Sign in to follow this  
klat29

missing scenes from movies

24 posts in this topic

just wondering if anyone out there has seen a scene from meet me in st louis right after the trolly song number where judy and tom drake are in the swamp before it becomes the fair and have a 4-5 minute scene talking about the future has any one ever seen this ???

I have not seen that bit of footage. It seems exceptionally long for a missing scene.

There are a few movies where I can recall missing scenes. I hope someone else can help you confirm your memory. For myself, I sometimes wonder if my own memories of "missing scene phenomena" were actually viewed, or were they dreams or other psychological occurrences?

I haven't seen that scene either however it would make sense if there was a scene like that because at the end of the movie Tom Drake's character says to Judy's something like "I liked it better when it was a swamp and there was just the two of us" and I've never understood that line.

I am nearly certain I've seen a clip of this missing scene you're talking about. After doing some sleuthing on the net, I've found that it was a scene with a song that Judy Garland was supposed to sing to Tom Drake entitled "Boys and Girls Like You and Me." I believe it was cut because it would have made the film run too long. Here's what I found:

"Judy Garland recorded a Rodgers and Hammerstein song called "Boys and Girls Like You and Me" for the soundtrack. A scene was filmed with Garland singing the song to Tom Drake after "The Trolley Song" sequence, but the scene was cut after the first preview. The footage no longer remains, but the recording does."

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:3NscIcZYrAMJ:www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp%3Fstid%3D310%26category%3DAlternate%2520Versionsjudygarlandtomdrakecutscene&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

"First intended as a duet for Alfred Drake and Joan Roberts, the Rodgers and Hammerstein song, "Boys and Girls Like You and Me" had been discarded from their 1943 Broadway triumph, "Oklahoma!" MGM producer Arthur Freed then purchased screen rights to the song, planning to interpolate it into the film score as a `Judy Garland (I)` solo, but her rendition was cut from the picture. Miss Garland`s Decca album of songs from the film included "Boys and Girls Like You and Me" in an arrangement similar to her MGM prerecording. Later, the ballad was chosen to be crooned by Frank Sinatra to Betty Garrett in another Arthur Freed production, Take Me Out to the Ball Game (1949), but again the tune was deleted. The footage of Judy singing the song to Tom Drake no longer exists, but on the Warner Home Video special-edition DVD, the original audio recording is played over Garland-Drake production stills. Only about two or three seconds of footage from this sequence may be seen on the trailer in which Tom Drake`s name is screened. It shows a medium shot of Tom Drake, and in the background, you can see some buildings supposedly under construction as they would appear in the blue hour before nightfall. Actually, it was just a backdrop for the scene that was filmed on a sound stage."

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/topic/6228/meet-me-in-st-louis.htm

Additionally, I'm almost positive I remember seeing a clip of this...I think the scene is supposed to be at the Fairgrounds (after the Trolley Song) and I believe the grounds are a muddy swamp (as referenced by Tom Drake at the very end of the movie - "I liked it better when it was a swamp"). I remember seeing Tom Drake carry Judy Garland over the mud as she sang to him. I don't remember where I saw all this...I think it might've been a special on TCM? Maybe?

Thank you for the information Julliard! I remain fascinated with klat29's memory of that scene: were there some versions released to theaters that still had the scene in full? Was it a trick of the mind in assembling bits of information from memory, with clues from the credits, and perhaps hearing the song somewhere? I have a handful of such memories (much shorter scenes though) from different films over the years and I still wonder if I really saw them, or were they created in the mind....

I've always been fascinated by the stuff that was cut from movies. So often you see a still in which the actors are in familiar costumes, but enacting a scene that isn't in the picture. Also, I collect the old movie magazines that used to present stories based on the movie scripts or early screenings, and the stories sometimes contain scenes that aren't in the final film.

And I can think of a couple of examples of scenes that people swear they saw in a theatre, but which aren't in the final cut.

> {quote:title=Ayres wrote:}{quote} And I can think of a couple of examples of scenes that people swear they saw in a theatre, but which aren't in the final cut.

Of course, back then the studios usually had "sneak preview" showings in advance of the actual release and would make additional cuts to the film depending on the audience reaction. So a limited number of folks did see scenes that never ended up in the final version.

Mata Hari with Garbo had scenes cut from it after it was re-released again - the scenes were deleted because the Hays Code decided when the film was re-released again, it became suddenly immoral! the scenes that were known to be cut (which were are in the original release in 1932)

are as follows: - in the beginning of the film the dance Mata does is much longer, more suggestive

- the scene in Mata's bedroom where you see Rosonoff leaving, well the original scene has Mata coming out of the curtains dressed in a completely see through negligee and then a very heavy love scene enfoldes

- another scene cut was when Rosonoff puts out the lights in his room at Mata's command, then after that they show a wonderful close up of Mata and Rosonoff picks up in his arms and carries her to his bedroom and a love scene unfolds.

This picture does exist in its enitrety and has been shown in Belgium, I have heard.

TCM owes it to us to see the original uncut uncensored version, they owe it to Garbo's memory and to her fans!

It seems that one of my memories of a "missing scene" was not imagination after all! I had a memory of a scene in Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry that never showed up on VHS or DVD, this clip from you tube proves that such fleeting memories and missing scene phenomena have a basis in fact and are not always dreams or hallucinations.

The scene I recalled was the 4th of 5 missing scenes on this clip: witnesses describe the Dodge Charger in greater detail in the version I remembered compared to VHS/DVD/Pay Channel versions!

[Missing scenes in Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jui18bHpDJQ]

It is amazing that it took me more than 30 years to find out how this happened. In a nutshell, scenes that did not appear in the theatrical release were added to extend playing time when the film was televised in 1978 and perhaps later.

Even more amazing is that somebody had taped the televised version of the film back in the day and were later able to certify that missing scenes existed!

Perhaps this will revive this thread!

Edited by: The_Wolf on May 26, 2010 11:10 AM tags added

Dobbs - that first shot is an "on the set" shot, not a scene-still. The second shot looks like something some magazine or portrait photographer came up with. Unfortunately, it's too small to see if there is a WB still code on it.

Thanks for the information about the first photo.

Several months ago, TCM aired ?Passage to Marseille? (1944), and I learned that the second photo below (with Bogart sitting down) is actually a scene from that movie, when he was in a prison cell on Devil?s Island. The light from above is the open ceiling where the guards look down on the prisoners, and on the floor are the shadows of some of the bars.

> {quote:title=The_Wolf wrote:}{quote}

> It seems that one of my memories of a "missing scene" was not imagination after all!

I had that very same thought for years about this scene near the end of Murder by Death:

The same person has posted three other Murder by Death deleted scenes on YouTube featuring a taxi, the "Charlestons" and an open-mouthed Eileen Brennan, and Richard Narita. I don't remember the taxi scene at all, but the other two scenes brought back memories. I think I saw the film several times on a local station in the late '70s and early '80s, minus the naughty bits but with these four scenes added.

The version of MARTY that was on Sunday, and the last few TCM showings, contain a scne that was excluded from MARTY showings for years. It is the scene in which Clara talks to her parents about meeting Marty, and how much she liked him.

what about all those missing scenes from Mata Hari with Garbo that were deleted when the film was re-released and censored by the hays code..............................give us the whole film, TCM!