Charlie's Girl

Road to Bali

4 posts in this topic

I love the Road pictures but Road to Bali was not the best one, despite it being the only one filmed in color.  Hope and Crosby are one of my favorite comedy teams, they mesh so well together.  And Dorothy Lamour is gorgeous and exotic, possessing a languid, sultry New Orleans quality, at least in her appearance.  It isn't until she opens her mouth that Chicago asserts itself.  Prompted by Road to Bali, I went back and watched Road to Rio.  I've seen this movie many times but for the first time I noticed Gale Sondergaard.  Don't know why I missed her before.  I remember her mostly from the Sherlock Holmes film, Spider Woman.  She excels at cool, cunning, and sophisticated.   

• Like 2

I agree. Although I find it enjoyable on an individual level, "Road to Bali" (1952) is not the best choice as a representative example of the series at its best (neither is "Road to Rio," from 1947).  Any of the first four would be a better example of the development of this type of buddy film immediately before and during World War 2. My choices: "Road to Utopia" (1945) which turns the "tropical locales" theme of the series on its head by setting the action in Alaska. And "Road to Zanzibar" (1941) which takes the action on safari in Africa. It would also offer us a chance to see an early example of a double buddy movie, as Dorothy Lamour is teamed with Una Merkel (whom we saw in "42nd Street" in 1933), opposite Bob and Bing. At least a "Road" picture made the cut; better "Bali" than nothing.  By the way, another great Gale Sondergaard performance can be seen in the 1939 Bob Hope film, "Never Say Die."  She is the "black widow" who tries to marry Hope before he dies of a rare disease - a disease, it turns out, he does not have.

• Like 1

Actually, Dorothy Lamour was originally from New Orleans and went north in search of...a career in entertainment.  And just a back story about the entire Road series - each one was a spoof of a genre of films, not necessarily just meant to be globetrotting comedic musicals - Singapore was a spoof of South Sea Island movies, Zanzibar a spoof of African Safari movies, Morocco a spoof of desert shiek movies, etc - if you look at them in that vein, you can see that they're meant to be comedies with music... :-)

And other than Hong Kong (the weakest), I love them all, being a lifelong Crosby fan.

• Like 1

This was the fist "Road" movie that I ever watched.  It was enjoyable.  What are everyones favorite of the "Road" movies?