Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

democracy, civility, protest?

100 posts in this topic

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/sarah-sanders-will-now-get-secret-service-protection-after-restaurant-kerfuffle

None of the reporters against whom Trump has stoked anger will be getting federal security.

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders will now be getting Secret Service protection, according to the NBC News reporter Pete Williams.

It's not clear if there are severe extenuating circumstances driving the decision, but the change comes after Sanders has been in the spotlight for being asked to leave a Virginia restaurant over the weekend. According to the restaurant owner's account, she calmly asked the press secretary to leave after her staff was uncomfortable with her being there. Her food, already ordered, was on the house.

On Tuesday, the Trump campaign sent a fundraising email portraying the administration officials as the victims of widespread harassment. 

didn't realize the SS had to protect anyone from embarrassment?:blink:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Protest Isn’t Civil

Attacks on incivility are rooted more in preserving the status quo than in addressing ongoing harms and violence.

"In the long tradition of American protest, it’s incivility that has served as an alternative to violent resistance, and it is what has functioned best as an antidote to the violence of oppressors," .....

"....Poor people, immigrants, black activists, and perhaps LGBT employees at a restaurant in Virginia are bludgeoned into silence by the constant cry for civility, made to hold still as injustices are visited upon them.

Meanwhile, those with no real fear that they’ll ever wind up on the wrong side of the power dynamic in America can scold and hector. For the majority, the idea that civility might not be a panacea is purely abstract—there is little reasonable fear that the machinery of the state will be turned against them.

But that machinery is being turned against thousands, perhaps millions of people today. As King lamented, tranquility and the status quo will serve them precious little. Civility is an instinct that only serves to silence them. It is itself wielded as a cudgel against those already facing obliteration that dictates to them how they must face it. It snuffs out nonviolent and violent protest alike.

Civility is the sleep-aid of a majority inclined to ignore the violence done in its name—because in the end, they will be alright.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/06/the-civility-instinct/563978/?utm_source=atltw

Trade War Critics Propose Trump Businesses Sanctions

Punish the president, not American companies,

........Trump can “easily weather broad sanctions of the U.S. economy,” Ellison wrote in his article, titled, “Dear Europe, If You Want To Stop Trump, Sanction His Companies.” “But sanctions targeting his own companies will sting in a way that he cannot ignore.” 

Trump is vulnerable to business pressure because, unlike previous presidents, he hasn’t divested from his operations and has interests all over the world.

Ellison argued that the presidency has benefitted the fortunes of Trump and his family through massive tax cuts, China trademarks for Ivanka Trump’s business operations, plugs for Trump’s Mar-a-Lago on the State Department website, and a $500 million loan to a Trump-linked business operation in Indonesia announced days before the president demanded that sanctions be dropped on China telecom giant ZTE. 

“Don’t sanction or impose tariffs on Minnesota companies that share no responsibility for Trump’s policies,” Ellison wrote. Instead, he suggested that Europe and others boycott Trump properties, or block European money in Trump deals. “Just moving ahead on the planned placement of windmills near his Scottish golf course might be more likely to get Trump’s attention than a tax on motorcycles,” he wrote.

Europe’s problem dealing with Trump, Ellison cautioned, is that it has “failed to understand that ... like a dictator of a developing country, Trump is less concerned with the prosperity of American families ... than with enriching himself and his family businesses.”.......

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trade-war-critics-propose-trump-businesses-sanctions_us_5b3036c3e4b00295f15deaee?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067&__twitter_impression=true

;)

• Like 1

Portland Police Declare a Riot After Right-Wing Marchers Begin Beating Antifascists with Flag Poles

Homeland Security officers fired pepper balls into a crowd of leftist protesters. IMG_0969.jpeg

Portland police today deemed a march by Proud Boys and other right-wing protesters too violent to continue.

Marchers with the right-wing protest group Patriot Prayer beat antifascist protesters with wooden and PVC pipe flag poles that federal police had allowed the group to keep.

