Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

democracy, civility, protest?

127 posts in this topic

Black Lives Matter to stage counterprotest against 'White Civil Rights' rally in DC (Aug. 12)

"The Washington, D.C., chapter of Black Lives Matter is planning to stage a counter-protest against the "White Civil Rights" rally scheduled to take place near the White House next month. 

The organizer of last year's deadly white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va., received a permit in July to host a similar rally on Aug. 12 in the nation's capital.

The Black Lives Matter activists told a local Fox affiliate that they are disappointed the National Park Service approved a permit for the white nationalist protest. .......

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/399425-black-lives-matter-to-stage-counterprotest-against-white-civil-rights-rally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NPRVerified account @NPR 4h4 hours ago

 
 

Just in: Facebook says it has removed dozens of Facebook and Instagram accounts “involved in coordinated inauthentic behavior.”

 

Facebook says this included efforts to organize counter-protests August 10-12 for a white nationalist rally planned in Washington, D.C. that weekend.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chicago highway closure latest US protest targeting affluent

By DON BABWIN
 

CHICAGO (AP) — A planned march Thursday along Chicago’s picturesque roadway bordering Lake Michigan to one of the most historic baseball stadiums is the latest chapter in the nation’s long history of protesters targeting places where they believe their anger goes unnoticed.

The strategy, made famous during the civil rights movement of the 1960s, has gained steam lately as protesters speak out on such issues as police brutality, racism, immigration, and even Confederate monuments.

More than a half century after police attacked protesters as they crossed the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama, massive crowds are marching in such cities as St. Louis, Minneapolis and Los Angeles, blocking traffic and shutting down businesses.............

https://apnews.com/cd1bb17c68764a4eb16e8da3a243be0f?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=APCentralRegion&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alt-Right Rally With Guns Expected to Be Met By Antifa Counter-Protesters In Portland

"The rally is scheduled for Saturday and was organized by Patriot Prayer, a conservative group in the area founded by far-right congressional candidate Joey Gibson. The rally had been planned for months, but a last minute location announcement has Portland officials worried the demonstration could become as violent as the "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville last August. 

Gibson posted on Facebook that the rally would convene at the Salmon Street Springs water fountain at Tom McCall Waterfront Park in Portland. The location would allow the "Freedom March" participants to carry guns, according to The Oregonian. While the city of Portland bans weapons in parks, those with a valid Oregon concealed handgun license are allowed.

Portland officials are quickly looking to see if there are any options to restrict gun-carrying protesters, a police spokesperson had told the newspaper earlier this week. .........

https://www.newsweek.com/charlottesville-oregon-antifa-alt-right-rally-1056444?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=NewsweekTwitter&utm_medium=Social

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knell early and often. I've never been that interested in the pre-season.

I wait until the games really count.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Knell early and often. I've never been that interested in the pre-season.

I wait until the games really count.

Sorry but some of these player are idiots that have really have no understanding of what is going on;

“What NFL owners did today was thwart the players’ constitutional rights to express themselves and use our platform to draw attention to social injustices like racial inequality in our country,” Jenkins said in a statement in May.

AGAIN:  Here is what the First Amendment said:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Last time I checked Roger Goodell isn't a member of Congress!!!!!

Of course Trump is an a-hole for getting involved in something that isn't related to the Federal government,  and Goodell and the owners were morons for not resolving this dispute between employees and management by working directly with the NFLPA from the start.

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Sorry but some of these player are idiots that have really have no understanding of what is going on;

“What NFL owners did today was thwart the players’ constitutional rights to express themselves and use our platform to draw attention to social injustices like racial inequality in our country,” Jenkins said in a statement in May.

AGAIN:  Here is what the First Amendment said:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Last time I checked Roger Goodell isn't a member of Congress!!!!!

Of course Trump is an a-hole for getting involved in something that isn't related to the Federal government,  and Goodell and the owners were morons for not resolving this dispute between employees and management by working directly with the NFLPA from the start.

  

 

I wouldn't be too hard on the players because a lot of people don't realize that the First

Amendment applies to actions of the government and not to that of private entities. What's

funny is the outrage against such a small number of players who actually protest. I've already

seen comments on the net about how folks will never watch another NFL game again, etc.

No skin off my nose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I wouldn't be too hard on the players because a lot of people don't realize that the First

Amendment applies to actions of the government and not to that of private entities. What's

funny is the outrage against such a small number of players who actually protest. I've already

seen comments on the net about how folks will never watch another NFL game again, etc.

No skin off my nose.

