Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

democracy, free speech, civility, protest?

255 posts in this topic

When a Muslim bakery refuse to make a cake for gays, we don't hear a peep from the media, activist, etc. There different standards from Christians?

StevenCrowder-MuslimBakeries-810px_810_5

26 minutes ago, hamradio said:

When a Muslim bakery refuse to make a cake for gays, we don't hear a peep from the media, activist, etc. There different standards from Christians?

No, it's no more right in my mind for a Muslim than a Christian to deny service. Intolerance is intolerance, and I don't care which magic book you pull it from. And before you say that I'm being intolerant towards those religions, intolerance for intolerance is tolerable.

47 minutes ago, hamradio said:

StevenCrowder-MuslimBakeries-810px_810_5

because the media knows they can get away with this double standard because despite their chronic frequent defamations against judeo-christianity they know dam well that christians don't habitually take leave of their senses and go murderously berserk!

here's an example, that schtootz Stephen Colbert who will often engage in comedic exchanges with God projected on to the ceiling of his stage. he knows he can get away with that but don't look to ever seeing Colbert having a facsimile of the prophet muhammad projected up on his stage ceiling for him to engage in a comedic exchange with...

politically incorrect and dangerous and Colbert and his peers know it!

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

Stephen Colbert is a devout Catholic christian, but he also has a sense of humor about it.

address my point...

but would Colbert ever project and image of the prophet Muhammad on his stage ceiling and engage in comedic discourse?

:D

Just now, NipkowDisc said:

address my point...

but would Colbert ever project and image of the prophet Muhammad on his stage ceiling and engage in comedic discourse?

Probably not. What was your point exactly? What do you want me or others to say? That some Muslims are radical and violent? You need someone to tell you that, or haven't the events of the last 20 years been proof enough? If you want me to say that all Muslims are radicalized and violent, I won't, because it's not true. Just as I'll say that not all Christians are knuckle-dragging morons. Some are, but most aren't. Just the loudest ones, usually. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm waiting. a hard one ain't it?

Give it a rest. I answer every question you pose. I'm not exactly The Flash when it comes to typing. 

And at least I answer eventually. I've posed several questions lately that have never received a reply, including to you.

Just now, LawrenceA said:

Probably not. What was your point exactly? What do you want me or others to say? That some Muslims are radical and violent? You need someone to tell you that, or haven't the events of the last 20 years been proof enough? If you want me to say that all Muslims are radicalized and violent, I won't, because it's not true. Just as I'll say that not all Christians are knuckle-dragging morons. Some are, but most aren't. Just the loudest ones, usually. 

then you doan deny that if Colbert projected the prophet Muhammad on his stage ceiling his life might be in imminent jeopardy?

thank you!

7 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

because the media knows they can get away with this double standard because despite their chronic frequent defamations against judeo-christianity they know dam well that christians don't habitually take leave of their senses and go murderously berserk!

here's an example, that schtootz Stephen Colbert who will often engage in comedic exchanges with God projected on to the ceiling of his stage. he knows he can get away with that but don't look to ever seeing Colbert having a facsimile of the prophet muhammad projected up on his stage ceiling for him to engage in a comedic exchange with...

politically incorrect and dangerous and Colbert and his peers know it!

Maybe Stephen Colbert should grow a pair and do a "South Park".  It's about time they learn Islam is not immune from satire in this country.  I'm not offended by people satiring religion, it's their First Amendment right.  Do Christ really care, my goodness after what he endured on the cross, he's going to worry about cartoons?

then you doan deny that if Colbert projected the prophet Muhammad on his stage ceiling his life might be in imminent jeopardy?

thank you!

Okay...and what did you just prove, exactly? 

Just now, LawrenceA said:

Okay...and what did you just prove, exactly? 

that hamradio is correct about the media's double standard dealing with islam.

lets see kimmel, bee, fallon, meyer, maher, all of 'em, engage in discussion with prophet Muhammad facsimiles but they won't.

they would be too scared to try...yet they have no problem with trashing christians and their religion.

phony bleeping hypocrites!

they deny what they know to be the truth even to themselves just so they can feed their liberal hatred of all things reflective of traditional christanity...

and they have the endless gall to complain about intolerance from others?

bleep 'em!

