Zea

Spot The Star

21 posts in this topic

Anyone notice Rita Moreno as a very minor character (Zelda) in "Singin In The Rain?"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walter3rd said:

And of course George Chakiris is one of the dancers in Rosemary Clooney's solo in White Christmas.

Fun tidbit. You'll also see George at the "Inn" as one of the backup dancers & then suddenly he's in NY with "Betty" - ah movie magic.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Walter3rd said:

And of course George Chakiris is one of the dancers in Rosemary Clooney's solo in White Christmas.

Chakiris was also a dancer in the male ensemble that accompaniedMarilyn Monroe in the "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" number from "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zea said:

Anyone notice Rita Moreno as a very minor character (Zelda) in "Singin In The Rain?"

Growing up I was a big Rita Moreno fan. It always made me feel good that at least Gene Kelly had given her one role where she didn't have to play an exotic or ethnic type but could just play an Ordinary Girl.   *For that reason after receiving the Oscar for West Side Story she didn't work for years.

Another exotic role for Rita was as the slave girl in " The King and I ".

* Ironically, George Chakiris, who was not a real Puerto Rican like Rita, but had also won the Oscar for his supporting role in West Side Story, was given many opportunities to work in "A" movies after the win, unlike Rita.

• Like 1

Hal Linden is the singer of Midas Touch in the nightclub in Bells Are Ringing! Almost didn’t recognize him without his mustache. 

Just spotted Harvey Korman in Gypsy, as the press agent that comes in with the photographer near the end. I don't think he was in the opening credits, unless I blinked and missed it.

And Julie Newmar was one of the brides in "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." She later played "Cat Woman" in the "Batman" television series. 

15 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

And Julie Newmar was one of the brides in "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." She later played "Cat Woman" in the "Batman" television series. 

And brief cameo appearance in To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar (1995);  would you consider this film a musical?  It uses songs performed by other singers; there's a choreographed group number.  

Also it's being workshopped as a stage musical:   "In an interview with the Post, [Douglas Carter] Beane said he originally intended To Wong Foo for the stage. “I was a struggling writer trying to break into the theater,” he told Michael Riedel. “I was working as a nanny in Brooklyn, and every time the family went on vacation, I’d write a play. I started working on To Wong Foo but couldn’t figure out how to put a car onstage. So I turned it into a screenplay instead.”  Words and music team: "Douglas Carter Beane, the Tony-nominated playwright and book writer who made his screenwriting debut with the 1995 film, penned the libretto with a score by his husband, composer Lewis Flinn."  The score is "very Americana by way of Aaron Copland—there’s an opera vibe to it, and it’s very open-hearted.”      

And, hold onto your tights, "Beane, who has also worked on stage productions of As Bees in Honey Drown, Xanadu and Sister Act., is also prepping a Robin Hood musical likely to debut in 2019."

On 6/27/2018 at 1:59 PM, EhlertML said:

Hal Linden is the singer of Midas Touch in the nightclub in Bells Are Ringing! Almost didn’t recognize him without his mustache. 

Hal Linden actually co-starred on Broadway with Judy Holliday in "  Bells Are Ringing " when he replaced the original actor in the Jeff Moss role.

Valerie Harper made her debut in 1957's "Rock, Rock, Rock" as an extra dancing teenager at Alan Freed's club. Don't blink, because most of her dance shots are super quick, except for this clip of her near the end of the film. youtu.be:RCt4_Dwt-Lk?t=4673.webloc

(Sorry I didn't know how to edit it to only include the clip she's in. It starts w/her but continues to the end of the film. But, hey, you get to see Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers and Tuesday Weld's debut, too:))

Barrie Chase was very briefly Fred Astaire's dance partner during the daydream sequence in DADDY LONG LEGS.

6 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Barrie Chase was very briefly Fred Astaire's dance partner during the daydream sequence in DADDY LONG LEGS.

