Monik

A tribute to Vivien Leigh

144 posts in this topic

I am a huge fan of the British actress Vivien Leigh. I invite all of her fans to write their opinions, impressions, comments related to the life and career of this splendid, unique Scarlett O'Hara.

Vivien Leigh

Message was edited by: Monik

Get a glimpse here of a radiant Viv (and Laurence Olivier) in 1944 in this MovieTone newsreel:

http://www.vivien-leigh.com/dedication.html

And here are the Oliviers greeting one of my other favorite actresses upon her arrival in London:

http://www.vivien-leigh.com/marilynarrives.html

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

Thank you for your kind words, MissGoddess. And the clips are super :)

Here is another photo of Vivien. I've colored it myself.

Vivien Leigh

Hi Monik---that's a delicate job you did on the Viv photo, good work! It's lovely. I'll try to post a few more pictures later on. :)

She had one of the prettiest smiles in Hollywood. (The lovely FRANCES DEE was another actress whose smile just makes you...smile. Excuse the blasphemy, but look at today's Jennifer Garner. What a smile!) What a beautiful woman Vivien Leigh was. She was great! I think her role as Scarlett was one of the greatest female roles in motion picture history. Truly a sad end.

"You must have been a beautiful baby..."

BabyVivlingMother-1.jpg

BabyVivling-1.jpg

Little Miss Priss---it's ALL there, even at this tender age...

BabyVivling-saucepot-1.jpg

BabyVivling2-1.jpg?t=1211324616

> {quote:title=newclassicfilmfan wrote:}{quote}

> one of the most beautiful actresses. Please post a photo of Vivien and Marlon in Streetcar Named Desire - they both were gorgeous looking people.

VivandBrando.jpg

W H O T H E H E C K W A S I T T H A T S A I D

B R A N D O W A S N ' T T H A T G O O D - L O O K I N G

A M A N??????????????????

Thank you for posting the pictures below. Vivien Leigh's girlhood pictures makes me think of Elizabeth Taylor as a child. Beautiful.

These are some really nice photos! Vivien got my vote in that "most beautiful actress thread" we had going. She was really something.

CineMaven,

I has a friend in college who could care less about classic film among most things, but she always watched Streetcar because "that guy" was in it.

I thought Vivien was beautiful in all her films right up to the end in *Ship of Fools.* Her eyes were just striking.

HA!! Your friend has good taste...even if it's by mistake 'cuz (s)he didn't know the name of that guy.

I used to keep a messy bedroom back as a teenager. And I was warned by my mom to straighten up or she'd throw my things away. I didn't straighten up the room...

And that was the Big Sweep of 1967. My mom threw away tons of movie memorabilia including my newspaper clippings of the passing of Vivien Leigh. UGH!!!

Mothers!

Oh noooo! That must have been horrible for you.

I guess your mom wasn't one to fool around. It's similar to the "great vinyl meltdown of 1977" when my Mom moved my entire record collection next to the boiler in the basement as a punishment. All my original LP's were so much hot wax after that. (She claimed it was an accident)

I'm sorry you lost all your memorabilia. I don't remember Vivien's passing but it must have been big news. She was such an icon and only in her 50's.

In my opinion, Vivien Leigh, Olivia de Havilland, Hedy Lamarr and Gene Tierney were the most beautiful actresses of Hollywood's golden age.

Here is a photo of Vivien in her favourite film.

Water

What do you think about Vivien and Clark? I think that they were perfect as a couple. I would've loved to see her married to Clark than to Olivier. Her life would've been much more better. In fact, Clark said, in an interview from 1940, that he filmed with Vivien the wedding scene of Scarlett and Rhett (deleted from the actual version of the film :( ) and that he was very impressed with this moment, because he had recently married to Carole Lombard. I think that he loved Vivien and he admired her a lot. She was his most beautiful co-star. And if you want to know, they kissed many times in the original version of GWTW ( which is much more longer than the 212 minutes version).

Vivien and Clark

Vivien and Clark

Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable

I've read in an article that this scene was filmed 14 times. It is no longer in the film. Rhett kisses Scarlett after she has the nightmare. What we see in the actual film is only their embrace, not also their passional kiss.

Love scene from GWTW

I agree Monik---GWTW should have been longer, especially the latter half after Rhett and Scarlett's marriage. To think of the footage that was probably destroyed! What a waste.

It annoys me when people repeat the silly and unfounded gossip that Viv and Clark didn't get along. They liked and respected each other and in my opinion this shows in their scenes together.

Thank you for posting the pix of Clark and Vivien---I always enjoy seeing those. :)

I love the photo of Vivien and Marlon - they were both gorgeous to look at.

Vivien Leigh couldn't stand the way Clarke Gable's breath smelled cause he wore false teeth and she had to hold her breath and pull away from him every time he had to kiss her in a scene. I always hold my nose too cause I can see how Viv was cringing and pulling back.

> {quote:title=newclassicfilmfan wrote:}{quote}

> I love the photo of Vivien and Marlon - they were both gorgeous to look at.

>

> Vivien Leigh couldn't stand the way Clarke Gable's breath smelled cause he wore false teeth and she had to hold her breath and pull away from him every time he had to kiss her in a scene. I always hold my nose too cause I can see how Viv was cringing and pulling back.

If that's true, she's a remarkable actress because I certainly can't see any cringing! ;)

In Gone with the Wind, Vivien is always trying to push Clarke away every time he tries to kiss her. She looks like she's holding her breath and can't wait till the kissing scene is done. I read that she couldn't stand his breath and after that, it was hard for me to watch Gone with the Wind. But I do think Gable was quite handsome - from a distance

Hiya MissGoddess!!

Here Here!!!....lol.....i wish i was there as well......heehee.... Great Pics..all of them of Viv!! As u know Viv was my second all time fav actresses! Just beautiful!! And a GREAT actress!

ty again

AvaG :-)

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

Well then Vivien really deserved her Oscar because she and Gable had the greatest screen kiss in movie history on the road to Tara!

I always carry breath mints so I'd be happy take Gable with bad breath over most

other actors with minty fresh! He's one of the most dreamy creatures I've ever seen. :D

Gable is handsome, but I would say that I think Marlon Brando, Paul Newman and William Holden are much more dreamier.

Vivien deserved that Oscar - she said she couldn't stand Gable's breath and still gave such an outstanding performance.