Portland police policy is to confiscate all possible weapons, and they did not allow the antifascist protesters to have flag poles. At least one protester was severely injured in the brawl and lay motionless on the ground after police broke up the altercation.

After two weeks where Portland's leftist protesters drew national attention for blockading federal immigration offices, right-wing groups led by Congressional candidate Joey Gibson returned to Portland in greater numbers than have been seen since last summer, seemingly bent on wresting back the spotlight with street violence.

Patriot Prayer attracted far more attendees than usual, including many men wearing black-and-yellow Proud Boy shirts and others dressed in costumes with helmets. They had a permit to march in downtown Portland. Many arrived from out of town via a chartered former school bus.

After several hours of being restricted to Terry Schrunk Plaza by federal agents, Patriot Prayer began to march toward an intersection filled with counterprotesters dressed in Black Bloc outfits.

Police in riot gear stood by but did not move to get between the two groups.....

....Portland police used flash bangs and pepper spray to drive the groups apart. They also declared the gathering a riot and ordered everyone to leave the area or face arrest.

Portland police did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

http://www.wweek.com/news/2018/06/30/portland-police-declare-a-riot-after-right-wing-marchers-begin-beating-antifascists-with-flag-poles/

A Year Later, the Fascists of Charlottesville Are Back for More — This Time Outside the White House

"... the white nationalist organizer of “Unite the Right,” Jason Kessler, is planning an event to mark the deadly demonstration. The approval for the “anniversary” rally outside the White House was granted by the National Park Service. ...

While many in the mainstream press pronounce disgust with Trump, they parrot his “both sides” attitude. According to Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting, in the month that followed the events in Charlottesville, America’s top six broadsheet newspapers altogether ran 28 opinion pieces condemning anti-fascist action, but only 27 condemning neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and Trump’s failure to disavow them.

These are the commentators who would sooner decry anti-fascists than the fascists they oppose, who would no doubt also prefer to see Sarah Huckabee Sanders served with “civility” in a restaurant after defending the caging of immigrant babies in camps. They are who Martin Luther King Jr. called the “white moderate” in his “Letter from Birmingham Jail,” “more devoted to ‘order’ than to justice.” .......

it is precisely in the name of justice, without which there can be no peace, that calls for civility and order in the face of white supremacist terror must be ignored.

To allow neo-Nazis to rally en masse without vigorous counterprotest and intervention would not only be an affront to Heyer’s memory, but an abrogation in the struggle for justice. “It is easy to criticize militant action when you never leave the house or think that ‘resistance’ means sending a tweet or donating to a Democrat,” said Kelly, the organizer. “We were there. They weren’t.”

https://theintercept.com/2018/07/02/charlottesville-neo-nazi-washington-kessler/

• Haha 1

**** Off Mom Confronts Scott Pruitt at Washington Restaurant About His Many Misdeeds

“Hi, I just wanted to urge you to resign because of what you’re doing to the environment and our country,” Mink says. “This is my son. He loves animals. He loves clean air. He loves clean water. Meanwhile, you’re slashing strong fuel standards for cars and trucks, for the benefit of big corporations.”

Pruitt’s smile turns to a frown as Mink speaks, and he glances nervously to the man sitting across from him.

“You’ve been paying about 50 bucks a night to stay in a D.C. condo that’s connected to an energy lobbying firm, while approving their dirty sands pipeline,” Mink continues, reading from notes. “We deserve to have somebody at the EPA who actually does protect our environment, somebody who believes in climate change and takes it seriously, for the benefit of all of us, including our children.”

Mink concluded: “So, I would urge you to resign before your scandals push you out.”....

https://splinternews.com/****-off-mom-confronts-scott-pruitt-at-washington-res-1827299922

her response:

"As soon as my husband pointed out Pruitt sitting there, I knew instantly that I had to say something to him, it was just a question of what. His actions are the source of so much of my despair for my child’s future and frankly the future of humanity. He’s literally sacrificing our air and water, the well-being of coastal communities, all kinds of unique natural resources, for short-term personal gains. Buying stupid crap like a soundproof phone booth for his office and first-class plane tickets with taxpayer dollars, living in housing discounted for him by an energy group while he does favors for their clients. I honestly don’t know how he sleeps at night.

