Sign in to follow this  
beastooge

Hal Roach shorts on TCM

92 posts in this topic

Hal Roach short coming!

THE CHASES OF PIMPLE STREET (1934) - Charley Chase.

Wednesday, July 14 at 7:39 P.M. (eastern)

This is the Chase short in which he and leading lady Betty Mack sing the popular tune of the day, "You Gotta Give Credit to Love". Most Chase fans consider his songs to be highlights of the films. They're catchy, clever, and frequently do fit in with the story. Chase wrote many of the songs himself, often sharing co-writing credit with Roach studio resident musical genius Marvin Hatley, and others such as actors Billy Gilbert, Eddie Dunn, and also writer - director Walter Weems.

"You Gotta Give Credit to Love" is one of the best, and is performed charmingly by Chase and Miss Mack. But something that many Chase fans may not know is that this was actually NOT a Chase or Hatley original. It was a hit song already popular at the time it was included in this short. It was written by the team of Sigler, Goodhart & Hoffman (but Charley Chase did provide a few lines of parody lyrics for his version). The song was recorded on 78 RPM records by the bands of Johnnie Davis and Don Bestor (I have both) in September and October 1934 and so would still have been currently being heard on the radio at the time this Chase short was released on December 22, 1934.

Man, I sure hope these end up on DVD someday! I keep missing shorts! :( When did this one show up on the schedule???? I need to check every day, but I "think" I just checked ahead 2-3 days ago, and saw nothing....sigh......

Heads Up!!! TCM is saluting Hal Roach every Wednesday in January: Highlights are 33 Silent Our Gangs, all 6 Harry Langdon Roach shorts, 13 Charley Chase shorts half of which have yet to air, all 40 Laurel & Hardy sound shorts along with most of their features, 6 Taxi Boys shorts, most of which I believe have yet to air and much, much more!!! Thank you TCM!!! This is truly a holiday gift from heaven!!!

> {quote:title=Shemp wrote:}{quote}

> MAID IN HOLLYWOOD (1934)

> Thelma Todd & Patsy Kelly

> Saturday 11/13 11:38AM Eastern

I am grooving on this today!!!! Love Thelma!!! Hotcha-cha-cha!

Monday, September 5, 2011, in a regularly scheduled time slot:

8:00-8:30pm - *Below Zero (1930)*, with Laurel & Hardy

This short is 21 minutes, so there should be no excuse for not airing the whole thing, as they did earlier this year.

The morning of April 16:

12:00 AM ASK FATHER (1919)

In this silent film, a young man asks his girlfriend's father for permission to marry her.

Cast: Bebe Daniels, Harold Lloyd, Snub Pollard.

BW-13 mins, TV-G

12:20 AM AMONG THOSE PRESENT (1921)

In this silent film, an ambitious young man poses as an English lord.

Dir: Fred Newmeyer Cast: Harold Lloyd,

BW-35 mins, TV-G

1:00 AM HAUNTED SPOOKS (1920)

In this silent short, a woman must marry and live in a seemingly haunted house to collect her inheritance.

Dir: Alf Goulding Cast: Harold Lloyd,

BW-25 mins, TV-G

1:30 AM GET OUT AND GET UNDER (1920)

In this silent short, a young actor races to get to the theatre on time despite a string of disasters.

Dir: Hal Roach Cast: Harold Lloyd,

BW-25 mins, TV-G

Sunday night at 11:34 P.M. (Eastern), after WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD -

WHAT PRICE TAXI (1932) - Taxi Boys series.

It's one of the two really good* Taxi Boys shorts. Wacky fun!

*Meaning, for one thing, Ben Blue is NOT in this one!

The 1937 Hal Roach short CONSTANCE BENNETT PRESENTS HER DAILY BEAUTY RITUALS is scheduled on TCM on Sunday morning, 5:53 A.M. (eastern).

By the way, I'm sure observant viewers have noticed that the print of this short that TCM runs has an incorrect end title attached. It is the end title from some unknown Educational Pictures film. In the kind of research challenge I welcome I decided to see if I can figure out exactly what Educational film that end title came from. I found that it is from a short called CROSS ROADS, released May 3, 1931, an entry in Educational's "Romantic Journeys" series

Good Work!

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}The 1937 Hal Roach short CONSTANCE BENNETT PRESENTS HER DAILY BEAUTY RITUALS is scheduled on TCM on Sunday morning, 5:53 A.M. (eastern).

>

> By the way, I'm sure observant viewers have noticed that the print of this short that TCM runs has an incorrect end title attached. It is the end title from some unknown Educational Pictures film. In the kind of research challenge I welcome I decided to see if I can figure out exactly what Educational film that end title came from. I found that it is from a short called CROSS ROADS, released May 3, 1931, an entry in Educational's "Romantic Journeys" series

> {quote:title=MickeyFender wrote:

> }{quote}Good Work!

> > {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}The 1937 Hal Roach short CONSTANCE BENNETT PRESENTS HER DAILY BEAUTY RITUALS is scheduled on TCM on Sunday morning, 5:53 A.M. (eastern).

> >

> > By the way, I'm sure observant viewers have noticed that the print of this short that TCM runs has an incorrect end title attached. It is the end title from some unknown Educational Pictures film. In the kind of research challenge I welcome I decided to see if I can figure out exactly what Educational film that end title came from. I found that it is from a short called CROSS ROADS, released May 3, 1931, an entry in Educational's "Romantic Journeys" series

> >

Thanks! After all, someone had to do it!

Actually, the incorrect end title spliced onto that print has caused at least one error to be made. In a review I saw, some gullible soul believed the unmatching end title was real and stated incorrectly that the short was produced by Educational Pictures. (It is most definitely a Hal Roach production and had no connection to Educational Pictures).