Mathews seemed very straight acting- well maybe it was all those swashbuckling roles.

He has a good supporting role in the western BARQUERO (1970) and seems very straight in that one too. 

Tom Tryon is another gay actor who seems very straight in all his screen roles. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

He has a good supporting role in the western BARQUERO (1970) and seems very straight in that one too. 

Tom Tryon is another gay actor who seems very straight in all his screen roles. 

Mathews at least towards the end of his life seemed more comfortable with his homosexuality

• Like 3

Not too sure about Kerwin's Jack but that Pendragon guy does seem kind of gay😉

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

You mean that you've gone through your entire life without being able to recognize a gay man?

6 minutes ago, rayban said:

You mean that you've gone through your entire life without being able to recognize a gay man?

Recognizing a gay man on screen is different. How can you know what is the actor and what is the character he is playing? Nothing seems so obvious to me in a movie. So I am curious how you see it all so obviously.

It's such a silly question - so - I am not going to answer it.

40 minutes ago, rayban said:

It's such a silly question - so - I am not going to answer it.

We all look at things differently. You are picking up on things that someone else may not pick up on. And you may not be picking up on straight vibes in a movie that other people pick up on. So to ask how you see certain things is not silly. If someone said "I see green in that painting" but others did not see green they might ask "how do you see green? where is the green?" and hopefully the person would explain it.

Of course you don't have to explain anything. But what really seems silly is dismissing a conversation instead of trying to clarify a point to help get a particular view across. That is all.

• Thanks 1