It feels very personal. That’s why I decided to introduce him to my son. Like, you are wrecking the earth THIS KID, every kid, will inherit."

• Like 1

Pruitt's frown turned even deeper a few minutes later when the man he was eating with

told him he would not pay for Pruitt's meal. :(

• Haha 3

Indianapolis church 'detains' Jesus, Mary and Joseph in protest of child separation policy

“A number of our congregants at the cathedral are first or second-generation immigrants and this situation is not abstract to them,” the Rev. Lee Curtis said.

34 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

**** Off Mom Confronts Scott Pruitt at Washington Restaurant About His Many Misdeeds

“Hi, I just wanted to urge you to resign because of what you’re doing to the environment and our country,” Mink says. “This is my son. He loves animals. He loves clean air. He loves clean water. Meanwhile, you’re slashing strong fuel standards for cars and trucks, for the benefit of big corporations.”

Pruitt’s smile turns to a frown as Mink speaks, and he glances nervously to the man sitting across from him.

“You’ve been paying about 50 bucks a night to stay in a D.C. condo that’s connected to an energy lobbying firm, while approving their dirty sands pipeline,” Mink continues, reading from notes. “We deserve to have somebody at the EPA who actually does protect our environment, somebody who believes in climate change and takes it seriously, for the benefit of all of us, including our children.”

Mink concluded: “So, I would urge you to resign before your scandals push you out.”....

https://splinternews.com/****-off-mom-confronts-scott-pruitt-at-washington-res-1827299922

her response:

"As soon as my husband pointed out Pruitt sitting there, I knew instantly that I had to say something to him, it was just a question of what. His actions are the source of so much of my despair for my child’s future and frankly the future of humanity. He’s literally sacrificing our air and water, the well-being of coastal communities, all kinds of unique natural resources, for short-term personal gains. Buying stupid crap like a soundproof phone booth for his office and first-class plane tickets with taxpayer dollars, living in housing discounted for him by an energy group while he does favors for their clients. I honestly don’t know how he sleeps at night.

It feels very personal. That’s why I decided to introduce him to my son. Like, you are wrecking the earth THIS KID, every kid, will inherit."

A lot of people will say it is discriminating or prejudiced or something similar to confront these people when they are eating.  To me, it is the price they pay for the decisions they make and the actions they take (or don't take).  It is people exercising their freedom of speech.

I do think that it is not good for the proprietor or others in the business to do it as that leads to no gays, no Muslims, no Blacks, no Jews, etc.  However, when a regular citizen feels they have to say something to a governmental official, that is America.  Happened to me often enough when I was on city council.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anti-violence protesters shut down part of Chicago freeway

"Thousands of anti-violence protesters marched along a Chicago interstate on Saturday, shutting down traffic to draw attention to the gun violence that’s claimed hundreds of lives in some of the city’s poorest neighborhoods and pressure public officials to do more to stop it.

Marchers chanted, “Stop the killing,” and carried signs reading, “We need jobs,” and other messages. Some stopped to scrawl on the road with chalk: “Enough is enough” and “Peace.” Toward the front of the march the Rev. Michael Pfleger, a Roman Catholic priest on the city’s South Side who organized the protest; Chicago police Supt. Eddie Johnson; and the Rev. Jesse Jackson linked arms.

“The people won today because the people showed up. They saw this many people out here, black and white and brown and young and old, and saying, ‘We’re tired of the damn violence in Chicago,’” Pfleger said....

Pfleger said the next step is accomplishing the actual goal — an “aggressive plan” to address the violence . Among the demands the protesters listed were more resources, jobs and better schools for their communities as well as stronger gun laws.

There’s a historical significance to marching along the Dan Ryan Expressway — a roadway some believe was built in the early 1960s to separate white communities and poor, black ones.

