Sign in to follow this  
mickeeteeze

Left Right Left.....

340 posts in this topic

I'll probably regret this, but here goes......

As a slightly left of center politico, I have a problem with the way both parties have sold out the middle class. They have both sent our industry overseas for corporate profit. I don't think they care one way or another about our strife.

Am I wrong? I might be. Tell me how........

I'll just make a quick suggestion before the real fun starts. How about changing the title of the thread to Left Center Right? Otherwise, it sounds too "military." ;)

>You're kidding ... right?

Or, it could be you're kidding ... left

My suggestion is that we keep this discussion in a "classic movie" context.

We can related it specifically to Sci-Fi movies. It will surely go off topic from there, but at least it will have a "classic movie" context.

Oh, I get it. I see now this is an spin off from "The Thing" thread. Okay, maybe it'll work. This may be one of the few threads though where you might need a crash helmet.

Well, I agree about linking it to movies ... not sure if we need sci-fi specifically, although that would be fun.

:-)

I'm a centrist, pal. this kinda stuff is always fun for me. But I'll passion with the rest of us......

Peace!.

Just wondering, have there been any movies made that reflects the Independent Party point of view? Should be just

of left and right.

All right, I'll start. I think both the Dems and the Reps have sold the middle class out.

I don't think either party gives a flying eff about you or me.

I also think "Iraq" was about spreading "corporatism". Not Oil.

Riches to those that are already rich.

Hows that for a start?

I'm a centrist too, but I'm a "militant" centrist, which means the right and left are constantly fussing at me.

Anyway, regarding our earlier discussion, my personal opinion is that a really great movie ? especially a sci-fi movie ? reaches a lot of people on a very fundamental human level, perhaps below the conscious mental level, and it allows different people in the audience to see the ?enemy? or the ?monster? as the particular kind that they ? as individuals ? fear the most.

And, I believe, that is why each of us sees the Dr. Carrington character in "The Thing" in our own particular way. Some might see him as a leftist, others as a ?mad scientist?, still others as an ex-Nazi.

While most of us are really not worried very much about a vegetable monster from outer space crash-landing in Alaska, we?ve all got our own ?monsters? to worry about, such as our bosses, or some crazy neighbor or a pit bull that lives down the street, maybe the IRS, or drunk drivers, or criminals, or any politician, etc., etc.

By the way, I once came face to face with Wernher von Braun, back in the mid-?60s, when I was a TV news cameraman and he came to New Orleans to visit the new NASA facility. He was eating lunch at a banquet, and I had to turn on my bright movie light to get the picture. When I did, he didn?t like my bright light shining in his face, and he looked at me and scowled. I immediately thought of him thinking in his own mind at that moment, ?You swine! 20 years ago I could have had you SHOT for doing that!?

>have there been any movies made that reflects the Independent Party point of view?

Umm .. Independence Day ?

*but I'm a "militant" centrist, which means the right and left are constantly fussing at me.*

Me too, believe me.

Message was edited by: mickeeteeze

>All right, I'll start. I think both the Dems and the Reps have sold the middle class out. I don't think either party gives a flying eff about you or me. I also think "Iraq" was about spreading "corporatism". Not Oil. Riches to those that are already rich. Hows that for a start?

I have a feeling that's too political and not movie-related enough.

Could we put it in a context of, let's say, "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"? Note that in that movie no one said what party they belonged to. There were just the "crooks", the "do nothing" crowd, and the one "good guy".

To answer your question, I would say yes. Lots of politicians have made money on this and other wars.

In fact, that was one of the themes of the movie "Reds", and that's what Warren Beatty said while playing John Reed.

>I also think "Iraq" was about spreading "corporatism". Not Oil.

>C'mon......no one disagrees with that?

Disagrees? I don't even know what "corporatism" is.

Dude.... I don't know which thread we're on!

All I Know is......

ANN COULTER=MICHAEL MOORER

RUSH LIMBAUGH=RANDI ROADES

And I will gladly debate anyone who disagrees with that.

>ANN COULTER=MICHAEL MOORER

Yeah, I always suspected Ann had a pretty good hook in the ring.

How about casting The Day The Earth Stood Still with liberals? Say, Al Gore as Gort?

Aha! You spelled the lefties wrong. It's "Moore" and "Rhodes." Freudian slips, maybe

;)

Hahahaha .... Fred.....

I figgurd if it was started.....fuggit, is all.

I'll debate politics here if they want.

Is it appropriate? No.

But, c'mon. Jakes been begging for it. Maybe thats why Cine Sage went off.....