Sign in to follow this  
beastooge

Hal Roach shorts on TCM

92 posts in this topic

It's good to see the Hal Roach short MAMA LOVES PAPA (1931) with The Boy Friends finally coming up on TCM.

Can anyone tell me if that short has ever been shown on TCM before? I started keeping track of all the Hal Roach shorts shown on TCM since the first one I saw there, WILD BABIES! on June 10, 2006. I do not believe MAMA LOVES PAPA has been ever been on TCM before.

And a tip for everyone: don't miss it! It's a great one!

The Boy Friends "Mama Loves Papa" --

Yes, I REALLY ENJOYED IT and I sure hope they show more BOY FRIENDS shorts soon. Such wacky fun! Don't know if they ever showed "Mama Loves Papa" before. I started keeping track of Hal Roach shorts a few months AFTER you did. I've never seen it before this showing.

Sure wish they had a weekly Hal Roach program. They could easily show four 2-reelers in a 90 minute time slot. Maybe a Roach movie and a 2-reeler once-in-a-while in the same slot as well. I would sure look forward to a show like that each week!

Extremely exciting news for Thelma Todd, Max Davidson, and Hal Roach shorts fans:

http://www.edition-filmmuseum.com/product_info.php/info/p99_Max-Davidson-Comedies.html/XTCsid/9f7605354e3

And as if that one wasn't a dream come true for many of us, here's another:

http://www.edition-filmmuseum.com/product_info.php/info/p112_Female-Comedy-Teams.html/XTCsid/9f7605354e3

> {quote:title=TODDFAN wrote:}{quote}

> They look great, but are these German sets with another region code and how would you go about ordering them?

>

In the description for the Max Davidson set, at the bottom it says:

Region Code

O

All Regions.

Does that mean that the discs can be played on all systems?

As for ordering them, I haven't looked closely at the details, but I'm sure there's info on the site, or one can contact them and ask for details. These sets are so special and exciting that I'm not even concerned too much about such details. If they're in some unplayable region I'll find a way to make them work!

I saw "Three Chumps Ahead. I thought the sound was muddy, muffled and it was hard to hear the dialogue. In comparission Laurel And Hardy, The Three Stooges and Our Gang Shorts from the same era sound okay. Maybe they had some restoration done that the Patsy Kelly / Thelma Todd shorts didn't.

On a some what tangental note. Has anyone out there ever seen the made for tv bio pic of Thelma Todd? I haven't. It starred Loni Anderson, (yeah I know) who also stared in the Jane Mansfield Story, (which I have seen.)

The TV movie on Thelma Todd starring Loni Anderson was a travesity. Don't waste your time or money. It was based on a book that didn't have one word of truth in it.

My copy of White Hot: The Mysterious Death of Thelma Todd comes from the NBC showing of 5/5/91. AMC featured Thelma Todd in the Hollywood Ghost Story episode shown 10/13/2000. It?s been a while since I viewed those titles.