Monik

A tribute to Vivien Leigh

144 posts in this topic

Coming up this Thursday, 10/23 at 8:30am Eastern on the Fox Movie Channel:

* *Anna Karenina* (1948) Vivien Leigh, Ralph Richardson, Kieron Moore.

Rejoice, Vivian Leigh fans! Next Wednesday, Nov. 5, TCM has no less than FIVE movies starring Vivian Leigh lined up, starting at 8pm Eastern:

* *Waterloo Bridge* (1940)

* *Anna Karenina* (1947)

* *Fire Over England* (1936)

* *That Hamilton Woman* (1941)

* *A Yank at Oxford* (1938)

I love this one, too. It's the kind of pensive posing they don't do in portraits now.

I don't think actresses even do "pensive" at all anymore. :P

viv-headdown.jpg

*I love this one, too. It's the kind of pensive posing they don't do in portraits now.*

*I don't think actresses even do "pensive" at all anymore. :P*

You're right, April. They don't do that at all anymore, as far as I can remember. And she does look lovely in this one. :x

I've just depleted my Kleenex with WATERLOO BRIDGE.

The scene with Myra and Roy dancing to "Old Lang Syne" is so exquisitely beautiful, romantic, and bittersweet.

I don't understand why Leigh tells Taylor's mother about her past.

Isn't it enough that Roy's social circle thinks she's already "common" because she's (gasp!) a dancer? I would've clammed up and married him. I mean, come on, a gorgeous, sweet, generous guy with a Scottish country estate and all that money and status?

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

I've just depleted my Kleenex with WATERLOO BRIDGE.

Can I get you a few more Kleenex, Bronxie? :)

I love the Vivien Leigh version, but I do wish they'd play the other remake, with Leslie Caron, a bit more often. It hasn't played for like 2 years on TCM

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> I've just depleted my Kleenex with WATERLOO BRIDGE.

>

> The scene with Myra and Roy dancing to "Old Lang Syne" is so exquisitely beautiful, romantic, and bittersweet.

>

WB is one of the "soggiest" movies for me, from the first strains of the music theme I

go all to pieces and it lasts to the end.

> I don't understand why Leigh tells Taylor's mother about her past.

> Isn't it enough that Roy's social circle thinks she's already "common" because she's (gasp!) a dancer? I would've clammed up and married him. I mean, come on, a gorgeous, sweet, generous guy with a Scottish country estate and all that money and status?

>

> Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

I never liked that aspect of the story either, it was made during war time though, and that

whole "don't disgrace Roy's war record" mentality, for the sake of being noble. It's the sort

of blind adherence to duty and tradition above all that John Ford excoriates in many of his movies.

WB is one of the "soggiest" movies for me, from the first strains of the music theme I

go all to pieces and it lasts to the end.

It is pretty sentimental, I agree there. The 30's version was pretty gritty, from what I remember (haven't seen it since it showed on TCM)

I never liked that aspect of the story either, it was made during war time though, and that

whole "don't disgrace Roy's war record" mentality, for the sake of being noble. It's the sort

of blind adherence to duty and tradition above all that John Ford excoriates in many of his movies.

Good point.

Funny that this thread should sprout up! I just bought Anne Edwards' biography of Vivien and in looking at Leigh's filmography, I was surprised to learn that she really didn't do many films. The bio was written in 1977 and I'm disappointed that there's no mention of Leigh's interaction with co-star Warren Beatty, who was with her in *The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone*.

Vivian Leigh alert:

*Caesar And Cleopatra* (1945)

Julius Caesar gives the famed Egyptian queen lessons in government.

Cast: Claude Rains, Vivien Leigh, Stewart Granger. Dir: Gabriel Pascal. C-128 mins, TV-G

(Showing overnight on TCM)

Coming up on _Thursday, March 12/Friday, March 13_ - two movies with Vivien Leigh!

*That Hamilton Woman* (1941) 9:30pm ET

Naval hero Lord Nelson defies convention to court a married woman of common birth.

Cast: Vivien Leigh, Laurence Olivier, Alan Mowbray, Sara Allgood Dir: Alexander Korda BW-125 mins, TV-G

hamiltonwoman.jpg

*Fire Over England* (1936) 4:00am ET

A British spy infiltrates the Spanish court to thwart their planned invasion of England.

Cast: Flora Robson, Raymond Massey, Leslie Banks, Laurence Olivier Dir: William K. Howard BW-89 mins, TV-G

fireover.jpg

It isn't often one can announce a Vivling movie coming to DVD, let alone via

Criterion but this September they will present us with That Hamilton Woman,

a ravishing looking Alexander Korda production that captures something of the

"mystique" generated by the handsome couple:

http://www.classicflix.com/that-hamilton-woman-criterion-collection-p-8764.html

Photobucket