3 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

We make fun of Christianity because that's the majority religion in this country, and because there are no strictures about it. We're also a nation who supposedly has enough strength of character to laugh at those things and not go crazy over it. I would think you'd find that a point of pride. Islam is not the majority, plus they have strictures about depictions of Muhammad, so jokes about the religion and its central figure will seem like bullying a weaker group of people, as well as being blatantly disrespectful. There are many sources of satire of radical Islamists. Check out Team America or Four Lions, for example. 

As far as the Muslim bakery goes, as I've already stated, it's bad if they do it, just as it's bad if the Christians do it. If there wasn't an uproar about it, that's because people didn't hear about it. I haven't heard about it until now. If you're both trying to indict the media on that, that's fine. I don't know what you want anyone around here to do about it, since as far as I know, none of us work in the news media.

Finally, the point of this thread, I thought, was to discuss the loss of civility, respect and common courtesy with regards to our political and social discourse. How does this tie in with that, in your mind? 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

they deny what they know to be the truth even to themselves just so they can feed their liberal hatred of all things reflective of traditional christanity...

and they have the endless gall to complain about intolerance from others?

bleep 'em!

And this kind of post is a prime example of what this thread was meant to address. Nothing but anger, hatred, and bitterness.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I was going to bring that wedding cake issue up in response to Sarah's cries of "Bigotry" on twitter.

I mean, where was THAT cry of indignation from her when the Supreme Court backed the bakers on THAT issue?  And if she truly believes that businesses should by law reserve the right to refuse service to anyone based on WHATEVER motive, then she had NO right(or room) to complain of get into Twitter name calling. 

Man!  I can't WAIT for this administration to exit the White House and let some GROWN-UPS finally get back in there!  ;)   I honestly didn't think it at ALL possible for ANY president to make me wish that REAGAN was still in there!  :blink:

Sepiatone

It's so bad I think Richard Nixon would be an improvement.

At least -wise his daughters had enough sense to mind their own business.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

Nippy-- Have you ever known a Muslim person? Have you ever had a Muslim person as a friend?  Have you ever even been in the same room with Muslim people or had a discussion with Muslim people?

I have known Muslim people for decades. I first met many in college.

I found them to be human beings, just like anyone else and primarily concerned about their own personal lives and the well-being of their families.

It's easy sometimes to demonize a group of people or to Stereotype of a group of people when you've never met any person in that group.

It's true that There are evil and bad people in every group and in every country.

But I have to disappoint you about Muslims.

The hundreds that I've met over the years were  just very ordinary people like you and me.

• Thanks 1

There being so few Muslims in America as compared to Christians, it's more likely

you'll run into Christian bakers who refuse to make cakes for gays than Muslims

who refuse. 

Ava DuVernayVerified account @ava

“I’m not a fan of confrontation.

I have a business and I want the business to thrive. But this feels like the moment in our democracy when people have to make uncomfortable decisions to uphold their morals.”

- Stephanie Wilkinson, owner RED HEN

:unsure:

Young Trump staffers say they are having a hard time dating

"......Life as a Trump-supporting 20-something in D.C. seems to boast challenges distinct from the staffers serving less-authoritarian administrations, who did not face the formidable challenges of having a MAGA hat picture in their Tinder profile.

Past administrations brought their own set of woes to the neighborhoods around Capitol Hill, but in the era of Donald Trump, Politico reports that young appointees, lobbyists and staffers working for the president are wading into the murky waters of the by-and-large Democratic-leaning young scene, most of whom are understandably disenchanted by the Trump agenda. In other words, being a Trump staffer in a city in which only 4.1% of the population voted for Trump is a difficult experience......

https://www.salon.com/2018/06/22/young-trump-staffers-say-they-are-having-a-hard-time-dating/#.Wy5Ut-jAOIo.twitter

:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Vautrin said:

There being so few Muslims in America as compared to Christians, it's more likely

you'll run into Christian bakers who refuse to make cakes for gays than Muslims

who refuse. 

I seriously don't think all that many Christian bakers, with bills to pay and families to feed, will turn away what might be sorely needed business.  It really strikes me as an irresponsible business practice.

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I seriously don't think all that many Christian bakers, with bills to pay and families to feed, will turn away what might be sorely needed business.  It really strikes me as an irresponsible business practice.

Sepiatone

I agree that not many bakers, whatever their religion, would turn down customers

who are willing to buy a gay wedding cake. Fortunately, this guy is the exception.