Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

Who Makes Ya Laff?

114 posts in this topic

Monty Python and the Holy Grail!!!! "It's only a flesh wound..." Hahaha. Cary Grant, especially in Bringing Up Baby, Arsenic and Old Lace and His Girl Friday. I love Marion Davies' comedies as well, particularly Show People. I love Bob Hope also. My Favorite Brunette and The Ghost Breakers (Pardon me, am i protruding?) are a couple of my favorites. Chaplin and Keaton are great also and I still enjoy the 3 Stooges.

I also really enjoy Wes Anderson's movies (The Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore are my favorites). And Steve Carell always makes me laugh even in sub-par movies. And Frances McDormand (one of my favorite actresses) cracks me up in Fargo and Almost Famous! I love her!! And, finally, When Harry Met Sally is hilarious! It's a modern classic.

OH! I forgot Woody Allen. I LOVE Annie Hall and Play it Again, Sam is great as well. Diane Keaton was great in Sleeper also. If only Woody were still making movies like these...Though I've heard that his latest movie, Match Point (I think that's the name), is really good. I guess we'll see...I just know I can't sit through another Anything Else (though the shots of NYC were really beautiful).

Am I shallow? Probably - but I can't get over Woody Allen's private life long enough to watch one of his movies. Actually I did start Annie Hall once and didn't get into it - but I'll admit that I didn't try very hard.

Woddy Allen is a superb film-maker, but his films aren't really laugh-out loud funny, they are more intellectually funny, if you know what I mean.

I love The Blackadder, a british TV series, that was produced by the BBC a few years ago. It is outrageously funny, but in a british way, don't know how much it would appeal to the american sense of humor. Anyone of you seen it?

I just finished watching "The More the Merrier" and couldn't help laughing at Charles Coburn.

I also love Jean Arthur as well as William Powell and Myrna Loy in "The Thin Man" series.

Tabitha

Ned Sparks makes me howl with laughter just by showing up. There are some moments of his in Lady for a Day and 42nd Street that are unforgettable. His deadpan style might be obnoxious to some, but an appearance by him spruced up many a scene in many a film.

I love Black Adder!! Miranda Richardson was hilarious as Queen Elizabeth. Fawlty Towers is another great Britcom I enjoy. Ahhh, I do appreciate British humor.

With regard to British humor, when I was a teenager I really liked a bunch of movies called the Carry On movies. I haven't seen these since I WAS a teen. (Long, long ago in a village far, far away - - - ) I'm curious to know if these are really good movies or if, as a teenager, I just didn't know good from bad. hehe I don't remember much about them except that I found them funny at the time.

I 'should' really try to at least watch a few Woody Allen movies - then I might now what I'm talking about - you know, contempt prior to investigation and all that - - -

W. C. Fields and the Marx Brothers have been favorites of mine for as long as I can remember. Also Harold Lloyd.

Later I got into Joe E. Brown. All of his early movies make me laugh and I thought he was hilarious in Some Like It Hot.

One of the funniest moments I've seen occurs in the mostly-only-mildly-funny Doris Day/Jack Carson picture, Romance on the High Seas. E.Z. Sakall and Janis Paige sit at a table listening to Doris sing a song with these lyrics:

I'm in love, I'm in love, I'm in love, I'm in love, I'm in love, I'm in love, I'm in love... [repeat 3 or 4 times].

When she finishes, Sakall asks Paige, "What was the name of that song again?"

Donald O'Connor never fails to make me chuckle in his "Make Em Laugh" scene in Singin in the Rain.

Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn together in Bringing Up Baby, especially the "I just turned GAY all of a sudden!!"

Judy Garland has her moments, too. Especially poking fun by singing "Vhen I Looooock at You..." in Presenting Lily Mars.

The Marx Bros: "Any closer and I'd be behind you!" and

"No, no. That was a typo. 'passed out', not 'passed away'. Well, here I am! Where's my lovely wife?"

~~~

But to put it as a more general post:

Lucille Ball, Donald O'Connor, Red Skelton, Judy Garland, and the Marx Bros. top the list every single time.

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen is No Time for Sergents with Andy Griffith. It was a 'Depends' movie for me. lol Of course, I adore Andy and also have most of The Andy Griffith show recorded. I think he's one of the funniest comedians ever - even funnier than Don Knotts. JMHO.

Abbott and Costello (I could watch Hold that Ghost constantly), the Marx Brothers, Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd.

Message was edited by:

kpierce624

Laurel & Hardy! Laurel to Hardy "I'm not as dumb as you look! Also the Three Stooges! Curly "There are three rings in marriage..The engagement Ring....The Wedding Ring and the SuffeRing"

CineSage Jr. makes me laugh! Bush, however, makes me cry. Back on subject, Bob Hope.