To the west of the new interstate were Comiskey Park, home of the White Sox, and neighborhoods such as Bridgeport, home to then-Mayor Richard J. Daley and his clan. To the east rose the Robert Taylor Homes, a high-rise public housing complex that became notorious for its violence.......

https://apnews.com/93705445c1d44d5b9b029f19359e5e6a?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=APCentralRegion

:unsure:

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Reportedly some of the individuals protesting McConnell's political stances also said:

" We will vote you out of office. "

The last time there was talk about voting McConnell out of office it was because he wasn't conservative enough.

He won with 56% of the vote in 2014,  which isn't that large of a margin.    Either way,  I wonder how many of those that were protesting know that he isn't up for re-election until 2020.    

• Haha 1

Ted LieuVerified account @tedlieu

My experience at restaurants: I ordered take out at a Greek restaurant. When I arrived, the owner saw me & threw in a free baklava (one of my favorite desserts).

He said he appreciated what I was doing.

I guess that's what happens when one opposes ripping kids away from parents.

:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I highly doubt she [Ivanka] would enter a foreign country with her children, illegally.    

Not the damn point!

6 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Not the damn point!

The first lady of Honduras discouraged citizens of her country from attempting to cross the US-Mexico border illegally and pledged to address the problems that led them to flee.

"Stay in the country and let's look for solutions to support you," Ana García Carías, the wife of Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernández said on Monday.
García Carías made the comments after touring an immigration processing center in McAllen, Texas, with members of a Honduran government child migrant task force that she leads. The first lady has visited shelters for migrants in the US and Mexico before; this visit marked her first since the Trump administration's zero-tolerance immigration policy took effect.

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The first lady of Honduras discouraged citizens of her country from attempting to cross the US-Mexico border illegally and pledged to address the problems that led them to flee.

"Stay in the country and let's look for solutions to support you," Ana García Carías, the wife of Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernández said on Monday.
García Carías made the comments after touring an immigration processing center in McAllen, Texas, with members of a Honduran government child migrant task force that she leads. The first lady has visited shelters for migrants in the US and Mexico before; this visit marked her first since the Trump administration's zero-tolerance immigration policy took effect.

Now there's a lady with common sense.

14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'll make it simple.  Ivanka is defending her father's policies or at least not criticizing them.  Your posts are irrelevant to that discussion.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheCid said:

Not the damn point!

Trump is doing this so that word gets back to others that would make the trip to the US that they face inhumane treatment during an extended detention with their children and possessions taken from them, perhaps to see neither again. He is hoping to deter immigration to the US, even by legitimate asylum seekers because all he sees are brown people. That is the point.

World Cup 2018: The Moral Clarity of **** Riot’s Protest

"On Sunday, in the fifty-second minute of the final game of the World Cup, four women dressed in Russian-police uniforms charged the field, briefly disrupting the match. They were members of the Russian protest-art group **** Riot.

**** Riot is often misidentified as a punk group, which is, in fact, only one of its many guises. The group, which was founded in 2011, is an open-membership collective that stages actions, documents them on video, and provides textual statements intended as clear and accessible explanations of their intentions and demands....

The group’s statement concluded with a list of demands:

1. Free all political prisoners.

2. Stop jailing people for social-media “likes.”

3. Stop illegal arrests at protests.

4. Allow political competition.

5. Stop fabricating criminal cases and putting people in jail for no reason.

6. Turn the earthly policeman into a Heavenly Policeman.

And so **** Riot became the only people to make a meaningful statement about Russian politics during the World Cup—and it came on the eve of Vladimir Putin’s triumphant meeting with Donald Trump.

They also created, on one of the biggest stages in the world, an image of unjust and arbitrary authority, the sort with which a hundred and forty-five million Russians live day to day....

https://www.newyorker.com/sporting-scene/replay/world-cup-2018-the-moral-clarity-of-****-riots-protest?mbid=social_twitter