Sign in to follow this  
mickeeteeze

Left Right Left.....

340 posts in this topic

"a special type of quarter horse"

Kyle, with all due respect to you...

Big Brown is NOT a quarter horse...

His stock goes all the way back to the Arabian horses the Arab's worship?

I know a little about this industry...

I love your post every day about Hollywood...

That is your forte and you do it very well...

"Neither was Eight Belles; if she had been, she'd be alive today."

Eight Belles will not be forgotten...

The racing industry is already making necessary changes that are long overdue to clean up the sport.

The majestic Eight Belles, imho, is dead today because of her handlers...the owner and trainer.

Fillies should not run with the boys...

That race broke her heart and body...

Like the other great fillie Ruffian...

Remember, though, the owner still won a lot of money and she was insured...

I am all for cleaning up the sport...

(I haven't heard anything about the race elsewhere so I thought I would comment on the thread on which a previous discussion regarding same had taken place. It's with no little trepidation that I revive this thread considering we already have at least one other political "melee" currently in progress. But I am a serial non-thread starter so I thought better to revive than to initiate)

And so to the race. It would have been nice if, and I know that a lot of people are disappointed that, Big Brown did not get the Triple Crown. But what actually happened was not without a certain high drama. First, the improbablity of what actually happened. Then, the breathless interview shortly after the race with the jockey in which he said, "I had no horse," and to the question, "What happened," saying (quite dramatically), "I have no idea." The sweat-drenched, braggadocio Dutrow who said, among other things, that a BB win was a "foregone conclusion." The decision to "ease" (is that the expression?) the horse when it was apparent that all was lost and that the well-being of the horse became the paramount priority. As a sports fan who is not that knowledgable about horse racing, I was amazed that this was done (now I know better), despite the fact that this decision was a no-brainer for an experienced jockey. The controversy regarding the cessation of steroids. The speculation about the hoof problem. And, of course, the heat. All the more interesting is that, based on examinations of the horse, no problem has been found. I think the heat is as good reason as any. Could it be that on any given day even the fastest horse might have wilted on a such a hot day. But whatever the reason, congratulations to Da'Tara for jumping out early bucking the odds (the longest shot at 38-1) with a wire to wire win on a miserably hot and humid day when catching up was just to difficult to negotiate, even for the great Big Brown.

Good morning laffite.

I, like a lot of folks, am mystified as to what happened to Big Brown in the Belmont.

What a big disappointment.

Some think the use of steroids had something to do with his poor performance.

Others, think he was not trained properly and frankly was not in shape for the mile and a half race.

I tend to agree with this to some extent.

And now fingers are being pointed at the jockey. I agree with those who say he gave Big Brown a very poor ride. I am not looking for a scapegoat. But it is what it is....

Have a great day...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/11/sports/othersports/11racing.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

Well this is what happens when people gambles, they lose. Horses are animals and don't give two hoots if we win or lose (money wise). This was only 1 race and the horse simply could just (like us) had a "bad day". Blaming the jockey is too premature at this point, besides don't most of us think that the jockey wanted to acheive the Triple Crown and get into the very rare Triple Crown Hall of Fame? Who WANTS to lose? Only 11 horses has ever won the Triple Crown and for Big Brown this was simply not to be.

There is an interesting history on the Triple Crown check http://www.horse-races.net/library/links-tchistory.htm

Hi Jake and HamR

From the NY Times article:

>Desormeaux?s job seemed to be in jeopardy when Big Brown?s trainer, Rick Dutrow, pinned the Belmont loss on him, claiming on Monday that he had unnecessarily restrained Big Brown in the early part of the Belmont Stakes.

I've just replayed that impromptu and rather feverish post-race interview with Desormeaux because I remember his saying something about this, to wit: "There were a couple times when he thought it was time to go and jumped into the bridle. By the time---long before we went into the last turn, I had no horse," which I take to mean that he restrained the horse in the early going.

My guess is that Dutrow is jumping on that. But the jockey did have the horse in good position for most of the race, third and not too far back, good position for the dash to the post. Right?

Dutrow is understandably looking for a reason and it would be a shame if he's simply grabbing at straws blaming Desormeaux so he doesn't have to take the blame himself (i.e., withdrawing steroids).

Hi Laffite and HamR...

Thought you might like to enjoy watching the greatest horse God ever made run a little bit...

That is a long time ago, I think I just graduated from high school when ole "Big Red" Secretariat won the Triple Crown (barely remembered it). The horse was a chestnut colt breed.

My mom always thought "Trigger" was the greatest horse God ever made. LOL!

_*A MODEST PROPOSAL*_

...namely, changing the name of this thread to FRONT AND CENTER (or something like that) for the the Fourth of July weekend, meaning we ALL have something in common and about which we all agree.

Message was edited by: laffite