I agree that the outrage about the protest is way, way over the top.   E.g. the last Super Bowl party;  Here I meet some people (like the father of a close friend),  I don't see often or know well;  I would say 25% told me that this was the first game of the season they have seen because they were boycotting NFL games until these protest where over.

These guys were MAJOR NFL fans (i.e. they would watch games on TV each and every time they were on).   BUT because of a little protest BEFORE the game,  they no longer watch the games??????       I tried to understand why but they were so upset I changed the subject! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree that the outrage about the protest is way, way over the top.   E.g. the last Super Bowl party;  Here I meet some people (like the father of a close friend),  I don't see often or know well;  I would say 25% told me that this was the first game of the season they have seen because they were boycotting NFL games until these protest where over.

These guys were MAJOR NFL fans (i.e. they would watch games on TV each and every time they were on).   BUT because of a little protest BEFORE the game,  they no longer watch the games??????       I tried to understand why but they were so upset I changed the subject! 

 

It is kind of funny. Something that lasts a minute or two at the start of a three hour + game,

and something you can skip easily. Guess they're all fired up. I was watching the Giants-Pirates

game but now it's a 11-3 SF blowout. Ouch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2018 at 11:40 PM, hamradio said:

Stocks will climb this year for...

knee-pads.jpg

Have a pair of these - work fairly well.  However, I did color over the "advertising" on them.

On 8/10/2018 at 11:38 PM, Vautrin said:

I wouldn't be too hard on the players because a lot of people don't realize that the First

Amendment applies to actions of the government and not to that of private entities. What's

funny is the outrage against such a small number of players who actually protest. I've already

seen comments on the net about how folks will never watch another NFL game again, etc.

No skin off my nose.

As I have said elsewhere, just eliminate the National Anthem from sporting and similar events.  Has no place there and never did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheCid said:

 

As I have said elsewhere, just eliminate the National Anthem from sporting and similar events.  Has no place there and never did.

I agree with that, but now with all the hubbub it would be hard to eliminate it.

Whoever followed through with that idea would be called unpatriotic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I agree with that, but now with all the hubbub it would be hard to eliminate it.

Whoever followed through with that idea would be called unpatriotic. 

Yea,  they should have removed the anthem from the broadcast the very first time Kapp protested, but now it is way to late to do so.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  they should have removed the anthem from the broadcast the very first time Kapp protested, but now it is way to late to do so.

 

 

That probably would have been the best way to go. Of course there would have been a lot

of B&M for the first few weeks, but people would have gotten used to it and the whole

thing would have died down eventually. Yes, not now. I read a newspaper column a few

days ago by a guy who came up with his solution--have an honor guard come in and then

everyone would say the Pledge of Allegiance and raise their voices when it came to the

final with liberty and justice for all. Not exactly a barn burner of a protest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

Mayor calls the brewer of Sam Adams a “complicit” profiteer of “Trump’s white nationalist agenda”

This is why Mayor Joseph Curtatone of Somerville, Massachusetts vows he “will never drink Sam Adams beer again”

https://www.salon.com/2018/08/14/mayor-calls-the-brewer-of-sam-adams-a-complicit-profiteer-of-trumps-white-nationalist-agenda/

This mayor must get his advice from Princess.    I.e. everything and anything is due to a white nationalist agenda.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/counterprotesters-expected-to-far-outnumber-white-supremacists-at-dc-rallies-2018-08-12

White supremacists’ D.C. rally fizzles, drowned out by counterprotesters

Tense day in Washington to mark anniversary of Charlottesville

 

What was promoted as a “white civil-rights rally” held near the White House on Sunday appeared to be a bust, with fewer than 20 attendees, while thousands of counterprotesters gathered nearby.

Jason Kessler, the white nationalist who organized the rally, told the National Park Service he expected 100 to 400 attendees. The rally began about 3:30 p.m. EDT and ended abruptly around 5 p.m., when Kessler and others were escorted away in vans by police. The even had been scheduled to run from 5:30 until 7:30 p.m.

The rally marked the anniversary of last year’s mayhem in Charlottesville, Va., in which white nationalists and their supporters clashed with counterprotesters. One counterprotester, Heather Heyer, was killed when a far-right protester drove a car into their group. Many others were injured, and two Virginia state troopers also died when their helicopter accidentally crashed.

For Sunday’s rally, held in Lafayette Square, District of Columbia police were taking no chances. Some offers were in riot gear, others on horseback. Metal barriers, dozens of police officers, and several yards separated the two groups. Counterprotesters held several rallies nearby, with some waving signs denouncing racism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us