*Waterloo Bridge* 630am Pacific

*That Hamilton Woman* 830am Pacific

> {quote:title=laffite wrote:}{quote}

> Next Thursday, Nov 5 on TCM

>

> *Waterloo Bridge* 630am Pacific

>

> *That Hamilton Woman* 830am Pacific

Hi lafitte. I believe they are also airing A Yank at Oxford that day, her birthday.

KingsleyLaurenceportrait-asBlanche.jpg

"So many people have condemned the play for its sordid theme," Vivien Leigh said in a 1950s interview about Tennessee Williams' "A Streetcar Named Desire," the vehicle for one of her most indelible achievements as an actress. "To me it is an infinitely moving plea for tolerance for all weak, frail creatures, blown about like leaves before the wind of circumstance."

>I believe they are also airing A Yank at Oxford that day, her birthday.

Thanks for the tip, I missed that.

Do you know who did that painting you sent Monik? I like it.

> {quote:title=laffite wrote:}{quote}

> >I believe they are also airing A Yank at Oxford that day, her birthday.

>

> Thanks for the tip, I missed that.

>

> Do you know who did that painting you sent Monik? I like it.

bonjour, lafitte,

The painter's surname is Kingsley, that's all I saw on the site I copied it from. It makes me think of Wilkie Collins' "Woman in White".

Bonjour Goddess

Thanks for the info on the picture.

I think I'm becoming fascinated with Vivien. I love her mouth and smile. I recently watched Anna Karenina (twice!) and there is a scene at the race track. Much to the consternation of an on looking Karenin she watches Vronsky racing. She has the binoculars to her eyes so we can't see them and she shows her reactions to what is going on with all kinds of little different things she does with her mouth. It's such a cliche anymore to rave about a beauty in the Golden Age, there are so many, but she is just out of this world. The things she does with her face and eyes in Anna make me want to identify with everything she's feeling. The second time I watched the movie, that's just what I did. It was all about her.

And now I have these three new movies that are going smack dab on a VCR tape, post haste. I can't wait to see them. (I have seen Hamilton but long ago).

//

Bonsoir, M. le pirate!

>

> I think I'm becoming fascinated with Vivien. I love her mouth and smile. I recently watched Anna Karenina (twice!) and there is a scene at the race track. Much to the consternation of an on looking Karenin she watches Vronsky racing. She has the binoculars to her eyes so we can't see them and she shows her reactions to what is going on with all kinds of little different things she does with her mouth. It's such a cliche anymore to rave about a beauty in the Golden Age, there are so many, but she is just out of this world. The things she does with her face and eyes in Anna make me want to identify with everything she's feeling. The second time I watched the movie, that's just what I did. It was all about her.

>

That's smashing! You have given me something new to look for next time I watch Anna. It's such a painfully sad performance. Vivien gives you the sense of loss, of a woman seeing everything she sacrifices her child, home and position for drift away. Her maturity as an actress by this point, coupled with her intrinsic emotional impulsiveness and still ravishing beauty really paid off in this role.

Tomorrow I see Viv on the big screen in her last great screen role, as the tragic "Blanche Dubois". I haven't watched A Streetcar Named Desire in years, it's always been too sad.

Like Garbo, she seemed drawn to the tragic figures...

> And now I have these three new movies that are going smack dab on a VCR tape, post haste. I can't wait to see them. (I have seen Hamilton but long ago).

>

> //

I hope you enjoyed them. I do wish TCM would air her early British films, too, like The Sidewalks of London, which is the best of them and one of her most varied and piquant roles.

annak-thedress.jpg

annak.jpg

I am dizzy. Your photos of Vivien Leigh made my head spin. There were a couple of shots where she looked very contemporary (21st century contemporary). And as I've said about Gary Cooper,

I think Vivien Leigh had such a sweet sweet smile. It makes her look so girlish and playful. But I do like her serious look as well. Iconic; almost...untouchable. I'm fairly awestruck by the first picture below. She's wearing the hell out of that hat, beautifully.

There were so many beautiful actresses back then. Your photos show just why Vivien Leigh... awww, I have no words.

colorpic.jpg

Next Tuesday, September 7 marks the first evening of TCM's Star of the Month

spotlight on Vivien Leigh. Don't miss a line-up of her early British films airing after the

documentary, "Scarlett and Beyond". All times EST.

8:00 p.m. Vivien Leigh: Scarlett and Beyond (1990)

9:00 p.m. *Dark Journey* (1937) Vivien Leigh is in love with a German spy, played

by the elegant Conrad Veidt.

10:00 p.m. *Storm in a Teacup* (1937) Vivien Leigh gets mixed up with a brash reporter played

by Rex Harrison.

12:00 a.m. - *Sidewalks of London* (1938) - In the best of the evening's films, Vivien plays an urchin

aided to stardom by street busker Charles Laughton. Enter third point of the

triangle: Rex Harrison.

If there's one movie in tonight's line-up you don't want to miss,

it's Sidewalks of London (at midnight, EST).

SidewalksofLondon.jpg

THANKS to TCM for giving Vivling her month. From Scarlett to Blanche, she

hauntingly portrayed women unguarded, unprotected and facing the worst

fears of her sex, leaving us a select canon of screen bravery unmatched before or since.

AnnaKarenina-1-1.gif?t=1285730282

It was wonderful to see, not only all of the films of Vivien Leigh, during her TCM Month, but all of the lovely tributes to her that were posted on this website. I found it fascinating that the trauma she suffered as a young child, separated from her parents, could have caused total destruction in her life. Instead, she developed into an extremely talented actress, who shared her deep emotions with everyone who had the wisdom to watch her work. In my novel, "Whispers from St. Mary's Well," which is available on amazon.com, the young child born in 1851 in St. Mary's County, Maryland, suffers a traumatic childhood, and the story reveals how she struggles, with the help of spiritual allies and a supportive community, to break free from the cycle of terror, abuse, and depression that threatens to destroy her life. My novel, like all novels, is strictly fiction, and it's a treat to connect with an artist, like Vivien Leigh, on Turner Classic Movies, and see both struggle and survival in the life of a real, and deeply-honored human being.

I adore this woman!!!!! Seriously, Vivien is my all-time favorite actress. I find her amazing for being able to put so much hard work and dedication in her performances even though her personal life was filled with so much turmoil and heartbreak. Especially in such a gruelling role that Scarlett O' Hara must have been. She never, ever dissapointed.