Sign in to follow this  
Monik

The Journey (1959)

26 posts in this topic

"The Journey", with Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner, is my third favourite film, after Gone with the wind and Waterloo Bridge. I would be interested to have a discussion with people who have seen this movie. Thank you.

null

Here is a photo from a scene which isn't anymore in the actual version. After Fleming is operated by the doctor, Diana comes to see him and asks the major to release him. I don't know why it was cut this interesting sequence. Perhaps when they colored the movie (because if you look at the trailer, the film was originally sepia). So that is why, when Diana comes again to the major (in the kiss scene), he says :"I cannot help you. I told you _already_."

The Journey

Message was edited by: Monik

Thanks for the info and picture. I would have to say the dinner scene captivated me the most because Major Surov's tension was felt through his false sense of hospitality. His character undergoes a transformation throughout the film and it makes the ending heartfelt.

Thank you for sharing that interesting picture, Monik! I too am a fan of this movie and would love to see it brought to dvd WITH the deleted scene, if it were possible. In my opinion there simply aren't enough scenes between Deborah and Yul!

Here are some more photos. I must say that it was quite difficult for me to make a collection of more than 600 photos from this movie (mostly of them are screen caps).

If there is anyone who has the original photo from the kiss, please put it on this page devoted to the film.

Thank you.

The Journey

The Journey

The Journey

I am impressed that you've amassed 600 pictures relating to this movie!! I've barely found a half dozen or so!

Thank you very much for sharing these.

One of the things I enjoy about the movie is how much tension and suspense is created simply through character. Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner's characters never explicity explain their feelings for each other and he just keeps circling around her, prodding and trying to provoke a direct response from her. It's a fascinating "game" and the sort of obliqueness that you seldom see anymore in the movies.

"The Journey" is a very good film. I was very upset when I heard that it didn't receive any awards. The same thing happened with the Hitchcock film "Marnie", but that one recently received an award, after it was released on DVD. Maybe the same thing will happen with "The Journey", if they intend to release it on DVD.

If you have some new photos from the film and you want to share them, I invite you to post them on this special page, devoted to a very rare film, "The Journey".

Deborah and Yul

Deborah and Yul

Deborah and Yul

Deborah and Yul

This is a rare photo of Deborah and Yul :"Original caption: 3/21/58-Vienna, Austria: Ready to start work on a new movie, screen stars Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr offer pleasing smiles while attending a press conference in Vienna. The new movie, to be called "The Voyage," tells the story of Hungarian refugees during the October 1956 revolution. It will be filmed in Vienna, which was the center for refugees at the time."

You know, they were very good friends, until his death, in 1985. They had a great chemistry. I love to see them in "The Journey" and "The King and I".

null

null

> {quote:title=tobitz wrote:}{quote}

> On the September schedule!

That's great! Now I'll get a nice, clean recorded dvd of it. :) (I only have a vhs recording now)

Hey, "Journey" fans, here comes the kiss scene! I have taken the photos directly from the film!

The Journey

The Journey

The Journey

The Journey

Message was edited by: Monik

Great stills!

I absolutely love this movie, and I've only seen it once! I saw it for the first time on TCM about two years ago I would say. I really wish TCM would play it again, because I can't get it from a library or anything.

I think that Deborah and Yul are a great couple. And "The Journey", which was very famous in 1959-1960, is one of the best movies ever made. It is not a masterpiece like "Gone with the wind", but it has many qualities.

Here are 2 portraits of the actors. The second picture is from Cinemonde's cover, from 1958.

The Journey

Photobucket

I have an announcement to make! If there is anyone who is member of "Album Archivo Fotografico" and who has access to all the photos, please contact me at monik.ilie@yahoo.com

Thank you.

I sent an email to the Warner Brothers two days ago and I asked them to release "The Journey" on DVD. This is their reply.

I want to know your opinion about it.

"Thank you for visiting WarnerBros.com and sending us your feedback. We value

your comments and suggestions on improving the quality of our site and services.

Due to the volume of feedback we receive, we cannot respond to every one."

Here are some photos from the original version of "The Journey". They are taken from the trailer of the film. I am sure that some scenes were cut when the movie was colorized. As you could see, the initial version was sepia.

The Journey

The Journey

The Journey

The Journey

The Journey

The Journey

Well, that doesn't sound too encouraging. You are best off finding a name of someone in charge and writing them. I think it's better to write a letter than an email, I really do think it's so much easier for them to just hit "delete". So few people write real letters anymore, it might stand a better chance of getting noticed. Unfortunately, I don't have a name for anyone at WB.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Unfortunately, I don't have a name for anyone at WB.

I'd suggest George Feltenstein.

I would gladly send him a message, but I don't know his email. Could somebody help me?

I used to know Mr. Marc Brandon from Warner Bros. I had a talk with him a few years ago and I still have his email address. But, unfortunately, it is no longer available :( I wish I could do something to solve this problem. It's unfair that "The Journey" and many other very good films with Yul Brynner are not released on DVD, but we do see some uninteresting movies made in the 20's and the 30's, with gangsters and stupid screenplays, which are released for the public. Something must be done. I saw a thread on the imdb forum with the petition for "The Journey", but still nobody has taken any decision.

Marvelous!! Thanks for finding that, Monik. This movie gives new emphasis to the

phrase "come to the stable"... :P;)

It's unfair that "The Journey" and many other very good films with Yul Brynner are not released on DVD, but we do see some uninteresting movies made in the 20's and the 30's, with gangsters and stupid screenplays, which are released for the public. Something must be done. I saw a thread on the imdb forum with the petition for "The Journey", but still nobody has taken any decision.

Any luck so far, monik? Sometimes these things take time, particularly when they need to find adequate prints to use for the video transfer, or if the source material needs a bit of restoration...

I consider these 3 pictures as parts of the same deleted scene.

Look at the way he is holding her-the Major is very passional.

The Journey

The other 2 pictures are reproductions of the photos from the same set.

The Journey

The Journey

If you want to watch the entire film, you could find it on youtube.