And Barrie Chase also briefly danced with Fred Astaire doing the Cha Cha Cha during the "Too Bad" number in Silk Stockings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

And Barrie Chase also briefly danced with Fred Astaire doing the Cha Cha Cha during the "Too Bad" number in Silk Stockings.

I forgot about that number! Apparently, she also had bit parts in CALL ME MADAM, DEEP IN MY HEART, BRIGADOON, KISMET and PAL JOEY, but I've never spotted her- have you?

8 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I forgot about that number! Apparently, she also had bit parts in CALL ME MADAM, DEEP IN MY HEART, BRIGADOON, KISMET and PAL JOEY, but I've never spotted her- have you?

I never spotted her in Silk Stockings. I grew up fascinated by her long ponytail and I didn't recognize her at all the first time I saw it on television as a child.

I think it was only after I read Fred Astaire's autobiography as an adult that I went back and found her in the number. Apparently that was somewhat of an audition to become his TV dance partner.

If you've seen the first live special, you realize that she looks as though she could be a teenager or a college student-- she was actually in her mid-20s at the time. In Silk Stockings, she's wearing a short dark wig and she looks like an extremely mature woman who could be in her 30s or even early 40s.

But as a kid, I had no problem spotting George Chakiris in that number in White Christmas with Rosemary Clooney. He just really stood out. LOL

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I never spotted her in Silk Stockings. I grew up fascinated by her long ponytail and I didn't recognize her at all the first time I saw it on television as a child.

I think it was only after I read Fred Astaire's autobiography as an adult that I went back and found her in the number. Apparently that was somewhat of an audition to become his TV dance partner.

If you've seen the first live special, you realize that she looks as though she could be a teenager or a college student-- she was actually in her mid-20s at the time. In Silk Stockings, she's wearing a short dark wig and she looks like an extremely mature woman who could be in her 30s or even early 40s.

But as a kid, I had no problem spotting George Chakiris in that number in White Christmas with Rosemary Clooney. He just really stood out. LOL

I love her long ponytail, too! Brittany Spears owes her a debt for showing how to properly swing a ponytail. ?

I agree; you can't miss George Chakiris in WHITE CHRISTMAS. Speaking of which, Barrie Chase is also in it. She plays a chorus girl who says "mutual, I'm sure." I'll have to try to pay attention next time I see the film so I can catch her.

Just last night spotted yet another "later-to-be star" in the last ten minutes of the original  "PSYCHO"

Ted Knight. No dialogue. Just opening a door in police station for the viewer to see totally whacked and finally caught Tony Perkins as full-on "Mother". 

318886899_MV5BN2FhMjBjZDAtYjFmNC00NGEzLWEyOTItNTYxNWE3NTk3ZTdmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_SX1777_CR001777962_AL_.jpg.66c2429d738cc57e6536972be21d135a.jpg

Apparently his career didn't start as Ted Baxter's did: "...at a 5,000 watt radio station in Fresno...":D

Not sure if these count, but two actresses removed from films had them still in some scenes in long-shot.

In DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK, Darryl Zanuck removed 15 year old Linda Darnell from would have been a strong supporting role in her second film, after the studio head felt she would be a hit in her debut, HOTEL FOR WOMEN.  She was then paired with Fox' top male star Tyrone Power in DAYTIME WIFE.  She was replaced by Dorris Bowden, who unfortunately for her, had a much-curtailed part as the studio did not redo all the outdoor scenes with Darnell in close-ups or medium shots, since they had been done on location  in Utah.  Darnell can be seen in the background in a few scenes.

Likewise, when Vivien Leigh was replaced in ELEPHANT WALK due to a mental breakdown, ELizabeth Taylor was hired to take over, largely due to her similar height, and color.  Leigh was also left in some long-shots.

On 6/23/2018 at 7:33 PM, Zea said:

Chakiris was also a dancer in the male ensemble that accompaniedMarilyn Monroe in the "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" number from "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes".

George Chakiris was also a dancer in the male ensemble in the Heat Wave number with Marilyn in There's No Business Like Show Business